Page 2 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

ouroborosUK
Toucan
Toucan

07 Mar 2016, 5:07 am

I never had sensory problems which made cutting, combing or washing my hair uncomfortable.

When I was younger I didn't care at all what my hair looked like and in middle/high school people occasionally made fun of me because it was not combed. Now I try to remember to comb it but I don't always do it.

Besides that, I quite like my hair. I keep it mid-long.

A bit obsessed with vocabulary, semantics and using the right words. Sorry if it is a concern. It's the way I think, I am not hair-splitting or attacking you.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 9:16 am

Never cared about combing it, gels, etc. etc.

Have had the same hairstyle nearly my entire life.

It's very plain but requires little maintenance.

Just let it grow until it look like beatles hairstyle, then shave it until it's near-bald, and repeat.

All I do is wash it.

Riik
Toucan
Toucan

07 Mar 2016, 9:23 am

My issues don't come from the scalp of the feeling of having my hair tugged or cut... my issues come from the aftermath of a haircut - the tiny bits of hair left behind that get stuck in my neck and collar area.

Even if I wash after having a haircut, my neck remains uncomfortably itchy for a few days, and whatever t-shirt I dare to wear first after said haircut will remain uncomfortable around my neck for months because of the transference of those bits of hair.

I used to cry so much whenever my parents cut my hair too because I hated sitting still and having to keep my head at certain angles and stuff... it was just an oddly traumatic experience.

So I haven't had my hair cut for years and don't plan to ever cut it. Could say I even have a phobia.

A life without tea is a life not worth living.
Latest Aspie Quiz: AS - 151, NT - 38 / RAADS-R: 195 / AQ: 38

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 2:24 pm

My hair is short but extremely thick, so washing it creates many sensory issues and frustrations. More often than not my hair isn't properly washed at all, and then it gets all oily and stiff and yuck, but I'm never sure how to fix the problem. Any suggestions, guys?

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Nocturnus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Mar 2016, 2:29 pm

Kuraudo777 wrote:
My hair is short but extremely thick, so washing it creates many sensory issues and frustrations. More often than not my hair isn't properly washed at all, and then it gets all oily and stiff and yuck, but I'm never sure how to fix the problem. Any suggestions, guys?

Olive oil helps hair that dries out quickly, you might benefit from a horsetail rinse as well. You might find the oil or a short rinse to be better over a longer wash.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 2:33 pm

^ :o Olive oil? Wow! I never knew that was a thing! Thank you! :) What's a horsetail rinse?

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Nocturnus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Mar 2016, 2:52 pm

Kuraudo777 wrote:
^ :o Olive oil? Wow! I never knew that was a thing! Thank you! :) What's a horsetail rinse?

http://blackhair101.com/hair-recipes/ho ... ition-hair

Horsetail is a natural hair clarifier it has powerful antiseptic properties, it eliminates excessive oiliness and is quite effective at removing styling product build up. Excessive use of horsetail by persons with dry hair can result in further dryness. However, when combined with other tea rinses like hibiscus, the result is softened hair with great slip.

You can even drink it as a tea and receive the benefits, it is very effective at strengthening hair. I like natural home remedies and they tend to be much cheaper than the big name products.

JennaTheAspie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Mar 2016, 5:32 pm

I have fine waist length hair. The ways that I take care of it are :
I wash it every day or every 2 days.
I never put heat or dyes on it. I used to dye it once in a while but now if I do I prefer the salon at WalMart. Boxed dyes are way more harsh and break down the hair easily.
I finger comb it while I'm in the shower. I've read that over brushing it can cause it to break easier.
I use organic products as much as I can. They have no sulfates or parabens in them.
I always use a t-shirt to dry my hair after showering to help prevent frizz.
I always use a good moisturizer that doesn't make it feel greasy or weighted down. The Renpure products are good and those are also my shampoo and conditioner choices.
I take vitamins ; a daily multi and fish oil. They both add to you hairs health and beauty.

JennaTheAspie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Mar 2016, 5:41 pm

I also look at YouTube videos for natural DIY hair masks.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 5:52 pm

My hair is very thick so I have to keep it short so it doesn't grow all over the place, which it's doing now because I'm really overdue for a haircut. But I hate going out to get my hair done, just leaving and walking down to the salon feels like torture. And I never know how to answer when they ask me how I want it cut, and I never like how it looks after it's just been cut and I feel embarrassed and think everyone is looking at it and thinking, "it's not normal for a woman to have her hair short plus she doesn't wear makeup or dresses and we never see her with a guy oh she must be a total lesbian".

I can look after my hair as long as it requires no more than shampooing and brushing. I don't put sprays or mousse in it because it feels and smells gross and all I can think about is getting in the shower to wash it out. I even tell the hairdresser not to put such gunk in my hair.

Dye? No, I'm too young to dye! Wait until my entire head is grey, and then maybe I'll be ready to dye. :lol:

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 6:54 pm

Nocturnus wrote:
Kuraudo777 wrote:

Olive oil helps hair that dries out quickly, you might benefit from a horsetail rinse as well. You might find the oil or a short rinse to be better over a longer wash.

Olive oil is too thick and smelly, try jojoba oil instead. It's a wax ester, which is similar to the natural oils produced by the skin.

Nocturnus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Mar 2016, 11:13 pm

Yigeren wrote:
Nocturnus wrote:
Kuraudo777 wrote:

Olive oil is too thick and smelly, try jojoba oil instead. It's a wax ester, which is similar to the natural oils produced by the skin.

Jojoba oil is amazing, I only use it as a moisturiser, I never knew that you could use it for your hair. I tried Coconut oil once and it took forever to washout, most oils are thick.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 11:29 pm

It's the only styling product that I will use in my hair. I have naturally curly hair that is dry and gets damaged easily. Other products like mousse, gels, etc, had alcohol in them that dried out my hair, caused breakage, thus keeping it from growing past my shoulders.

Once I started using only jojoba oil, my hair grew long and healthy, and I have few split ends. I will use olive oil if I run out of jojoba oil, but it does smell and is too heavy.

I've been using jojoba oil on my hair for over 3 years, and my hair grew to be a couple of inches above my waist. But I got tired of it being so long, and so now it's a little shorter.

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 12:03 am

yellowtamarin wrote:
Unfortunate_Aspie_ wrote:
apparently anything at an abnormal length or coloration is strange and to be judged with suspicion because that marks you as belonging to a sub culture or mean you hold a certain set of values... not simply that "I like this style".

Indeed. I shave my head these days, and it most likely gives many people a certain "impression" about me and what sort of person I must be...but I do it because it's cheapest and easiest to manage, that's all!

Man- I so want to do that, but I'm just not in the mood or ready to deal with alllllll of the social baggage that will come my way XD so I do nothing...

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 12:06 am

Nocturnus wrote:
I used to have long hair but cut it a few months ago, I'm growing it out to mid length since long hair is very hard to manage and takes forever to dry. Long hair is much harder to style, shorter styles can be styled in a few minutes when they become unruly.

That was my hair when it was really long,

Somehow I feel like you look VERY different in those photos :mrgreen: It's a cool look though! Seems very low maintenance- how nice. I WISH my hair was low maintenance. :x i hate my hair...

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 1:28 am

The shorter my hair is, the better...