Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Beammeup
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Apr 2007, 11:21 pm

My sibling, a physician in the traditional medical community for many years, has charted a new course to explore Biofeedback as a naturopathic alternative to medications for those suffering from many of the conditions discussed here on WP.

I tried my sibling’s equipment once. It was fun racing spaceships with my brain-waves… Sort-of didn’t like how I felt afterwards… Like: zzzzzzzzttt… trying to zap my brain, eh…

Also known as: Neurofeedback... LINK: http://www.eeginfo.com

Hah! I’m looking for feedback here… Sincere feedback…

Comments anyone???

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

29 Apr 2007, 11:42 pm

Any aspie worth his salt will build his own EEG to experiment with. Rather than paying
some quacks $50 hour for 100 biweekly treatments costing $5000.

http://openeeg.sourceforge.net/doc/

maldoror
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2007, 12:28 am

Is that sort of like what people do when they wire up 9 volt batteries to their temples?

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2007, 12:44 am

maldoror wrote:
Is that sort of like what people do when they wire up 9 volt batteries to their temples?

No they read brain waves from certain parts of their brains then try to learn to control them. For example those with ADHD likely produce too much theta waves. So doing exercises that train your brain to produce more beta waves can help treat it. Though the people in the neurofeedback community will not publish effective studies that mainstream scientist can use to determine if its any more effective than no treatment.

Ferris
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Apr 2007, 8:45 pm

A more practical approach would be to analyze how you store and access memory and sensory information and attempt to improve it by changing your own brain structure. Brain waves don't mean much to even the most practices neurologist, let alone the layman.

I've been doing this since I was a kid and can illicit a lot of different responses from my body that aren't normal, such as turning on or off pain. Meditation (not the traditional kind) is very helpful if you want to try this.

I wish I could help out more, but I've never been able to explain the process well to other people.

Beammeup
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 May 2007, 12:12 am

TheMachine1 wrote:
...they read brain waves from certain parts of their brains then try to learn to control them. For example those with ADHD likely produce too much theta waves. So doing exercises that train your brain to produce more beta waves can help treat it...

So, is there anyone with ADHD, or knows of someone with ADHD that can comment to benefits experienced, or lack of, or adverse reaction, if any? Thanks...

It is covered by insurance in some cases I understand...

TheMachine1 wrote:
...Though the people in the neurofeedback community will not publish effective studies that mainstream scientist can use to determine if its any more effective than no treatment.

I'll pass this on to my sibling... with a request to publish effective results...! !!

Thanks...

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2007, 12:56 am

Beammeup wrote:
So, is there anyone with ADHD, or knows of someone with ADHD that can comment to benefits experienced, or lack of, or adverse reaction, if any? Thanks...

I follow an ADHD forum and a guy mention the same EEG institute. He started a blog but
never updated it. My opinion he was just a hack promoting the company.