Is this a example of language impairment?

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

random1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Apr 2016, 1:03 pm

I asked my teacher can I use the restroom and he said idk can you?
I said yes I can.
Then he said you mean may I use the restroom?
Then I said may I use the restroom.

Is this like some language processing issue.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 1:20 pm

I don't think so. From my understanding, language impairment is language development that is substantially delayed...for example, frequently misusing pronouns or saying unrelated word substitutions often.

Ideational dyspraxia causes me to mix words up frequently during speech, rarely becomes very difficult to follow. I know what I mean to say, though my brain might want to say something different.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 6:35 pm

I think your teacher was being a bit of a smart-aleck, and a stickler for semantics.

No, that dialogue does not present any evidence of a language impairment.

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 7:05 pm

That's just semantics (if that is the correct word).

Saying can I, is like saying am I able to (in a physical sense), rather than may I which is in a permission sense. If that makes sense.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 7:16 pm

The teacher was pointing out that you are supposed to use may instead of can. May refers to having permission. Can indicates having the ability to do something. Technically, may should have been used, because you were asking if you had permission.

Teachers said that all the time when I was in elementary school. It is not a language processing issue. People use the word "can" incorrectly in this manner all the time.

random1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Apr 2016, 7:19 pm

Yigeren wrote:
The teacher was pointing out that you are supposed to use may instead of can. May refers to having permission. Can indicates having the ability to do something. Technically, may should have been used, because you were asking if you had permission.

Teachers said that all the time when I was in elementary school. It is not a language processing issue. People use the word "can" incorrectly in this manner all the time.

is there anymore examples of language issues?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 7:34 pm

random1 wrote:
Yigeren wrote:

is there anymore examples of language issues?

Yigeran just said that it is NOT an example of a "language processing issue" (like dyslexia, or tourettes, or whatever).

It just what teachers do to teach grammar and vocabulary.

Other examples of the kind of correcting teachers do are:

Don't say "ain't"(its not considered a real word).

Don't use double/triple negatives like "Don't never do that no more!".

Don't confuse "lie", and "lay" (you lay an object down, and you lie down on a bed).

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 8:58 pm

No, it's normal to say can I use the bathroom.
There are some people like your teacher who are obsessed with grammar and say the same old boring thing "can you use the bathroom" cliche.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 9:09 pm

That too^.

I agree with Krafty and Britny that that teacher was going a bit beyond normal teaching to being a bit of wise-ass.

But the point is that the incident has nothing to do with you having a "speech impediment", or "language disorder".

random1
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Apr 2016, 9:36 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
No, it's normal to say can I use the bathroom.
There are some people like your teacher who are obsessed with grammar and say the same old boring thing "can you use the bathroom" cliche.

and they say us obsessions arent normal...

im guessing its a habit.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 9:55 pm

"May I something something' is supposed to be better grammar than saying "Can I something something". I was taught this a long time ago, like first grade maybe. Of course, the teacher will say "Can I whatever" all the time when they're not in class. Adults are always telling you what not to do, then they end up doing the exact same thing themselves. "Don't drink, don't smoke, don't do drugs, don't eat junk food, don't argue, don't complain, don't lie don't steal don't murder don't DON'T."

I especially hate how adults will tell you how extremely wrong it is to lie when they're always lying to you, because they think you're too young and stupid to understand the truth. "Your dog didn't die, he just went on a trip", "The needle will not hurt", "The toys store is closed on Saturdays", "You're going to love this slimy gunk I just cooked," "The reason you can't eat that food is because it's really poisonous and will kill you." But I digress.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 11:28 pm

Grammar exists for a reason. In many situations those minor differences can make a huge difference. In most everyday life of the average person, but it does make a difference.

It also makes the difference between sounding educated and not sounding educated. If you want to succeed, the least you can do is sound educated to the best of your ability.

Whether the teacher was being snarky, it's not that bad and been around for ages. My grandparents told me stories about it when they would say it to me. They thought it was funny for some reason. But, I never felt bad about it because they did laugh about it.

Especially sense they were from Alabama and said things like "Now, y'all com'on back now, y'heeeerrr" My dad sorta sound like Andy Griffith sometimes if that gives you a clue.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2016, 12:06 am

random1 wrote:
I asked my teacher can I use the restroom and he said idk can you?
I said yes I can.
Then he said you mean may I use the restroom?
Then I said may I use the restroom.

Is this like some language processing issue.

I had a teacher just like that in high school. She drove me nuts when she did that.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2016, 12:36 am

The teacher apparently does not know everything about the proper use of "may" and "can".
If the teacher says you "may" not use the bathroom, then you "can" not use the bathroom until the teacher says you "may".
So it's perfectly logical to skip the "may I" and go right to the "can I"

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2016, 1:04 am

Marybird wrote:
The teacher apparently does not know everything about the proper use of "may" and "can".
If the teacher says you "may" not use the bathroom, then you "can" not use the bathroom until the teacher says you "may".
So it's perfectly logical to skip the "may I" and go right to the "can I"
That's a bit of prevaricating around the bush to try and win a point LOL

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2016, 7:55 am