Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Diamonddavej
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2007, 9:52 pm

I’m having a panic attack. I haven’t had one in years, until now. Things have been very stressful at home recently and it’s affected me. I’ve been really stressed and unable to sleep, I can't get to sleep until 7 of 8 am. I sleep during the day.

The first time I had a panic attack was when I was 14 in 1987, at an astronomy lecture (only an Aspie could get sooo exited over astronomy). That started nearly 10 years of panic attacks. When I first got them I could hardly leave home and sometimes I had to be sent home from school. Gradually they stopped, I got over them in 1998-1999.

Its not that bad right now, just a thump-thump palpitation, shakiness and occasional thoughts that I’m going to lose control. I used to feel this way all throughout my adolescence. I was like Tweek from South Park!

How common are panic attacks in Asperger’s anyway? Any advice on stopping them?

"Tweek is portrayed as a hyperactive boy who has messy blonde hair, generally wears a grey-green shirt buttoned incorrectly, and dark blue jeans. Tweek is noted for his quirky mannerisms; he is always nervous and jittery and usually overdosed on caffeine, leading to extreme paranoia and hyperactivity."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tweek

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jNol9UMY-k[/youtube]

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2007, 10:00 pm

I read that anxiety can occur alongside Asperger Syndrome. That was certainly true of me! I had mild anxiety starting at age 3, and full-blown panic attacks starting at age 7. They occured off and on until I started middle school/junior high, and then I panicked around the clock and had to be medicated because of it (and other things like OCD).

I haven't had a panic attack in a couple of years, and I feel great. If panic attacks are a problem for you, you ought to talk to a psychiatrist about starting some medication.

Diamonddavej
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2007, 10:08 pm

I was not given any help when a teen. I didn't (or couldn't) explain that I was scared so the Dr. thought it was my heart not my head. That is one of the problem with AS, it can be difficult to explain emotionally what is wrong. I just said factually that my heart was going faster and then the Dr. checked my heart and said he could not find anything wrong bye bye.

I was on Prozac last year (a low dose of 20mg day) and it help allot with my OCD like obsessive thoughts, they just disappeared. Maybe I'll try it again.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

27 Apr 2007, 10:45 pm

i used to get some really bad panic attacks a few years ago, from the ages of 18-22, it was like a terrible acid trip. it was horrible!
i occasionally get them i supose, maybe a serious one like once every 6 months or so

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2007, 10:45 pm

I think that they're fairly common. I've had a killer of a panic attack, last summer the evening of the day that my mum told me not to talk about my obsessions, when my dad was around. I was doing dishes and my dad was sitting at the table. I was thinking about Routemasters, and I thought that my dad was able to read my thoughts. I started to feel very hot, and I was running out of breath. I now think about that moment, every time that I feel like spending my money on stuff that I don't need, because I don't want to move back in with my parents, just to have that happen, again.

lab_pet
Raven
Raven

27 Apr 2007, 11:07 pm

I experience similar phenomena regularly....sigh. To clarify, I have been informed this is an autistic "meltdown," which is distinct from an ordinary panic attack. For me, my enhanced sensory modality is overwhelmed, plus massive stress, change in venue, etc. When I have a meltdown, I lose my verbal ability (I am nearly mute anyway) and, in a severe meltdown, I am basically incapacitated. My prescription, Clonazepam, is indicated for a mild seizure disorder. Although I am not an epileptic, an autistic meltdown may be a form of a petit mal seizure. Truly, I am uncertain of the implications of a meltdown. I just know, for me, this is sheer horror and I'm rendered exhausted from screaming, crying uncontrollably, and feeling disoriented (this probably is not the right word, but close). And, I take Lexapro to regulate my serotonin. Maybe your doctor could prescribe a mild anti-seizure plus anti-anxiety medication, such as my Clonazepam, or something equivalent? I do not mean to be instrusive or give advice (I'm not qualified); I am just relating what meds ameliorate my symptoms. I hate meltdowns. I wear a medical alert ID bracelt in the event I experience an episode in public where I am vulnerable and cannot communicate. I cannot know if what I have related on this post is applicable or helpful to you......good luck. Hopefully your doctor can guide you as to the appropriate treatment. I use a weighted blanket to calm myself after a meltdown too. Plus, there are techniques to reduce your stress and be aware of the precursors to a meltdown.

Diamonddavej
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2007, 11:24 pm

I’m feeling allot better now. I’m going to go for a walk tomorrow. I haven’t left my house in a week. I got a digital SLR cameral for Christmas so I might go to the nearby Botanical Gardens and take some photos. Here is a picture I took last January.

lab_pet
Raven
Raven

27 Apr 2007, 11:32 pm

I love the colors in your photo. And, for me, after a meltdown, I just carry on and never dwell on the episode. Going out is probably the best for you. Hope you are well. Consider, though, you may have a mild autistic-like seizure disorder. In general, are your senses enhanced &/or "fluidic" as are mine? This could be a clue.....just wondering. I do not handle stress well; I like routine. I have an eidetic memory, which can be chaos. I am therefore somewhat fragile. If I do not sleep well, or sufficiently, my symptoms accelerate.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 12:38 am

My life is and has been a perpetual panic attack. At least I don’t panic when the cars crash…I already am!

It can only get better from here! :roll: Valium is good stuff....

Diamonddavej
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 12:40 am

I just get into a zone, like a tunnel, where all I focus on is fear. Also, rather then enhanced, my sense seem to dull, sounds seem muffled. At the same time I can focus too much, recently I saw a crack in the wall and as I stared at it I was convinced it was getting bigger, I ran downstairs and said the house was falling down. It’s the negative side effect of having an over focused and obsessive mind.

I'm calm now.

agentcyclosarin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 6:37 am

I get panic attacks too. They come out of no where often, I think it might have more to do with my PTSD than AS. I can see how AS could sometimes cause panic attacks and anxiety though. Anxiety in general however is pretty common.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 7:05 am

I've had panic attacks. They are not the same as meltdowns. But they are due to anxiety. Mostly I hyperventilate. This can cause serve cramping especially when I'm ill. My fingers are priced shut, my jaw locks, my leg muscle go into rock hard balls and I buckle over. I've had panic attacks when I'm ill and also is social setting like train station.

Meltdown is more a sensory thing. Like I can't have the tv and radio on at the same time.

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 7:59 am

This autistic "meltdown" thingee: is it kind of like a mix between a panic attack and a migraine? It kind of sounds like it to me, and I experience a similar thingee:

Fear and anxiety that's overwhelming (like a panic attack)
I don't talk to the only person I talk to (mute to my ma)
Completely withdrawn from everything
Everything is in slow-motion except me
I'm extra sensitive to visual and auditory stimuli
I get really agitated and irritable to the point of not “functioning”
Visual disturbances like a migraine

I chalked these episodes up to “just another panic attack”.

Drekka
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Apr 2007, 8:10 am

Ive had panic attacks all my life. Starting at age 4. They usually come out of the blue. 1 sentence can trigger a panic attack. Like this one time, someone said: you have nothing to fear but fear itself. I started thinking "should I fear fear" and so on. It was my most horrifying panic attack yet. Kinda funny when u think about it afterwards tho. Stupid thing to be affraid of some words. I once had a panic attack cuz i felt like the whole world went silent all of a sudden. I also get attacks if im really stressed, like i cant go on an airplane, its a torture for me. A constant panic throughout the flight. eaaggh.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 8:28 am

lab_pet wrote:
I experience similar phenomena regularly....sigh. To clarify, I have been informed this is an autistic "meltdown," which is distinct from an ordinary panic attack. For me, my enhanced sensory modality is overwhelmed, plus massive stress, change in venue, etc. When I have a meltdown, I lose my verbal ability (I am nearly mute anyway) and, in a severe meltdown, I am basically incapacitated. My prescription, Clonazepam, is indicated for a mild seizure disorder. Although I am not an epileptic, an autistic meltdown may be a form of a petit mal seizure. Truly, I am uncertain of the implications of a meltdown. I just know, for me, this is sheer horror and I'm rendered exhausted from screaming, crying uncontrollably, and feeling disoriented (this probably is not the right word, but close). And, I take Lexapro to regulate my serotonin. Maybe your doctor could prescribe a mild anti-seizure plus anti-anxiety medication, such as my Clonazepam, or something equivalent? I do not mean to be instrusive or give advice (I'm not qualified); I am just relating what meds ameliorate my symptoms. I hate meltdowns. I wear a medical alert ID bracelt in the event I experience an episode in public where I am vulnerable and cannot communicate. I cannot know if what I have related on this post is applicable or helpful to you......good luck. Hopefully your doctor can guide you as to the appropriate treatment. I use a weighted blanket to calm myself after a meltdown too. Plus, there are techniques to reduce your stress and be aware of the precursors to a meltdown.

If you dialed your description down a few notches, it would be like mine. I stutter, scramble words, and may seem incoherent. Luckily it is pretty rare. It may have happened like 20 times in the past 10 years. USUALLY nobody notices because I try to get out of the area when I feel that bad. And nobody could day anything really requiring thought from me, because I don't even want to listen. I USED to believe this was NORMAL and simply that I was more sensitive to it, and my passivity "encouraged" the situation. So what is the difference between a meltdown and a panic attack?

Steve

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2007, 10:12 am

Diamonddavej wrote:
I’m feeling allot better now. I’m going to go for a walk tomorrow. I haven’t left my house in a week. I got a digital SLR cameral for Christmas so I might go to the nearby Botanical Gardens and take some photos. Here is a picture I took last January.

Those better not be poppies!