Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

random1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Apr 2016, 8:50 pm

do they view us as a NT?

are they able to tell something off about us?

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2016, 9:23 pm

I think most of the time for most of us people can tell that we are not entirely normal. I will ask a few people I know about that though.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2016, 10:08 pm

Surprisingly, many of them don't seem to think about us at all!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2016, 10:15 pm

Fnord wrote:

Or they use us as shields in arguments when we have our own voice, which to me, annoys me even more.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2016, 10:32 pm

andrethemoogle wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Or they use us as shields in arguments when we have our own voice, which to me, annoys me even more.

Ditto.

DestinedToBeAPotato
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: floating on the molecular clouds of interstellar space

17 Apr 2016, 10:35 pm

andrethemoogle wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Shields? Can you expound on that, please. I don't understand. You mean that they use us as an excuse to cover something up or..?

christophelambypie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Apr 2016, 10:39 pm

Quite frankly I don't know what they think or for that matter give a monkey's!! !
I suggest you ask them.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2016, 11:13 pm

I think this is an unfair question because the spectrum is so wide. From the uncanny valley to the classic autistic person. And we are all so radically unique.

And, most of them are completely ignorant. I know I was until 7 months ago. Before then it was just things you pick up on in general media. Dr. House has Asperger's, that sort of stuff.

Until that time, I thought Autism was the classic, sitting in the corner, completely non-verbal and banging the head against the wall. So, until 7 months ago, that was my impression. And, I know I didn't think about it much.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2016, 11:42 pm

I don't really have an answer to that question. It's never crossed my mind. I've been too busy having fun.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2016, 12:08 am

That is a very broad question because it depends on the individual. What have people thought of me over the years; weird, strange, sick, despicable, disgusting, selfish, spoiled, show off, ret*d, stupid, dumb, idiot, thought I did the chicca chicca boom boom thing just because I would push my clothing into my arm pits because I don't like my bare skin touching, dork, slow, vain, thought I talked funny, and rude. Because autism is mostly invisible, people will think negative things of us unless we are on the severe end of the spectrum.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2016, 1:45 am

DestinedToBeAPotato wrote:
andrethemoogle wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Shields? Can you expound on that, please. I don't understand. You mean that they use us as an excuse to cover something up or..?

SJWs use us as an excuse for their agenda and try to speak for us, instead of us letting us speak for ourselves. They're akin to Auti$m $peaks in a way.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2016, 4:10 am

andrethemoogle wrote:
SJWs use us as an excuse for their agenda and try to speak for us, instead of us letting us speak for ourselves. They're akin to Auti$m $peaks in a way.
While there are those that do do that, we are hardly unique to us. That happens with any special interest group such as polio (ok, I'm that old), MS, etc. We are not the only ones.

And, yes, I completely agree with the sentiment. I was appalled at Autism Speaks when I saw some woman on a Morning Show on Autism Day. So, yeah, I hate well meaning doo-gooders who have no clue and try to define things for others....

Yes, I spelled it with 'Doo" on purpose.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2016, 5:39 am

I would say NT's wouldn't think of us as autistic at all. At the most, they would think of us as weird/eccentric/odd/off-putting.

As Zkydz stated, most people think of autism as people rocking back and forth, stimming, twirling things, and making funny noises. They think of Rainman as the acme of autism.

This will change, amongst young people, because people with autism, of the Aspergian/HFA variety, are being mainstreamed in public and private schools. The average high-schooler probably is less ignorant of autism than the average 30-year-old.

In this case, it depends upon the individual NT and the individual autistic person.

DestinedToBeAPotato
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: floating on the molecular clouds of interstellar space

18 Apr 2016, 6:41 am

andrethemoogle wrote:
andrethemoogle wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Ah, I get it now. Thank you fit explaining. :D

That is indeed true, we're often used as "helpless" props that make people look better. It's the whole "oh look at me everyone, I'm treating an autistic person like an actual human being. Look how progressive I am." :roll:

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2016, 7:04 am

They often, just use
us like that.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2016, 8:09 am

That is indeed true, we're often used as "helpless" props that make people look better. It's the whole "oh look at me everyone, I'm treating an autistic person like an actual human being. Look how progressive I am." :roll:
Ok spuddly, that's offensive because I want you to know that I also have one black friend!! :jester: :jester: :jester: :jester:

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13