I researched but it wasn't obsessive. 15%  15%  [ 9 ]
No 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 61

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2016, 7:40 am

StarTrekker wrote:
Yes, I've been obsessed with autism for the past five years or thereabouts. My knowledge base was so high that my college professor for my abnormal psychology class asked me to teach the unit on ASD's, so I did, and I did it so well that she had me do it for the other sections of her class, and a fellow professor as well. It's been four years now, and I graduated from that school two years ago, and I still get called back every semester to give my lecture.

My obsession with the topic has definitely helped me as far as self-advocacy. My family finally understands me, and respects my autistic behaviour. They don't mind if I can't talk some mornings, and they don't get angry or blame me for my meltdowns. They explain social phenomena to me when I ask, and aren't condescending about it. I'm very lucky that they've been so supportive, but it's entirely down to me that they know as much about autism as they do. I taught them everything they know about it.

That is great!

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

mik9
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 May 2016, 10:22 am

Kind of the only thing I've been doing the last 7 months. Especially after I got dx'ed a few months ago.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2016, 4:16 pm

Yes, I need to learn all I can about it to resolve all the contradictions.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

B19
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 May 2016, 12:14 am

I did want to, and do want to, know as much as possible and try to monitor the research claims closely. From a fairly early stage of doing so I realised how politicised the narratives were, whose interests dominated and the questions of how and why that domination occurred.

The dominant myths are very entrenched, and the failure of discourse between various institutions and specialities opens up room for groups like Autism Speaks to manipulate those gaps to suit political agendas in the guise of 'serving' the cause of people on the spectrum. I think it's fair to say that I am somewhat obsessed with the manipulation and hidden agendas which drive and fund a lot of the research, the shonky claims that get huge and acritical publicity with the effect that often faux/unproven claims are manufactured into instant facts, and how research is used sometimes as a political weapon against the needs and interests of people on the spectrum.

The current situation is a bearpit of competing interests and this is an ongoing source of sadness and frustration to me.
People who share my view that autism narratives and discourses to be shifted and reframed may also find this link interesting: http://sites.uci.edu/transscripts/files ... _04_04.pdf

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2016, 1:09 am

No, I was five years old so it didn't seem particularly interesting.

Kiprobalhato
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

25 May 2016, 2:29 am

there was a time, shortly after i uncovered the documents of my 2001 diagnosis, where i wanted to discover everything there was to my newfound label and so i pestered my school psychologist about autism, what it was, who it was, why it was and why i had it.

i scribbled all over the documents with my notes and thoughts. that was in 2009‐2010, middle school.

now i hardly think about it. but back then i guess it was great to have another (shameful) cop‐out for my own self perceived inadequacy.

JE SUIS UN HOMME

not currently a moderator.

Rundownshoe14
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 May 2016, 7:12 am

@AspieUtah
I can't do the screenings (unless you meant quizzes which I've already done) and the books,I'll try to find one.
Though I don't feel the need to pursue a diagnosis since I'm doing well in school and my all around life.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2016, 9:17 am

Yes right before and after Diagnosis.
Reading on line, checking out and reading multiple books.

Last month I skimmed Life in a different key.
I brought it back to the library before I finished and due date. Reason it was to heavy.
Heavy in weight not subject matter. 8)

SameStars
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2016, 12:12 am

Not obsessed, but I had an intense interest in the subject.