Page 3 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2016, 12:25 pm

I love fantasy novels! :D

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2016, 1:50 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
underwater wrote:
Don't quite a lot of articles on autism in women mention that autistic girls are particularly likely to read a lot of fiction and create imaginary worlds?

Among the population as a whole, women read a lot more books than men. This could be one of those diagnostic questions that keep women from getting a diagnosis, meaning that the tests identify an extreme version of male behavior and call it an autistic trait - which it could be, but it doesn't have to.

I'm not saying that this applies to all males, which is obvious from the above replies.

The funny thing is how the diagnosticians are so unsure of what autism is that they take every trait literally :D

I say that it's false autism is having 'the extreme male brain,' an outdated idea perhaps....at least that is what I dismiss it as.

Well, I'm no expert, but I agree with you :D It seems unrealistic, one of those self-fulfilling prophecies - if autistics can't be feminine, no wonder they can't find any feminine autistics.

passionatebach
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 May 2016, 7:40 pm

I do read some on occasion. I love fiction that is set in the American Midwest. Some of my favorite authors include Marilynne Robinson, Garrison Keillor, Kent Haruf and Jane Smiley.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2016, 8:14 pm

I have very very VERY poor reading comprehension.

I have read a few fiction books, such as goosebumps, milkweed, Judy moody, speak, the shining, and the lovely bones but I couldn't understand them. It's like I could read every individual word or sentence but I couldn't get a story out of it.

People have read fiction to me and I liked it, charlottes web, the outsiders, staying fat for Sarah burns, a Christmas carol

The ONLY book I could read and understand that had no pictures was Perks Of Being a wallflower and it caused severe and ongoing panic attacks for some reason.

I prefer picture books, like captain underpants lol.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2016, 8:28 pm

obsessingoverobsessions wrote:
I've noticed it says on a few autism tests "doesn't read fiction" or something like that, but I read fiction (and get obsessed over book series). I still read more fact based information than stories though.
Do you read fiction, and how much do you read (both fiction and non-fiction)?

Aside from technical literature I read for work, everything else I read is fiction. Whether it was Jules Verne, Erich Maria Remarque, or J. R. R. Tolkien I read in pre-teens and early teens, or William Gibson and Philip K. Dick I read now, it's all fiction.

I took a 10 year hiatus from reading aside from technical and academic literature and recently started reading again for fun. I wanted to exhaustively explore one genre or theme so I would be well versed in it. I picked cyberpunk.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2016, 11:00 pm

underwater wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
underwater wrote:
Don't quite a lot of articles on autism in women mention that autistic girls are particularly likely to read a lot of fiction and create imaginary worlds?

Among the population as a whole, women read a lot more books than men. This could be one of those diagnostic questions that keep women from getting a diagnosis, meaning that the tests identify an extreme version of male behavior and call it an autistic trait - which it could be, but it doesn't have to.

I'm not saying that this applies to all males, which is obvious from the above replies.

The funny thing is how the diagnosticians are so unsure of what autism is that they take every trait literally :D

I say that it's false autism is having 'the extreme male brain,' an outdated idea perhaps....at least that is what I dismiss it as.

Well, I'm no expert, but I agree with you :D It seems unrealistic, one of those self-fulfilling prophecies - if autistics can't be feminine, no wonder they can't find any feminine autistics.

Well some people apparently didn't get the memo that there couldn't be feminine autistics, and others just pretended the feminine traits in some didn't exist, and no some feminine autistics have been found. :P

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Wave Tossed
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 May 2016, 12:18 am

I read lots of fiction books. I especially like legal or psychological thrillers. I just discovered an author, Keith Ablow, who is a forensic psychiatrist. So now I'm reading "Compulsion" which is about a murder of a young infant. I love John Grisham, Lisa Scotoline, and others. I also love fantasy books. I not only read fiction but I write it as well. Ive written a novel, "Snow Tiger" which is a Japanese historical, set in the late 19th century. It contains a bit of fantasy. Shameless plug: it's available on Amazon.com

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2016, 12:45 am

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
I have read a few fiction books, such as goosebumps, milkweed, Judy moody, speak, the shining, and the lovely bones but I couldn't understand them. It's like I could read every individual word or sentence but I couldn't get a story out of it.
I can relate, as that is how textbooks often are for me.
ZombieBrideXD wrote:
You might like Timmy Failure by Stephan Pastis. It doesn't have all that much text and has pictures. I think it's a very funny series.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2016, 3:27 am

ZombieBrideXD wrote:

Is this something for you? http://userdisk.webry.biglobe.ne.jp/004 ... 209465.jpg

It's from "Miss Remarkable and her Career" by Joanna Rubin Dranger. It's perhaps for slightly older people, but the fortunate thing in life is that one does become older :)

She's got a couple of more books that I think are not translated to English yet, but they are very funny, about Miss Remarkable/Miss Scaredy Pants (they are the same neurotic person).

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2016, 5:33 am

ZombieBrideXD wrote:

People have read fiction to me and I liked it, charlottes web

One of my all time favorites!! :heart:

Wreck It Ralph

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2016, 9:46 am

I enjoy reading fiction. I'll read almost anything--realistic fiction, humour, science fiction, fantasy, you name it.

Looking
Raven
Raven

31 May 2016, 3:21 pm

I read fiction as well as non-fiction. My favourite novel writers include Arthur Conan-Doyle, John Grisham and Steig Larsson. I read a bit of factual history books as well.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2016, 5:52 pm

Some more thoughts on this topic are in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=162492&start=15

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2016, 6:31 pm

underwater wrote:
- if autistics can't be feminine, no wonder they can't find any feminine autistics.
LOL! Good one! :D

Wreck It Ralph

B19
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2016, 6:32 pm

Yes, that's a classic of circular 'reasoning' :)

Silverwhistle
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Sep 2016, 5:22 am

Quote:
My vision of Hell would be to have to spend all eternity in a room with nothing but Jane Austen novels.
:mrgreen:

Oh, I agree entirely! Had to suffer Austen twice at school (O and A level) and I'd rather poke my own eyes out with a spoon than read her again.

I prefer immersive fiction that gives me a world I can wander around in: Tolkien's Middle Earth, Hope's Ruritania, Harrison's Viriconium, Martin's Westeros (and adjacent continents), Hardy's Wessex, Hugo's Paris. I'm better at understanding and 'reading' people on paper (as a historian, too, in non-fiction). You know what you're dealing with with written material, and can learn to "read between the lines" without all the distracting face-to-face stuff. And I think one of my all-time favourite Victor Hugo tragic heroes/anti-heroes is about as Aspie as it gets... Who needs 'Mr Darcy' when you could have Claude, who has his own laboratory....?! !! ! :heart: