*Munch-Munch* chewing noises and aspies

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

PeachCastella
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 May 2016, 7:18 am

My aspie bro Chris hates the noises of somebody chewing or eating, just watching them eat makes him angry like burnt toast and he might hit and attack and scream and roar at people... his aversion to chewing noises have gived him really alful meltdowns were he screams "DO YOU WANNA CALL THE COPS ON ME, DAD?!"

do you have the chewing noises problems? :heart:

Dawn Crow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 May 2016, 7:38 am

One of my siblings ate so loudly that it could be heard through two insulated walls. It is monstrously loud.

Oddly I'm one of the least bothered by it. However, the reason is bothers me at all is primarily due to my inability to comprehend how or why they eat like that. It's horrible inefficient and I suspect the taste is also diminished...why?

Wouldn't it restrict them from leaning forward because it would fall out their mouth?

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2016, 8:01 am

I don't react that strongly but I can't stand the sound of chewing. It makes me cringe. As long as I have some background noise like a tv or something it won't bother me too much

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 May 2016, 9:57 am

PeachCastella wrote:

My aspie bro Chris hates the noises of somebody chewing or eating, just watching them eat makes him angry like burnt toast and he might hit and attack and scream and roar at people... his aversion to chewing noises have gived him really alful meltdowns were he screams "DO YOU WANNA CALL THE COPS ON ME, DAD?!"

do you have the chewing noises problems? :heart:

This sounds like a really tough situation for everyone involved. It's clearly stressful for your brother but it must also be really stressful for everyone else in the family too. I have mild ASD and I respond in a very similar way. I don't know why but I just can't stand to hear the sound of someone eating. I have no idea why, but it gets me really upset very very quickly. The thing is I am aware that others don't respond like this and that it is 'not appropriate' but it very diffcult to manage because it's like a reflex action, similar to the way some people get a bad reaction to someone scraping their fingernails down a blackboard.

At home, nowadays, my son and I have the TV on during dinner which helps me to drown out eating noises - so that helps a lot. Another thing which can help, for me, is to wear earphones with something like the sound of a waterfall on it. This can be adjusted so that you can still hear people talking but not people eating. These methods help me work around the problem.

Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ICD10)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2016, 10:42 am

The sound of chewing doesn't bother me at all. It's the sound of loud coughing that does bother me. I know people can't help it but knowing that still doesn't stop me getting agitated.

Grahzmann
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 May 2016, 10:50 am

Chewing on its own doesn't bother me. Like, it doesn't bother me to hear someone eating chips, for instance. Lip smacking and chewing with the mouth open, on the other hand, are absolutely infuriating.

LittleLu
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 May 2016, 10:58 am

As far as I know I'm no aspie, but the sound of someone chewing on something while talking on the phone drives me crazy. Like nearly batsh** crazy. I hate it so much I've been known to break things out of rage.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2016, 11:44 am

As a child I was the person inflicting chewing sound on others, not the suffererer.

Part of it was having a severely deviated septum ( messed up nose) so it was hard for me to breath, and eat at the same time so I would eat with my mouth open.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2016, 1:44 pm

When I was a kid and a youngster sounds like munching with closed mouth, nose-sounds and a fork against teeth could drive me nuts.

AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2016, 2:55 pm

When I was little, I would always make weird noises while eating, like, "Mm-mm-mm..." It was as if I didn't understand how to eat without doing it. My mom always yelled at me for it, and eventually I managed to stop.

Minionkitty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 May 2016, 3:30 pm

I HATE listening to someone chew. If I'm not also eating, or there's no other noise, it really, really bothers me. Somehow I can survive other noises, like concerts, but I can't stand the noise of someone chewing. It's odd.

ASD/Asperger's Syndrome traits; diagnosed August 2014
IQ 120
(Diagnosed using the DSM-IV, not DSM-5)

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2016, 12:34 am

It's called, 'Misophonia' should anyone feel like searching on it. I've been that way my entire life. It's not crunching for me so much as any of the wet, "internal" sounds someone's mouth and throat make that come out their nose when they chew & swallow, and any open-mouth smacking sounds. Literally drives me into a little, tiny rage that I learned early on is not socially acceptable to display.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2016, 1:48 am

This is something I don't personally pick up on probably because it gets drowned out by all the other sounds or I developed a filter for it. I tune out as much as possible whilst eating and hyper focus on my food.

Ironically in doing so, I am probably usually the one who is a noisy eater. Maybe I can't hear anything above my own slurping and smacking :oops:

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2016, 1:58 am

I can't stand it when I can hear people chew!

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2016, 5:44 am

Yes, I greatly dislike the sound of chewing, whether from someone else or myself. As someone else posted, having the TV on helps.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2016, 6:17 am

I get really angry at this when Im having a bad day. On my good days, I can tolerate it, like many of my triggers. But if things aren't going well and I don't have the strength mentally to hold stuff back, that can make me really angry very quick.

I almost got fired form my current job a few years ago. We worked in a n office that was very small and had no kitchen or break room, so everyone ate lunch at their desks. My supervisor ate nothing but mush all of the time. Literally. And he made the most godawful slopping noises, then the repeated dinging of pushing every morsel down the side of his glass bowl before taking another bite. And it was indian food, which I personally find to be disgusting (sorry if that's offensive, it just grosses me out, then again so does any kind of seafood in case you wanted to claim some kind of bigotry here). One day I flipped out on him about it because he said the sound of my headphones was too loud and irritating. Because I needed to drown him out! So we got into a heated verbal altercation that forced me into concentrating on nothing but keeping my hands at my sides.

Hate those noises. But as a frequent nail biter I'm more guilty than anyone at making them.