Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2017, 3:56 pm

As this is an autism forum, you may want to add more information to your post, it's more of a statement at the moment with no questions.

I don't think you meant it this way. Why not ask a question pertaining to the posts you would like.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2017, 4:19 pm

They say that working memory is related to ability to do multi-step tasks in info on executive functioning. I scored below average but better than I expected . I wonder what others here with executive functioning difficulties will score. Is this a good test of working memory? If not could someone point me to a better online test.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2017, 4:24 pm

I got 25 - pretty similar to you.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2017, 4:44 pm

I don't even know if I a problem with executive functioning but I scored 45

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2017, 4:54 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
I don't even know if I a problem with executive functioning

Good point - I have no idea whether I have a problem here either.

But this sure feels like a short term memory test to me, and I'm pretty sure that most people on the spectrum are supposed to be bad at short term memory, regardless of whether they have explicit executive functioning problems.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2017, 5:05 pm

"The test is complete, thank you for your participation! Your score was 46."

Wow, I'm surprised at that, cuz I DO have EF problems----and, I DO have horrible short-term memory; but, they said that it will appear higher, because alot of people quit, before the test is finished----so, I can buy that, better, then.....

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2017, 5:21 pm

According to this site: https://www.autism-programs.com/article ... nction.htm

"Not all people on the autism spectrum have EF problems. But many do.

The tendency to ignore executive function in autism treatment has had significant implications for those individuals on the spectrum who do have difficulties with EF (estimated to be as high as 80%)."

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2017, 6:33 pm

Seems to me that with all those horrible little box symbols with tiny numbers in them, it's more of an eyesight test than a memory test. I just couldn't read the numbers in time, which threw me so I started forgetting the other stuff. I abandoned the test because (1) it was annoying me, (2) I sense an artefact, and (3) I know my working memory is crap.

I notice it whenever I'm about to do something and get momentarily distracted, and I "lose my thread." Often if I keep calm for a few moments I can remember, and I always recognise the forgotten thing when it's brought back to my attention, so I think the memory is always still there just below the surface of my awareness.

It's a pain in the butt having poor working memory, e.g. I want to ask somebody a question in real life, they're busy, so I have to wait a few moments, and I forget the question.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2017, 7:10 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:

It's a pain in the butt having poor working memory, e.g. I want to ask somebody a question in real life, they're busy, so I have to wait a few moments, and I forget the question.

If that's an example of poor executive functioning then I'm guilty as sin :lol:

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Sep 2017, 9:01 pm

22 suprised I get that high.

221B
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Sep 2017, 4:37 pm

i think primarily visual thinkers do better on this test. but it's a somewhat accurate test in my opinion. im a verbal/visual thinker. i struggled and scored 30.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2017, 10:07 pm

I struggled with this test a lot and couldnt even read the thing to understand my score

is 25 good? is it bad?

i found the test hard and i have very poor information processing speed.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

04 Sep 2017, 2:44 am

there were a few which had more than one of the same rectangle as an answer option but not necessarily more than one rectangle in the original sequence. i'm not sure what they meant by that.

SharkSandwich211
Toucan
Toucan

04 Sep 2017, 6:47 pm

scored a 41

Hypercoaster
Raven
Raven

04 Sep 2017, 9:52 pm

I got a 50. I don't think the test is all that great. Here's why. Many symbols they showed were actual symbols that meant something. Like, in the example you read before you take the test, one of the symbols was the fancy "M" for the zodiac Scorpio. During the test, there were many more symbols that meant something, like the circle with the arrow that means "male", a hexagon that looked like the organic chemistry structure for benzene, etc. Whenever I was shown a symbol that had an actual meaning in real life, I remembered it strongly. Why? Because, as it flashed across my screen, not only did it interest me more, my brain involuntarily would say the name of the symbol. So, I'd remember those symbols easily. But when I was shown squiggles and lines that have no meaning in real life, I'd only remember them if they stood out to me for some reason or if they were the last symbol shown (primacy effect). I think this would be a better test of working memory if ALL of the symbols they used had no other meaning outside of the test.