Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

random1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Mar 2016, 9:08 pm

just now i was waiting to ask something and they just kept talking so i gave up.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 9:30 pm

People with the ability to speak usually talk a lot.

I have met Non-autistics who talk a lot and autistics who talk a lot.

In my opinion, toddlers talk a lot, they never shut up.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Mar 2016, 10:00 pm

I think they're seeking social contact that way. I've noticed that my father feels isolated if he can't talk all the time ; it's as if physical presence and body language aren't enough, presence needs to be nonstop verbal to count for some people.

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 11:12 pm

Entertainment and emotional satisfaction I guess.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 11:30 pm

I come from a long line of AS/ASD people who verbally stim,& not just random or patternistic sounds. Talking itself is a stim. My little sister once talked for three hours straight, never stopping, not even caring what the subject was. At one point she was making up fake commercials just to hear her own voice. Our home growing up was a cacophony of overlapping discussions, many with only one person. It was awful for someone who is exceedingly sound sensitive and APD.

SparkyCosmos
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Mar 2016, 12:23 am

They fear the implications of thinking out loud, and thus the only time they are able to hear their voice is when they are in a conversation.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 11:04 am

Funnily enough, I hardly talk at all unless it's about something I like.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 12:40 pm

OP, it sounds like you are talking about two things.
First, why do NTs talk a lot?
Second, why did they not stop talking and let you say something when it was apparent you wanted to talk?

First, talking a lot is not necessarily an NT trait. As others have said here, some talk a lot and some do not. The same is true for Aspies.

Second, I have trouble too with people not letting me into conversations or ignoring me. As I have gotten older, I have come to realize the problem is mainly with me. I am either not giving the signal that I *need* to interject, or I don't have the guts to interrupt. In my experience, it is a combination of the lack of the right body language signals and social anxiety that case the trouble.

I don't know if the same is true for you, but that's how it usually is for me. *Sometimes* I will come across someone who is just plain rude.

Riik
Toucan
Toucan

09 Mar 2016, 1:07 pm

I think those of us who have developed speech at a normal rate in most cases spoke about as often as anyone without autism during early childhood (under certain circumstances). I think the vast majority who end up being quiet in later life reach that point through environmental means... maybe they end up preferring solitude or have had enough bad social encounters to be more cautious about speaking. And this kind of thing can happen when autism is not present, too, but might occur less frequently without a neurological cause.

A life without tea is a life not worth living.
Latest Aspie Quiz: AS - 151, NT - 38 / RAADS-R: 195 / AQ: 38

Muziek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Mar 2016, 1:14 pm

Well, yes, I do think liking to talk a lot is a NT thing. Forgive them, they cannot help it. :P Even while eating breakfast, or dinner they need to talk a lot about all kinds of stuff. :|

However, I must admit that when I am in a new social situation, I start to talk a lot too. But this is out of stress and also because I kind of have the feeling that it is expected of me, social politeness. "I start to talk on and on:
blah, blah, blah, yada, yada, yada, bleh, bleh, bleh...", to quote Elaine Bennes :mrgreen:

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 10:54 pm

I talk a lot, sometimes with a lot of people around, sometimes if I am the only one around, talk talk talk! That's all I ever seem to do! Blah blah blah! :D

WendyDomino
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Mar 2016, 4:37 pm

One of the problems I run into is that someone will be having a conversation about something I want to chime in on. I will wait patiently for them to stop talking and then a second person will respond to them before I do, and then change the subject to something else before I even got a chance to respond to the first subject from the first person. Then when there's finally a pause in the conversation I will try to say what I originally wanted to say and the people will look at me like I'm crazy because what I say has nothing to do with what they're currently talking about because they already moved on.