Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2016, 2:54 pm

I have AS characteristics, but am I too emotional? My husband says I'm the most emotional person he ever met... I was EI as a child. And I can name my emotions well too. I have emotional meltdowns they are so strong. I have emotion in my voice... but I have a hard time in social situations and obsessiveness... I am bipolar, would that make an autistic more emotional?

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

fawnboy
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Mar 2016, 3:04 pm

Angnix wrote:
I have AS characteristics, but am I too emotional? My husband says I'm the most emotional person he ever met...

it's a common misconception that aspies are apathetic! we actually have a lot of emotion - sometimes much more than neurotypicals - but in different areas. for example, i have an overwhelming amount of emotional empathy but a lack of cognitive empathy, so i get very strong feelings from people but can't predict and explain other people's complex emotions.
you should look up the different types of empathy! it's very interesting :)

AsahiPto17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Mar 2016, 3:46 pm

fawnboy wrote:
Angnix wrote:
I have AS characteristics, but am I too emotional? My husband says I'm the most emotional person he ever met...

it's a common misconception that aspies are apathetic! we actually have a lot of emotion - sometimes much more than neurotypicals - but in different areas. for example, i have an overwhelming amount of emotional empathy but a lack of cognitive empathy, so i get very strong feelings from people but can't predict and explain other people's complex emotions.
you should look up the different types of empathy! it's very interesting :)

That is actually a pretty helpful thing to hear, I feel like that a lot too. I get really emotional about things, but I don't always quite interact with other people in the right way because I'm not predicting how it will affect them emotionally and it makes me come off as being rude or uncaring... I think that doing research on this is probably a good idea because I think it seems like this is a really big deal, but at the same time it's pretty easy to overlook and ignore.

One thing I notice I do a lot is I am way too emotional about some things and under emotional about others. I also just feel like my emotions are very severe and sudden sometimes, and hard to predict, because it feels like most of the time there are a great majority of emotions that seem to be hidden away in my unconscious mind of something and they come out sometimes.

carbonmonoxide
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Mar 2016, 4:01 pm

I used to be 'too emotional' before I discovered I'm autistic. I remember when I started dating my ex I was trying to explain to him how I felt about things. I could then go from one emotional state to another for good two hours and every single of those emotions seemed so real when I was talking about it, and then I moved to another one and that also seemed real, but that one that I spoke about before seemed to disappear...

It all made perfect sense to me at the time but now I think it could be that I was trying to use my logic to deal with the new emotional situation that creating relationship was for me. It was easier and safer than admitting I didn't know how I felt and what to do about it.

drchcat85
Raven
Raven

04 Mar 2016, 4:14 pm

New theories on autism says that spectrum people have a high affective empathy but lower cognitive empathy

Myers Briggs type - INFP
My brother has classic autism; I am not native English speaker;
Autism spectrum is not disorder, is neurodiversity, talent and originality!

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2016, 6:05 pm

Having autism does NOT mean that you are unemotional. We can be more irritable and sensitive to criticism than most NTs.

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Mar 2016, 7:35 pm

Angnix wrote:
I have AS characteristics, but am I too emotional?

You're too emotional only if it has a negative impact on your life, if your strong emotions hurt you or others.
I don't think that things are that simple in general though. Beyond being more or less emotional, all profiles have a different range of emotions, some being stronger than average, some being weaker then average, and even sometimes the weird feelings that aren't always easy to identify because they aren't common in NTs.

Angnix wrote:
I am bipolar, would that make an autistic more emotional?

Anyone who is bipolar is more emotional, especially during the maniac / hypomaniac phases as depression on the contrary is supposed to anesthetize emotions. The maniac and to a certain extent, the hypomaniac brain too is flooded with a crazy quantity of some neurotransmitters (I don't remember which ones, but there must be at least dopamine in the mix).