Difficulty telling left from right when copying others

Page 2 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

kyethra
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 15 Dec 2006
Gender: Female
Posts: 109

23 Apr 2007, 1:01 am

Of course. But I have NLD. It has a lot of overlap with AS. Its a learning disability where verbal IQ is a lot higher than performance IQ. It means I have trouble with spatial relationships and stuff.



RadiationHazard
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Apr 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 521
Location: Florida

23 Apr 2007, 1:20 am

I can do left and right. I have trouble with East and West.


_________________
Dr. House: I assume 'minimal at best' is your stiff upper lip British way of saying "no chance in hell."

Dr. Chase: I'm Australian.

Dr. House: You put the Queen on your money, you're British.


blackcat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Nov 2006
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,142
Location: 10 miles south of sanity.

23 Apr 2007, 1:24 am

Spot17 wrote:
I constantly get left and right mixed up. Although with me, if you told me to raise my left hand, chances are that I'll raise my right hand instead. It really sucks when I'm riding in the car with someone and trying to give directions. I'll say "turn right" and point to the left.

Don't know if this is related, but I also have problems with remembering which side of the faucet is hot and which is cold. Also with which side to push on doors at restaurants and such.



haha,i dont know my left from my right most days.NOR anyone elses!I also have the hot/cold issue.My friend taught me that the left hand makes an L though so thats helping.


_________________
I think I know. I don't think I know. I don't think I think I know. I don't think I think.


risingphoenix
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 8 Oct 2006
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 126
Location: Germany

23 Apr 2007, 8:07 am

matt271 wrote:
u may be dyslexic.


No, that can't be it, reading and spelling and anything verbal is even one of my stronger points.


_________________
People with courage and character always seem sinister to the rest.

Hermann Hesse


risingphoenix
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 8 Oct 2006
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 126
Location: Germany

23 Apr 2007, 8:12 am

Sopho_Soph wrote:
I don't think I really have this problem, but I do have to think about it when I'm working out East and West. Because East usually comes before West I automatically assume it's on the left. I haven't had a gym class for ages though so I can't really remember about confusing left and right when copying people.


I've learnt to tell East and West apart by a mnemonic. And it doesn't necessarily have to be in gym class.


_________________
People with courage and character always seem sinister to the rest.

Hermann Hesse


risingphoenix
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 8 Oct 2006
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 126
Location: Germany

23 Apr 2007, 8:39 am

kyethra wrote:
Of course. But I have NLD. It has a lot of overlap with AS. Its a learning disability where verbal IQ is a lot higher than performance IQ. It means I have trouble with spatial relationships and stuff.


I've been thinking about that I might have that, too (NLD), in any case I'm 100% sure that my verbal IQ is very much higher than my performance IQ.
But then again I don't seem to have any of those extreme auditory skills which are supposed to come with it, like the ability to quote whole conversations exactly verbatim or whatever. Do all people with NLD have such skills, do you know?


_________________
People with courage and character always seem sinister to the rest.

Hermann Hesse


TheTjalian
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

User avatar

Joined: 22 Apr 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 19

23 Apr 2007, 12:58 pm

I can't say I've had difficulty lately, although I did have it in the past. Left and Right is pretty much a switch like on and off. When the teacher says right and holds up his right leg (which would be to your left), you think right leg.

Err, I hope that makes sense, lol.



Mushroom
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

User avatar

Joined: 24 Mar 2007
Gender: Male
Posts: 396

23 Apr 2007, 1:19 pm

No, I was one of the FEW people in whichever sport class I've been to who got the directions right because I have excellent spatial abilities... or else, I have sort of memorised the fact that if somebody in front of you raises their leg on one side, your corresponding side is the opposite.

But I have troubles with sides if they just say "raise your right leg" without doing it. I have the same trouble with East and West... I find POINTING in directions to be very easier than saying them out loud.



Amarantha
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 3 Jan 2007
Gender: Female
Posts: 115
Location: Melbourne, Australia

26 Apr 2007, 8:38 pm

As a child I would sort left from right by pretending to write, but these days I seem to know it OK. In a gym class I'll usually ignore what the instructor says and just mirror what she does - she moves the arm on "that side" of the room and I move the on the same side (of the room, not my body). If I'm listening but not looking (eg floor work), I sometimes get the wrong side.

East and West I sort out by picturing a map. I know that the direction of my parents' home is East, and the direction of Western Australia (A Clue!) is West :wink:



LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Apr 2007
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,617
Location: Dixie

26 Apr 2007, 8:48 pm

Sopho_Soph wrote:
I don't think I really have this problem, but I do have to think about it when I'm working out East and West. Because East usually comes before West I automatically assume it's on the left.


That's the same problem I have.



LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Apr 2007
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,617
Location: Dixie

26 Apr 2007, 8:53 pm

risingphoenix wrote:
kyethra wrote:
Of course. But I have NLD. It has a lot of overlap with AS. Its a learning disability where verbal IQ is a lot higher than performance IQ. It means I have trouble with spatial relationships and stuff.


I've been thinking about that I might have that, too (NLD), in any case I'm 100% sure that my verbal IQ is very much higher than my performance IQ.
But then again I don't seem to have any of those extreme auditory skills which are supposed to come with it, like the ability to quote whole conversations exactly verbatim or whatever. Do all people with NLD have such skills, do you know?


You definitely don't have to have mad auditory skills. Despite that in general my visual processing skills are poor (I have NLD), I'm way more likely to remember something I read than something I hear. BTW, it's generally either AS OR NLD, not both, since otherwise 80% of Aspies could be diagnosed with NLD. The final diagnosis generally depends on the relative severity of social vs. visuo-spatial skills. If you're interested in reading more on this, there was a great debate a week or so ago about it. Also, this site has some info:

http://www.nldline.com/as_vs_nld.htm

Edit: Actually, I just looked at your name- you posted in the debate thread, didn't you? Or am I remembering incorrectly?



risingphoenix
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 8 Oct 2006
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 126
Location: Germany

27 Apr 2007, 5:49 am

LostInSpace wrote:
risingphoenix wrote:
kyethra wrote:
Of course. But I have NLD. It has a lot of overlap with AS. Its a learning disability where verbal IQ is a lot higher than performance IQ. It means I have trouble with spatial relationships and stuff.


I've been thinking about that I might have that, too (NLD), in any case I'm 100% sure that my verbal IQ is very much higher than my performance IQ.
But then again I don't seem to have any of those extreme auditory skills which are supposed to come with it, like the ability to quote whole conversations exactly verbatim or whatever. Do all people with NLD have such skills, do you know?


You definitely don't have to have mad auditory skills. Despite that in general my visual processing skills are poor (I have NLD), I'm way more likely to remember something I read than something I hear. BTW, it's generally either AS OR NLD, not both, since otherwise 80% of Aspies could be diagnosed with NLD. The final diagnosis generally depends on the relative severity of social vs. visuo-spatial skills. If you're interested in reading more on this, there was a great debate a week or so ago about it. Also, this site has some info:

http://www.nldline.com/as_vs_nld.htm

Edit: Actually, I just looked at your name- you posted in the debate thread, didn't you? Or am I remembering incorrectly?


Hi LostInSpace, yes you remember correctly, actually I posted the NLD thread also from a week ago or so to figure out the differences between AS and NLD (as well as if the latter could fit me). It's been really helpful and informative by the way, I also checked out the page already which you mention above (nldline.com).

I wonder, do you ever talk to yourself while learning? For me it's like I remember texts, infos and vocabularies best when I read them out loud to myself. But when I only listen to the professor for example without taking any notes I remember far less than if I take notes and look at them later or read something about it in a book.

Also I'd like to read some books about NLD, do you know any good ones by any chance?


_________________
People with courage and character always seem sinister to the rest.

Hermann Hesse


Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2012
Age: 28
Gender: Male
Posts: 852

07 Mar 2012, 5:24 am

risingphoenix wrote:
But then again I don't seem to have any of those extreme auditory skills which are supposed to come with it, like the ability to quote whole conversations exactly verbatim or whatever. Do all people with NLD have such skills, do you know?

I can quote whole conversations exactly verbatim however I have auditory problems. I have been thinking of it in me as a compensation for auditory problems - yet you say it is usually due to auditory skills being good?

Regarding left and right - I get them confused all the time. One of my arms is in a sling and people keep asking me variations of 'are you left/right handed' and I keep getting confused and giving the wrong answer. It doesnt help that due to auditory issues half the time Im trying to answer before fully processing what they say, but regardless yes, I get left and right mixed up all the time.



Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Dec 2011
Age: 40
Gender: Female
Posts: 581

07 Mar 2012, 6:00 am

I too always seem to mess left and right up



Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 30 Jul 2011
Age: 33
Gender: Female
Posts: 493

07 Mar 2012, 11:01 am

Yes. And it's bad for dance, aerobic, or Yoga/Pilates classes.
I've also read people with dyscalculia have that problem. I'm bad at maths so....
Then again others probably aren't dyslexic or have dyscalculia.



VeggieGirl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jun 2011
Gender: Female
Posts: 133

07 Mar 2012, 2:29 pm

I have a lot of trouble mirroring the instructors in yoga, or pretty much mirroring anything complicated. I also have a lot of difficulty drawing mirror images. I asked my neuroscience friend (she has a degree in it) if it has to do with Asperger's, and she said she didn't know, but it wouldn't surprise her, because of something about mirror neurons in your brain that also correspond with registering others' emotions. I am really unclear on that, as I am terrible at biology, but that's the best I can remember.