Yes 45%  45%  [ 13 ]
No 34%  34%  [ 10 ]
Don't know 21%  21%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 29

Noura4eva
Toucan
Toucan

02 Mar 2016, 8:10 am

Since i was a small child ( I am 46 now ) I have always drunk by sucking the drink between my tongue and the roof of my mouth that makes a very faint noise. A bit like how a baby might suck a bottle somehow.

My sisters always found it amusing and would copy the sound, and a few days ago one of my sisters mentioned it again, commenting on how I still do it.

Not sure if that might be considered a stim. I also do it with saliva ( Sorry I know that sounds gross )

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2016, 9:25 am

EzraS wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:
EzraS wrote:
I would say probably not officially, but close enough to being one. I think snaking occurs for the same reason and offers the same type of result as traditional stims.

What is snaking?

I have no idea. That's why I meant to write snacking :lol: Snacking, nibbling, grazing. Lots of times I like to eat things like potato chips (crisps) slowly one at a time for the constant sensory repeats. The sound of the crunch. The tang of the salt.

Oh me too! I've been told I am eating my chips too loudly, but my feeling is, that was the whole point of eating potato chips!

Noura4eva
Toucan
Toucan

02 Mar 2016, 10:08 am

I always try to eat potato chips quietly, I don't know why.

I don't like to sit around the table eating with other people as their eating noises annoy me.

Generally we eat in front of the tv so I don't need to listen. My husband has a habit of slurping soup
which annoys me too haha. Strangely so does looking at his feet. Yes I am officially out there.

Don't mind eating in restaurants occasionally as usually there is enough background noise to cover peoples chewing

Each to their own.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

02 Mar 2016, 10:20 am

It definitely can, even some NTs do it. "Stress eating", personally I'm the opposite and stop eating when I'm stressed. Since starting medication I don't really have any urge to munch on anything or eat when I'm not hungry but now I also don't get hungry very often either because of these pills, I just remember before eating all time before for not reason. Now there has to be a reason and I have to deliberately act on it.

Malaise
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Mar 2016, 2:38 am

I don't think it's necessarily connected to autism. Quite a few people eat when they're nervous or stressed because it's comforting or gives them something to do with their hands. I drink a lot of coffee or soda and have had to cut down to tea and water.