Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

BrendonIrwan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Apr 2016, 10:08 pm

I guess it's not only me who doesn't have great abilities to grasp lyrics out of music nor words from movies. Which reminds me, any of you listen to new-age music? They hardly contain any lyrics at all…and they sure fit into my broad imagination.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2016, 10:34 pm

BrendonIrwan wrote:
I guess it's not only me who doesn't have great abilities to grasp lyrics out of music nor words from movies. Which reminds me, any of you listen to new-age music? They hardly contain any lyrics at all…and they sure fit into my broad imagination.

I've heard it a few times...and yes, I know what you mean. :)

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2016, 10:55 pm

Also: Kiss This Guy - The Archive of Misheard Lyrics

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

hmk66
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Apr 2016, 1:53 pm

BrendonIrwan wrote:

My native tongue is Dutch. Most of the time I watch Dutch TV. The problem is, that I often can't understand what is said. I have to record the sound in my head, replay it, and then interpret my mental recordings.

I sometimes watch English and German TV, or someone on the Dutch TV speaks English or German (with Dutch subtitles). And then it is suddenly not a problem anymore. I understand and can follow anything that has been said.

Is it me or my autism? Apparently not. My parents have the same problem, and none of them are autistic. I have also tinnitus, but that can be ruled out as well for the same reason. It is the poor speaking skills of Dutch program and movie makers.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2016, 6:10 pm

Gematron wrote:
Yeah I don't hear the words either. I hear it mostly as a sound that goes with the music. I can hear every other instruments playing in the songs though. Even the ones that most people don't hear cause they're caught up in the lyrics.

This.
I listen to it as absolute music, so I always forget to pay attention to the lyrics.

Zizu58
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Apr 2016, 9:37 pm

Gematron wrote:
Yeah I don't hear the words either. I hear it mostly as a sound that goes with the music. I can hear every other instruments playing in the songs though. Even the ones that most people don't hear cause they're caught up in the lyrics.

This ! Exactly this ! !

Now this is why I love this site as I've never seen or heard that sentiment anywhere else apart from my mind !

I often tell people that when I listen to any kind of music with lyrics - I hear words as just another sound rather than a meaningful word . So I have NO IDEA AT ALL what a song is about but I can remember every NOTE OR SOUND of that song ..

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2016, 10:54 pm

Am a musician, of a genre that either does not use lyrics or uses them rarely.

I listen to electronic music and most of the stuff I listen to is also electronic (non-vocal).

I'm far more use to trying to listen to music actively rather than passively.

I try to pick out every sound, texture and instrument, and, electronic is usually a very repetitive genre with subtle differences here and there, so I try to discern and analyze all the small changes.

Don't have any issues hearing lyrics in electronic, as I'm use to it.

Other genres though, are a different question, as they are made differently.

Rock/country lyrics I can pick out every 2nd to 4th word, usually due to the vocalist having a far more unclear voice.

Pop music just sounds very congested to me as the vocals are overly-loud and the instruments crushed so they can barely be heard.

I also focus far too much on trying to hear the instruments.

Rap, don't even ask. Far too difficult.

Every 3rd word seems to be a common swear word, making it very distracting, they're far too fast, and I just find singing more easier to interpret than speaking.

Evil_Chuck
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Apr 2016, 3:41 pm

This happens to me a lot! I thought I was the only one. Often I can't make out exactly what a singer is saying, especially when I hear a song for the first time. I have to listen to it multiple times or just look up the lyrics. With TV I can usually understand, but the closed-captioning is always on just in case. I find it very helpful, and often I enjoy reading the lines even more than hearing them.

FUNNY DEATH METAL LYRICS OF THE WEEK: 'DEMON'S WIND' BY VADER
Clammy frog descends
Demon's wind, the stars answer your desire
Join the undead, that's the place you'll never leave
You wanna die... but death cannot do us apart...

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2016, 4:06 pm

Not lyric based, but sorta the same:

Was watching TV last night and noticed something odd. It had a few people in a crowd. There were certain vocal types that I just could not understand at all. I could understand certain qualities in the same scene and then a different person would talk and it sounded a bit like Morse code in that I could only hear punctuated sounds and not words. Most of them I had to piece the conversations together by context....really disrupts the flow of things, eh?

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8