Can one be said to have "only a touch" of Asperger's

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Aspergian97
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Apr 2016, 1:51 pm

I just got out of a conversation with my mum who was telling me about my original diagnosis. Apparently the woman who identified me as Aspergian told my mum that I had only "a touch" of the syndrome. I seemed easy to talk to, I made some eye contact and generally communicated effectively. This was all my mum knew. Should this be put down to me having only a slight measure of some neural abnormality, or is it more accurate that I as a person just dealt better with having to engage with neurotypicals. Should this define me as a "mild" Aspergian, or is it just down to me as a person, I mean if you give a group of people one particular task, (in this case typical social engagement) some will just take to it better, regardless of their cognitive state, won't they?

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2016, 2:16 pm

If you were able to get a diagnosis then that means that you are autistic enough for it to be considered a disability, but you might not be very far past that point. The autism spectrum goes below that point too, and I have some family members and friends who have autistic tendencies but are undiagnosable.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art