Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

VDUB04
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Mar 2016, 4:31 pm

Has anyone ever experienced new stims developing or current stims evolving? I think this has happened for me but my parents ask me what I'm doing when they notice it. It's like they know I rub/twirl my fingers for example, even if they don't fully understand it but due to occasional wrist pain, this has sometimes become full hand rubbing because it's the same thing for me but obviously the movement doesn't come from my wrists. I normally just try to stop and hide it to avoid trying to explain it but if what I've said makes sense, I would like to try and have a bit more confidence and explain myself so I can relax about it.

Riik
Toucan
Toucan

07 Mar 2016, 4:40 pm

Beatboxing is a perfect example for me. I only discovered how to do it by accident and only a few months ago, and now I can't stop.

I've had other stims come and go... mostly vocal ones changing from the frankly bizarre noises I made at school to meowing then to turkey sounds then back to meowing..

Sometimes I have stims happen that are just spur of the moment, like certain lights that I can't help staring at and "playing with" by looking at them different ways or blinking etc... hand/arm/body movements that happen without any proper form or meaning because of high levels of emotion (usual excitement, anxiety and rushes of energy)...

Whilst one might "default" to certain stims that have the best effect, stims are things that help with stimulation... if you see someone stimming and enjoying it, you might start copying them to see why they like it so much and maybe pick up those stims. Or other things might make you want to try new ones that then stick. Stims might at times be hard to keep track of, but they're not totally involuntary, so evolution and change depending circumstance, need and satisfaction are pretty easy to imagine happening.

A life without tea is a life not worth living.
Latest Aspie Quiz: AS - 151, NT - 38 / RAADS-R: 195 / AQ: 38

VDUB04
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Mar 2016, 5:56 pm

Thanks. That all makes sense. I am learning to manage myself better with other people and not let myself get too stressed about what they think of me or what they might say. Not that I think that shouldn't concern me at all, it's natural of course and perhaps necessary but everything has a limit.

Whispers
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Mar 2016, 8:33 pm

Stims develop, they change, that's what I've seen. If you can manage to slightly change your stims so that they aren't bad for you, that's great. For instance: you start doing a similar movement which doesn't screw your wrist. Or (in second level of priority), you do one which is not so noteworthy for others. First is that you feel good and that you don't hurt yourself.

From childhood’s hour I have not been as others were—I have not seen as others saw—I could not bring my passions from a common spring— From the same source I have not taken my sorrow—I could not awaken my heart to joy at the same tone—
And all I lov’d—I lov’d alone.
E. A. Poe

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 9:51 pm

Whispers wrote:
Stims develop, they change, that's what I've seen. If you can manage to slightly change your stims so that they aren't bad for you, that's great. For instance: you start doing a similar movement which doesn't screw your wrist. Or (in second level of priority), you do one which is not so noteworthy for others. First is that you feel good and that you don't hurt yourself.

yeah, I agree with this.

I have changed my stims a lot through out the years. However, I also have tourettes so... my stims and ticks kind of morph together so not only does it relax me but I get to scratch that crazy "itch" of a tick as well. The ticks have not changed, but the stims kind of become involved or not turn into something else. When I discovered my autistic sense again (ie found out I wasn't crazy or bad or lazy just autistic) I reclaimed a lot of my old stims, but ... I realize why I buried them- they are very obvious haha, so I am in the process of changing some of them- I think I can change them if I want to, but it takes time/is a bit of a process... :wink:

Cyllya1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Mar 2016, 9:59 pm

I've started humming a lot, even though I never used to.

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 10:38 pm

I don't know if this is a stim or not, but I have begun to compulsively take pics of my figures. I used to do this 5-10 times a day (I run a photoblog) now I do it as much as 40 times. My poor SD card is bloated by the time I am done.

Jozie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Mar 2016, 10:57 pm

I've always tapped my fingers or clicked pens but I recently rediscovered those old fashioned pressed tin clicky toys so am using those a lot now. They are so much more satisfying than pens.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 12:01 am

I picked up habitual knuckle cracking when I was 13. Nobody is particularly happy about that.

Jozie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Mar 2016, 1:49 am

My son cracks his knuckles and his neck its really loud and it gives me the shivers. But he likes it so I don't hassle him about it. I do ban his whistling though especially in the car.