Don't feel like I am *like* other autistic people

Page 3 of 4 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ShadowProphet
Toucan
Toucan

07 Nov 2016, 10:13 pm

TheAP wrote:
Reasons I feel I am not like other autistic people:

- I like pop music and don't hate reality shows and celebrity culture. I'm just not very cynical in general.

I like pop music as well. I happen to like "neurotypical music" a lot.

I'm not a very cynical person in general either, i'm a pretty open and easy-going guy and anybody who knows me would probably say the same thing. I always try to be understanding because I know that everybody is different and everybody is unique so I try not to hate someone just because they're simply misunderstood.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2016, 10:34 pm

ShadowProphet wrote:
TheAP wrote:
Reasons I feel I am not like other autistic people:

- I like pop music and don't hate reality shows and celebrity culture. I'm just not very cynical in general.

I like pop music as well. I happen to like "neurotypical music" a lot.

I'm not a very cynical person in general either, i'm a pretty open and easy-going guy and anybody who knows me would probably say the same thing. I always try to be understanding because I know that everybody is different and everybody is unique so I try not to hate someone just because they're simply misunderstood.

That's great. :D

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2016, 11:00 pm

BTDT wrote:
Perhaps it is because we are looking for differences, rather than similarities?

"But I'm not like THAT"

I've done more than most Aspies--married, paid off a mortgage, lived through my spouse's passing.

But, if I look long and hard enough, I can certainly identify with nearly all the issues that most Aspies have.
Face blindness and the inability to forget tiny details--3.1415926 6.022045 x 10^23 stuff like that. 8O
Difficulties with riding a bicycle and driving--though I've now driven over 5 years without an accident. :lol:
Cross dominance and remarkable visual memory--flipping through a book and absorbing content
when you're trying to reply to a thread, and someone beats you to it. :?

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2016, 11:10 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I would like to meet another maths/logics-challenged aspie much like meself :alien:

I suck royally at maths. I do think very logically though so you got half your wish!

Wreck It Ralph

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2016, 11:11 pm

skibum wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
I would like to meet another maths/logics-challenged aspie much like meself :alien:

I suck royally at maths. I do think very logically though so you got half your wish!

the only kinda logic I did well with, much to my pleasant surprise, was symbolic logic, which I actually got a by-god A in! :o

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2016, 11:12 pm

TheAP wrote:
Well, yes. It's just that no one seems to get upset over the specific things that upset me.
what kind of things upset you?

Wreck It Ralph

quaker
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2016, 3:25 am

I have high functioning autism. I am also right brained dominant. Being right brained dominant often gives me an advantage over many in the autistic spectrum with respect to adapting to life and in social situations. Combined with having had an extremely abusive childhood whereby I had to adapt or be cruelly humiliated, I became an extremely good actor.

Here is a little something I wrote recently in the second person.

"It is quite ironic that what you regard as one of your greatest achievements, your adaptive skills, became your greatest impediment and barrier to being diagnosed and getting the help you so desperately needed. You simply became too convincing behind your persona of normality for the depth of struggle and heartbreak to reveal itself. It seemed that for every humiliation you received as a child, your mask of so called normality became ever more fused to your being. However, what once served to protect you from abuse and humiliation, was now constricting and crushing."

Life is different for me now. After spending a lifetime studying the human condition, today I am allowing myself to 'be' human.

It has been my experience that it takes time to connect with people in the autistic spectrum, yet if I allow myself that time I can often see through their game and they can see through my game. We can be who we are.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2016, 4:03 am

quaker wrote:
Life is different for me now. After spending a lifetime studying the human condition, today I am allowing myself to 'be' human. It has been my experience that it takes time to connect with people in the autistic spectrum, yet if I allow myself that time I can often see through their game and they can see through my game. We can be who we are.

glad you are here :) your post reminds me of that old Charlene song "I've never been to me."

Shahunshah
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2016, 4:05 am

From the looks yes you are different from many autistic people. Many will live their whole lives non-verbal and unable to live independently its a whole other world and simply not your experience. In regards to Aspies and people with High Functioning Autism yes you are likely to have more in common then not.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2016, 4:10 am

I have much more in common with the moderately functioning group of aspies.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2016, 12:28 pm

skibum wrote:
TheAP wrote:
Well, yes. It's just that no one seems to get upset over the specific things that upset me.

A lot of things, but mostly generalizations. Like if a teacher or other leader makes a negative comment about the class/group as a whole. Or if someone uses the word "nobody" when it's not accurate.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2016, 1:10 pm

TheAP wrote:
skibum wrote:
TheAP wrote:

A lot of things, but mostly generalizations. Like if a teacher or other leader makes a negative comment about the class/group as a whole. Or if someone uses the word "nobody" when it's not accurate.
Similar thing would bother me as well. Especially something like the first example you gave.

Wreck It Ralph

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 2:45 am

Herd mentality is everywhere I guess.

There's the spirit of helping people in a similar situation, or in the same diagnosis because you're in the same boat whether or not you're the same. Legal issues, public perception, etc, hurt or help mostly the same. But a lot of people claim they speak for autistics, or women with Asperger's, and nothing they describe is me or what I "need" to do.

auntblabby wrote:

I was never good at math, I was good at creative subjects and language.

quaker
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 3:19 am

Maths was as alien to me as voting for a right wing politician........ Good luck America.

Autism is for me a way of being, and as such can never adequately be conveyed through theories, concepts or analysis. ‘I didn’t arrive,’ said Albert Einstein, ‘at my understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe through my rational mind.’ And I know exactly where he was coming from.

Autism is for me a way of perceiving reality in a particular way. Oscar Wilde enters into this wonderfully when he says, ‘The final mystery is oneself. When one has weighed the sun in the balance, and measured the steps of the moon, and mapped out the seven heavens star by star, there still remains oneself. Who can calculate the orbit of his own soul?’

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 3:24 am

quaker wrote:
Maths was as alien to me as voting for a right wing politician........ Good luck America.
Autism is for me a way of being, and as such can never adequately be conveyed through theories, concepts or analysis. ‘I didn’t arrive,’ said Albert Einstein, ‘at my understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe through my rational mind.’ And I know exactly where he was coming from. Autism is for me a way of perceiving reality in a particular way. Oscar Wilde enters into this wonderfully when he says, ‘The final mystery is oneself. When one has weighed the sun in the balance, and measured the steps of the moon, and mapped out the seven heavens star by star, there still remains oneself. Who can calculate the orbit of his own soul?’

thank you for your good sympathetic thoughts regarding our national nightmare. :flower: I still can't calculate the orbit of my own soul. :scratch:

quaker
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2016, 3:26 am

Your welcome. I'm always inspired to hear your take on things AB.........

I'm wishing you well and all Americans in this time........

Peace