Asking questions that can easily be solved via common sense

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

danch
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 May 2016, 5:19 am

...../deductive reasoning. Is this an autistic trait? It's something I've noticed here and that I'm definitely guilty of doing (this thread for example).

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2016, 6:15 am

If you mean asking questions you can solve on your own. I suppose that is just seeking reassurance.

This_Space_Intentionally_Left_Blank
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 May 2016, 11:22 am

I have no issues with deductive reasoning but here’s the problem, logic is very difficult sometimes.

Deductive reasoning is only deductive reasoning if the rules are followed. Most of the time in life we don’t have the whole picture so we make assumptions about the information we don’t have and continue on. When we observe an effect and assume a cause we are using abductive reasoning. When we observe a cause and assume an effect we are using inductive reasoning.

The problem with abductive and inductive reasoning is that they are often incorrect. I ask others to check some of my thoughts all the time. That’s because I use a lot of inductive and abductive reasoning and it can get me into trouble. I make a lot of logical fallacies.

I'm not completely sure what you were asking about though. You were rather vague.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2016, 4:49 pm

I ask common-sense type questions when my brain feels glitchy and I don't know if my common sense is working properly. Especially if it involves something like power tools.