Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 2:35 pm

Similar to I'm proud of you, I don't always know how to respond to your my hero.

It has been said often by someone I tried to be growing up.
I made/make a lousy copy.

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 2:48 pm

Don't think I've ever had it said to me (other than what I assume was jokingly).

My initial reaction is that I'd probably find it a bit disturbing. Throughout my life, there have been many people that I admire greatly, but I have never believed in elevating them to hero status - I'd worry that I was putting them on a pedestal, having unrealistic expectations of them, and expecting them to be more than human. I'd be uncomfortable thinking that anyone were doing that to me, however well intentioned.

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2016, 10:01 pm

Yeah, I don't think this has ever been said to me in a serious manner.
If it were ever said, like with many things I haven't planned for, I wouldn't know quite how to respond.

Personally I think the concept of a person being someone's hero, is not something that should be perpetuated. I have people that I admire for certain aspects of themselves, but I've never seen anyone as being my hero. I wouldn't want that title placed upon me. That being said, I think the expression "you're my hero" in instances where that person has just saved your life (or something along those lines) is okay, because it only references that one action. It's not tied to the person as a whole, thus doesn't place an unending burden on them.

^ Wow, I really went off topic.... :lol:. Okay, maybe just pay attention to the first part for an answer to your question.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2016, 12:49 am

Like fame, heroes are only seen that way from a distance or through filtered glasses.

At first I thought it was a joke.
At second glance through the speakers eyes I had been able to go through challenges and maintain in their eyes composure.
Again role models at a distance are like famous people.
Signature of the day Celebrating another day of Recovery.