Page 4 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2016, 8:51 pm

zkydz wrote:
I get that way a lot when I have to answer things for real. But, in a situation like in school, it worked. I think it was the non-sequitor things that got them. I was small for my age. Then in 7th grade I shot up to 5'7" and they thought I was going to be a giant. But, then all of a sudden, a year later, they all caught up and passed me and I was back to being slightly less than average size.

take it from me, tall ain't everything. I'd trade it in a second for a genius IQ or bulletproof health.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

29 Feb 2016, 8:55 pm

zkydz wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
zkydz wrote:
I went one of two ways with that. I either got the crap kicked out of me because I was being the as*hole, or, if not, I really laid into them. Got pulled off more than one kid. Comedy hurt less and made me seem eccentric instead of something else that got beat up on. I mean, even if you won, it hurt like hell on the hands......or the behind in those days. Schools didn't have those qualms back then.

being a head taller and older than my classmates [I think I was held back in kindergarten] also helped, but verbally I was like a deer in the headlights, all tongue-tied.
I get that way a lot when I have to answer things for real. But, in a situation like in school, it worked. I think it was the non-sequitor things that got them.

I was small for my age. Then in 7th grade I shot up to 5'7" and they thought I was going to be a giant. But, then all of a sudden, a year later, they all caught up and passed me and I was back to being slightly less than average size.

Exact same thing happened to me, same ages and everything altho I never had any illusions about being a giant.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2016, 9:18 pm

Jacoby wrote:
zkydz wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
zkydz wrote:
I went one of two ways with that. I either got the crap kicked out of me because I was being the as*hole, or, if not, I really laid into them. Got pulled off more than one kid. Comedy hurt less and made me seem eccentric instead of something else that got beat up on. I mean, even if you won, it hurt like hell on the hands......or the behind in those days. Schools didn't have those qualms back then.

being a head taller and older than my classmates [I think I was held back in kindergarten] also helped, but verbally I was like a deer in the headlights, all tongue-tied.
I get that way a lot when I have to answer things for real. But, in a situation like in school, it worked. I think it was the non-sequitor things that got them.

I was small for my age. Then in 7th grade I shot up to 5'7" and they thought I was going to be a giant. But, then all of a sudden, a year later, they all caught up and passed me and I was back to being slightly less than average size.

Exact same thing happened to me, same ages and everything although I never had any illusions about being a giant.
I didn't think I would be tall. They did because I was a bit ahead of the growth curve. I just stopped growing. Well, until 24. That was the last time I remember being measured and it not changing anymore. Topped out at 5'8.5". Grew a total of 1.5" in 10 years....Now, I'm on the shrinking side of life.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2016, 9:45 pm

people of our vintage need to pay extra attention to our posture so as to avoid the old-age hump.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2016, 10:14 pm

auntblabby wrote:
people of our vintage need to pay extra attention to our posture so as to avoid the old-age hump.
Oh, I've already got what they called "artist arches" from being bent over a drafting board for so many years when young. Now, just old and out of shape.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2016, 10:17 pm

I've gotten into the habit of trying to flatten myself against the wall behind me, in order to ward off the hump. if I slouch my back starts barking at me [OUCH!] to stop.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2016, 10:26 pm

zkydz wrote:
Yigeren wrote:
Nobody likes me...

I'm not sure anyone has ever hated me, just strongly disliked me enough to make my life miserable.

????? I think you're pretty spiffy....what gives?

Thanks :) People in "real life" don't like me. Actually they just think I'm weird, usually. In elementary school the kids made fun of me and thought I was strange.

Then for a year the bad kids liked me because I acted out. Then I moved, and I got picked on, mostly by a group of girls along with some boys.

Many relatives have treated and continue to treat me like dirt. The only difference now is that their disdain is more subtle. Well, they think they're being subtle :roll:

They hate me because I'm just too much fun to despise. They must enjoy feeling superior.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2016, 10:38 pm

Yigeren wrote:
zkydz wrote:
Yigeren wrote:
Nobody likes me...

I'm not sure anyone has ever hated me, just strongly disliked me enough to make my life miserable.

????? I think you're pretty spiffy....what gives?

Thanks :) People in "real life" don't like me. Actually they just think I'm weird, usually. In elementary school the kids made fun of me and thought I was strange.

Then for a year the bad kids liked me because I acted out. Then I moved, and I got picked on, mostly by a group of girls along with some boys.

Many relatives have treated and continue to treat me like dirt. The only difference now is that their disdain is more subtle. Well, they think they're being subtle :roll:

They hate me because I'm just too much fun to despise. They must enjoy feeling superior.

I will paraphrase something a wise woman told me once. I was telling her that in all my years, nobody has ever called up and just said hey, how ya doing. No friends. No follow up. She asked me if it was the way I came across that made things the way they are.

It's a realization that I had been coming to anyway, but it did reinforce that I have a lot to do with it too. You grow up, never fitting in. Never being able to understand social things that just seem so easy to others. Those types of things. The difference is that I moved a bit and I am the only common denominator. Different areas of the country, couple of times out of country. Same results. It's got to be me.

And it's frozen me in my tracks. Afraid....no, terrified to move forward because I don't know what's going on outside my head. Not ever being able to tell who to trust. Never being able to tell when people are lying or the difference between social lies and meaningful lies. The overwhelming inconsistencies that plague my every day. The unexpected outbursts when overwhelmed.

This is how bad it has been all my life. I was in high school sitting with a guy (one of the few who would hang with me) and he turned and asked me one day, "Why do you always ask why people do things?" I didn't realize I was doing it. But, in retrospect, I guess I was just building my database.

So, I get it. Aye, and, I still think yer purty spiffy there lassie. (Gotta read that with a Scottish accent...just had Robin Williams dance through my head)

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2016, 10:53 pm

Yigeren wrote:

the way you might wanna think about it is, that you've just outgrown those people. :idea:

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2016, 10:56 pm

A few. And once online, someone went honest about it.

If people hate me out of envy, then they're more pathetic than any whinners I've met. I don't take "envy" as a valid reason.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2016, 10:56 pm

There's no such thing as "no reason". People have always had a reason to despise me. Mostly because I make them feel insecure because I'm either more attractive, intelligent, or both.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2016, 10:57 pm

Hmm, well in the case those particular relatives, they are actually just snobbish, awful, materialistic, nasty people with few/no morals. They are actually bad people. They did treat me badly because I was different, but that's not the only reason.

The kids in elementary school were just kids. The ones in high school were bad kids.

The people who reject me now are usually the judgmental, snobbish types. It's where I live that's the problem.

If "good" people get to know me they usually think I'm nice, but I never let anyone get to know me anymore, because I rarely socialize.

I'll go with "spiffy". It sounds like it means something good.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2016, 10:59 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Yigeren wrote:

the way you might wanna think about it is, that you've just outgrown those people. :idea:

Yes, that's why I avoid them whenever possible :D

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2016, 11:14 pm

Yigeren wrote:
.....I'll go with "spiffy". It sounds like it means something good.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=spiffy

Also can be switched or, used in conjunction, with 'Neato', 'Kean', 'Super'.

Usage:
"Wow Jenny!! That bike sure is Spiffy Neato!!"

Not comparing you to a bike. That would be ludicrous. You don't have wheels......

Maybe this is better:
Young man, voice cracking, braces glistening in the porch light...

"Gee Jenny, You sure are one Spiffy gal!!"

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2016, 11:23 pm

:lol:

I have a hard time believing that people ever really used words like "neato". I know that they must have, because the kids on the Brady Bunch said it a lot. People actually apparently liked to say "swell" a lot, too. But that may have been earlier.

I still remember when all the kids in my age group used to say "phat" all the freaking time. For just about anything. Definitely overused.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2016, 11:24 pm

Yigeren wrote:
:lol:

I have a hard time believing that people ever really used words like "neato". I know that they must have, because the kids on the Brady Bunch said it a lot. People actually apparently liked to say "swell" a lot, too. But that may have been earlier.

I still remember when all the kids in my age group used to say "phat" all the freaking time. For just about anything. Definitely overused.

swell is the cat's pajamas, the bee's knees :bounce: