Page 1 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2016, 1:03 am

Raleigh wrote:
I can't take care of my hair either.
Mine is also very thick.
I can't stand brushing or washing it - just touching my scalp makes me physically ill.
Water running over my scalp feels like bugs crawling.
So I leave it for weeks until it's horrible and oily.
I will often panic and meltdown at the thought of washing it.
Then I end up with a headache afterwards.

No one understands my problems with this.
They think, "Why don't you just wash your hair? It's easy. You're dirty and lazy."

My hair's short now but the sensory issues are no less intense.

Curious, but do you like going to the hair dressers? I quite like it if I find the right sort of person who doesn't talk to me while I sit there. Also if they have the right temperature water and the shampoo they use smells nice - then I really like it because I don't have to do it haha. Outsourcing hair styling- quite like it. I would go often if I could! lol But I don't have the money for that! :lol:
I never go and do it all my own XD

DestinedToBeAPotato
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: floating on the molecular clouds of interstellar space

06 Mar 2016, 12:31 pm

Yes, I always struggled with taking care of my hair, it was relaxed and very difficult to take care of - I decided to cut it all off and go back to having a small afro. So much easier to deal with now.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2016, 3:12 pm

Unfortunate_Aspie_ wrote:
Raleigh wrote:
I can't take care of my hair either.
Mine is also very thick.
I can't stand brushing or washing it - just touching my scalp makes me physically ill.
Water running over my scalp feels like bugs crawling.
So I leave it for weeks until it's horrible and oily.
I will often panic and meltdown at the thought of washing it.
Then I end up with a headache afterwards.

No one understands my problems with this.
They think, "Why don't you just wash your hair? It's easy. You're dirty and lazy."

My hair's short now but the sensory issues are no less intense.

Curious, but do you like going to the hair dressers? I quite like it if I find the right sort of person who doesn't talk to me while I sit there. Also if they have the right temperature water and the shampoo they use smells nice - then I really like it because I don't have to do it haha. Outsourcing hair styling- quite like it. I would go often if I could! lol But I don't have the money for that! :lol:
I never go and do it all my own XD

I cannot have my hair washed at the hairdressers.
It's sensory overload and I'm scared I'll melt down.
Or vomit.
I wash it before I go.
I can cope with the haircut if they're quick.
But I'll still have a headache afterwards.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2016, 4:01 pm

Does anyone else here have issues with having their hair and scalp touched?
I don't know how anyone can stand having their hair 'done'.
It makes me feel sick thinking about it.

Grahzmann
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Mar 2016, 4:14 pm

I shampoo my hair every day, as I don't have any sensory issues related to it. I've heard you're not really supposed to wash it every day, but I haven't noticed any ill effects.

I usually wait until it's intolerably uncomfortable to get it cut. I've had the same hairstyle for (almost) as long as I can remember.

I also enjoy the sensation of combing my hair when it's wet.

ChristianSmith
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Mar 2016, 4:27 pm

I know a girl that uses spray conditioner and a brush called a Tangle Teezer for her hair.

I always forget to maintain my hair (scalp) but when I do I have a completely bald head and bushy beard, I do like going to the barbers and getting the beard trimmed around the edges looking sharp. Sometimes after spending £20 on a shaved head and beard trim. I don't like how they've done it and go home and cut all my beard off and go clean shaven.

I prefer having a beard though. I do look intimidating like it, but if I do speak to people, they soon realise I'm a geek in wolf's clothing

AQ:39
RAADS-R 172

metaldanielle
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2016, 4:30 pm

I had a lot of difficulty when I was younger, but now I spend a lot of time caring for my hair. It's incredibly long. I don't do much styling though. I enjoy hair and scalp sensations, but I can't STAND having my hair detangled by anyone else. It's torture.

shadowtag
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Mar 2016, 4:52 pm

My hair is also thick and I have to shampoo it every day or it can be quite hard to manage,it used to be shoulder length and had to be shampooed and conditioned and constantly brushed to look good which was a pain,though I do like it a bit long so I think I will grow it a bit,in fact the last time I went to the barber I know he was like,"Is it time for your bi-annual hair cut?" not wholly in-accurate unfortunately :lol:.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2016, 4:55 pm

I hate taking showers and washing my hair, but still shower every day or every other day. I definitely hate detangling my hair. it comes to just below my shoulders right now, so tangles aren't too much of an issue, but when it was longer, it was always tangled, so I got it cut.

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2016, 6:00 pm

I have thick hair that curls a bit in the front, but I have never had trouble taking care of it.

Jozie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Mar 2016, 9:12 pm

I just gotta say, your hair looks pretty great.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2016, 9:14 pm

Half the time because my efforts were mostly undone. Thank the climate from where I live. :lol:
I'd just put a ponytail or a hairclamp for others' sake of "comfort". :x Though I mostly don't mind if the weather is too hot or too windy and not cold.

My hair is long, quite thin, and naturally wavy. I never had a haircut since when I was like 7. And I keep it that way since it still sort of makes me warm which sometimes I wish my hair could at least get any thicker at all. :|

I'm fine with people playing with my hair as long as there's no cutting or anything sticky. No major sensory issues here.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2016, 10:18 pm

Jozie wrote:
I just gotta say, your hair looks pretty great.

Mine?

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 12:11 am

Unfortunate_Aspie_ wrote:
apparently anything at an abnormal length or coloration is strange and to be judged with suspicion because that marks you as belonging to a sub culture or mean you hold a certain set of values... not simply that "I like this style".

Indeed. I shave my head these days, and it most likely gives many people a certain "impression" about me and what sort of person I must be...but I do it because it's cheapest and easiest to manage, that's all!

Nocturnus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Mar 2016, 5:02 am

I used to have long hair but cut it a few months ago, I'm growing it out to mid length since long hair is very hard to manage and takes forever to dry. Long hair is much harder to style, shorter styles can be styled in a few minutes when they become unruly.

That was my hair when it was really long,

ouroborosUK
Toucan
Toucan

07 Mar 2016, 5:07 am

I never had sensory problems which made cutting, combing or washing my hair uncomfortable.

When I was younger I didn't care at all what my hair looked like and in middle/high school people occasionally made fun of me because it was not combed. Now I try to remember to comb it but I don't always do it.

Besides that, I quite like my hair. I keep it mid-long.

A bit obsessed with vocabulary, semantics and using the right words. Sorry if it is a concern. It's the way I think, I am not hair-splitting or attacking you.