Deinonychus

12 Mar 2016, 12:59 pm

how did they react?

were u nervous?

Riik
Toucan
Toucan

12 Mar 2016, 1:10 pm

My whole family knows. I've told a few friends. I've also written it on a couple of my online profiles in an attempt to clear up some of the usual issues I come across with online to do with people mistaking my intentions and behaviour.

My family were supportive (despite the fact most of them were the opposite leading up to my diagnosis), my friends were unaffected and really telling people has never changed anything for me, except maybe allowed me to express some of my difficulties in ways they could understand. Whilst I understand having the information on publicly viewable profiles could potentially lead to bullying, I've yet to receive any negativity for it.

I was never nervous about telling anyone because I never saw it something to be ashamed of.

A life without tea is a life not worth living.
Latest Aspie Quiz: AS - 151, NT - 38 / RAADS-R: 195 / AQ: 38

Hububalli
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Mar 2016, 1:40 pm

I tell everyone within reason, for two reasons.

The first is I wasn't diagnosed until I was 27, my life sucked massively up to that point. Getting diagnosed enabled me to step back and make sense of what had been going on over the years. By making people aware of it I hope that it might help others be more aware of themselves and people they know who might be in a similar situation.

Secondly but it is still connected to the first. A lot of people on the spectrum I have met, especially adults, see it as a really negative label, its like the plague to some people. Even one of doctors said "I you sure you want this label?" I want people to see themselves in a more positive light.

I am in no way any kind of autism activist, its just my small way of helping people out without being to obvious about it.

Furme
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Mar 2016, 2:33 pm

I am recently diagnosed with Asperger's and am still new to the missing puzzle piece's realm. Finding out was like figuring out why I found myself to be so "odd" my whole life.
I'm 30 now, so I am realizing that it may not be necessary to tell others outside of my immediate social circle (family, very close friends).
However, I think that it helps to tell these people because it puts meaning to an unknown.
I feel that it might help to explain answers to questions they have had.
If it makes me feel better, I think that's all that matters.
I will be careful not to use it as a crutch, but rather, something that I can evaluate myself with and explain to others the reasons I may react or behave the way I do.

All I can do sometimes is say, " I know it's a part of it".

Well, cheers to everyone in here and cheers to the days ahead. Stay positive and be yourself. :)

Toffle
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Mar 2016, 3:26 pm

I told my best friend just after I was diagnosed. Her first reaction was, "You? That can't be right." I was really confused and didn't really know what to make of the diagnosis myself back then, and I could see where she was coming from, but that response did kind of hurt.
A few days later she apologized for her reaction and asked me if I wanted to tell her what autism meant for me. I greatly respect her for that.

I also told my whole class once, which terrified me. No one really talked to me about it, so I don't really know what they thought about it, except that one girl said that she appreciated that I'd told her.

And I wrote it in the application to the school I go to now, so most of the teachers know it. And they've all been amazing. I've had great conversations with them about it, they're willing to accommodate, and they trust my word on what I'm experiencing more than stereotypes and things they've read.

PorridgeGuy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Mar 2016, 5:19 pm

No. Because (1) I'm not sure I have it and I'm not diagnosed and (2) even if I did, I'd rather keep it to myself. I do believe autistics being open about their diagnosis is good for public awareness, I just would not be comfortable exposing myself like that. Finally, (3) I'm not sure how people would take it and if they would believe me.

In order to elaborate on the 1st point (I know there is a substantial amount of controversy about undiagnosed individuals in here, not that it's all bad): I can not tell whether I have it or not, since I am not diagnosed. All I can tell is that I recognize many of the traits in myself, and that I can certainly see them as explanations for struggles I had growing up (and occasionally later in life). I am not currently in need for public help, and as such a diagnosis will do me no good. What I find do help me, is reading about it. It helps me understand some aspects of myself better, and thus I can act more wisely and improve, based upon this knowledge. Despite this I have still occasionally chosen to read (and contribute, I hope) to this forum but I have also chosen to be open about my lack of diagnosis in my signature.

greenylynx
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Mar 2016, 7:03 pm

Only my family and a select few of my friends now I have Asperger's.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2016, 7:11 pm

my husband, my autistic nephew, two of my sisters, and a couple of friends. mostly, i keep it to myself.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2016, 7:41 pm

Sort of and I don't tell anyone because I feel it's not relevant and I am afraid of the stigma and I think I can hide it and my symptoms can be masked for other things like shyness, anxiety, quirky, stupidity.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Pergerlady
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Mar 2016, 8:13 pm

There were a few times when I did; for instance, when I started volunteering at the animal shelter, because I thought that info would be relevant to them, or when I had to tell my chemistry professor because I was having anxiety in class. Surprisingly, I haven't had people react negatively to my autism, at least not since I was in middle school. However, I get nervous when disclosing my diagnosis, and I prefer people to not know unless someone is going to have a close association with me.

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2016, 9:06 pm

Hububalli wrote:
I tell everyone within reason, for two reasons.

The first is I wasn't diagnosed until I was 27, my life sucked massively up to that point. Getting diagnosed enabled me to step back and make sense of what had been going on over the years. By making people aware of it I hope that it might help others be more aware of themselves and people they know who might be in a similar situation.

Secondly but it is still connected to the first. A lot of people on the spectrum I have met, especially adults, see it as a really negative label, its like the plague to some people. Even one of doctors said "I you sure you want this label?" I want people to see themselves in a more positive light.

I am in no way any kind of autism activist, its just my small way of helping people out without being to obvious about it.

I was just a few years older when diagnosed, but everything else here is the same for me. Plus a couple more reasons:

- With people I'll be interacting with regularly, I just like to put it out there so it becomes easier to explain events down the track, like why I like to know extra details about things, or why I might have trouble with a particular task, etc. etc.

- It enables me to make stupid jokes about autism and not have people think I'm being offensive towards people different to me (cos I like to make stupid jokes).

People tend to react with either mild interest or indifference.

EphraimB
Raven
Raven

12 Mar 2016, 9:14 pm

I more than tell people about my Autism. I use my Autism as an excuse over and over again.

My personality type: INTJ-T

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2016, 9:27 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Sort of and I don't tell anyone because I feel it's not relevant and I am afraid of the stigma and I think I can hide it and my symptoms can be masked for other things like shyness, anxiety, quirky, stupidity.

Its ok to be stupid but not autistic?

Tell me more, I would rather someone think I am autistic than think I am of limited intelligence.

I used to tell people but since the vast majority of people both on and off the spectrum are stupid, I find its best to keep it to myself, I only plan to tell my potential partners at this point. 2% rule, 98% of the people out there are idiots and 2% are actually intelligent. I didn't believe that before but its beginning to make sense, maybe Wrong Planet is the 2% I don't know.

Maybe we are all in the 98% which is scary.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2016, 10:22 pm

dcj123 wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Its ok to be stupid but not autistic?

Tell me more, I would rather someone think I am autistic than think I am of limited intelligence.

I used to tell people but since the vast majority of people both on and off the spectrum are stupid, I find its best to keep it to myself, I only plan to tell my potential partners at this point. 2% rule, 98% of the people out there are idiots and 2% are actually intelligent. I didn't believe that before but its beginning to make sense, maybe Wrong Planet is the 2% I don't know.

Maybe we are all in the 98% which is scary.

People might think I am stupid for being socially cluessles or socially ignorant and when I process things differently. Even as a kid, kids thought I was stupid or ret*d. At my old job, my office clerk used to say to me to use my common sense and I am very smart and he would get mad at me for asking questions to try and clarify to make sure I understood and he would go "What did I tell you?" I never told him I had AS. But hey I don't really care anymore if someone thinks I am dumb or if I appeared rude to someone. They can think whatever they want of me. Since autism is a invisible condition (unless you are at the severe end of the spectrum) you can pass of as normal and people wouldn't even notice your traits. But yet if I tell anyone I have it, then I am afraid they will pathologize my behavior and things I do. I went through that with my school counselor and with my ex boyfriends. Then anything I do is AS and they seem to forgot normal people do these things too except it's about degree. Plus I also have OCD and anxiety so not everything about me is autism. My husband does it too but not as extreme as my ex's did. But yet if I didn't tell him, he might have thought I was a mean person and rude and that I don't care about him or that I don't like him. And another thing, they can use it against you like not value your perspectives or your opinions.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

macandpea

12 Mar 2016, 11:44 pm

I disclose every now and then if the topic comes up. Generally the reaction I get is something like 'I knew something was off about you' gee thanks.

My extended family don't know because mum doesn't want me to disclose. She thinks they wouldn't understand. She also thinks I shouldn't tell anyone but that's a whole other discussion.

Rockymntchris
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Mar 2016, 12:07 am

I'm fairly open about my SPD/HFA, that way those I regularly have to deal with shouldn't have too high of expectations for me. I think having a special needs NT sister who's been up front about her ADHD has made it easier for me to come forth with my own ASD issues.