Why does everyone hate sheldon so much?

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Benthedemon007
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Mar 2016, 5:43 pm

Come on, it's funny to see all the dumb mistakes you would sometimes make. They make fun of everyone on the big bang theory, and hate to say it, but Sheldon is pretty funny. While he annoys people, he has a girlfriend, many friends, and the show presents him positively as smart. I mean come on, get a thicker skin. We want aspies to be less ignored and more recognized in the media. Think of it like modern family and being gay. Also, just because your symptoms don't match Sheldon's doesn't mean that the show's bad.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 6:10 pm

Sheldon is sort of a nasty guy. He thinks he's hot stuff. His social faux pas frequently degrade people. He doesn't reflect upon anything.

Most of the other "nerd" characters seem Aspie to a lesser or greater degree. They are not as nasty as Sheldon is. They make attempts to improve their lot.

schots
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Mar 2016, 7:37 pm

+1 for liking the big bang theory, I think it's funny as well.

Here's a quote from an article about Sheldon on autism speaks:

Quote:
No matter why you watch the show, after talking to many individuals in our community, the biggest reason why people seem to be drawn to him is that he’s absolutely genuine. He is who he is and doesn’t pretend to be someone he isn’t. He’s just his own unique self.

Article

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 7:49 pm

Sheldon is arrogant, prideful, insulting, presumptuous, petulant, demanding, and willfully indifferent to the feelings of others.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 7:51 pm

Very few people here are as arrogant as Sheldon.

Schlumpfikus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Mar 2016, 7:54 pm

I like Sheldon, so I can only guess that it might be because those who have autism are concerned that people watching the show won't be able to distinguish between the autistic traits of Sheldon and his individual character traits and therefore would be going to think for example that everyone who has Asperger's acts as arrogantly as he does.
On the other hand I think one has to notice that if he were real it would be kind of a contradiction that he's supposed to be very naive and not be able to understand sarcasm and take everything literally really while at the same time his own nasty remarks are often so funny exactly because they themselves are kind of ironic and sarcastic, aren't they?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 7:57 pm

I find him to be a caricature of the worst aspects of Asperger's.

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Mar 2016, 8:00 pm

I like Sheldon, partly because I can relate to his situation a bit, and partly because as the article says, he's the most honest character. Even when he's arrogant, insensitive and all, he rarely intends to be that way, he doesn't truly realize the consequences of his actions. He's often inappropriate because he's socially awkward to such an extreme degree. But he's a caricature because TBBT is comedy, so why should he be arrogant with moderation, socially awkward with moderation ? He doesn't understand the rest of the world and the rest of the world doesn't understand him either. And when he finally understands something, he can be much nicer. Deep down, he's more complex than he seems to be.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 8:03 pm

Why do people find him so honest? He just sees the negative side of things.

I've met some people of integrity and honesty--and none of them are like Sheldon.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 8:08 pm

Because they are often laughing at him not with him.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 8:09 pm

Yeah....you could be right. He could be using his arrogance as a defense mechanism.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 8:13 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Yeah....you could be right. He could be using his arrogance as a defense mechanism.

I was thinking of the television viewers laughing at him not the other charactors.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 8:18 pm

Come to think of it: they don't really laugh at Sheldon, with the exception of the NT girls (in a sort of roundabout way).

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 3:40 am

It´s comedy. I don´t think, he´s really nasty.....more like the annoying kid in the class.

ErwinNL
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Mar 2016, 5:47 am

I love the show, I do not hate the character and I have been compared to him multiple times which is kinda a compliment. His character is not only based on ASD triads but also on other disorders (he is narcissistic, socially awkward, childish, hurtful, naive, irascible, selfish, rude, and irrepressible, has OCD (lol, I googled this)) I do recognize myself in some of this but sure not all, don't take it personal he is just an over the top fictional guy, enjoy the show (and Sheldon) for what it is.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 6:08 am

The thing is Sheldon Cooper is not a character who has autism. Nor is Sherlock Holmes. Nor is whatever anime toon character someone asked about recently.

Now Max on Parenthood is a character who has autism. That is the difference.