Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Jazzyfizzle
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Mar 2016, 7:28 pm

Hi!

I'm new here but just need to ask a question for anyone in the UK, specifically from the south east. I got past the scary part last week of seeing my GP and he has agreed to refer me for an aspergers diagnosis and I was just wondering how long it takes from here? I guess I'm being impatient but I hate waiting for a letter or a phone call every day.

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2016, 7:31 pm

Hi there.

I'm in Scotland and it took about 18 months from initial referral , and then perhaps 4-6 months until my diagnosis.

Jazzyfizzle
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Mar 2016, 7:47 pm

Thank you! That's quite a long time but at least I have an idea now. When was you diagnosed?

QuillAlba
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2016, 7:51 pm

July last summer.

I was lucky enough to fall within the catchment area of Glasgow, even though I'm 40 miles away, otherwise it could have been longer. NHS is suffering under the tories and cracks are appearing.

Jazzyfizzle
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Mar 2016, 7:57 pm

That's true. It's a ridiculous amount of time for someone to find out if they are dealing with something that has such a large affect on their life.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2016, 7:43 am

Welcome,

Similar story here in Yorkshire. It took me around a year or so from GP referral before my 1st appointment. The evaluation took place over a couple of months, finally getting my diagnosis about 6 weeks ago. However, the team that evaluated me did let my doctor know that I'd been accepted around a month after referral - so I would check with your GP in a few weeks, just to make sure that your referral has been processed successfully.

That seems to be a pretty typical time-scale from what I've heard from other people on UK autism forums.