Anyone else hate those survey people in shopping malls??! !!

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2016, 8:37 am

I do. I wish they'd leave me alone when I'm trying to shop/do my errands.

Today (Saturday) I was in the town, and Christ it was busy. I had a list of things to do and was feeling overwhelmed. I was thinking really hard whilst battling my way through hectic people, when one of those irritating survey people wanted to stop me to ask me a bunch of questions or try to sell me something. I know how forceful they can be, and because I was feeling stressed, I shook my head as I walked by. Then the man said to some people coming "I hope you're polite..." which made me feel bad because generally I am a polite person. I wish people weren't so tactless. I mean, not everybody's got the time or the patience.

I hate those stupid survey/salespeople. Why don't they just get real jobs and stop bugging people??

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2016, 8:59 am

I actually like doing the surveys.
I like giving my opinion.
Once they gave me $10 or so for answering their questions.
Sometimes they don't let me take the survey
because I have a relative who works part time in advertising.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2016, 11:54 am

Quote:
I hate those stupid survey/salespeople. Why don't they just get real jobs and stop bugging people??

Sometimes it's the only job they can find?

Sometimes it's better to work at a crappy job than not have one at all so you will apply any job out there you can find.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2016, 12:22 pm

It's ok, I'm in a job that I'm only in because I can't find anything else (I clean toilets for a living).

But I hear Aspies here complaining about those sales/surveyer people in threads about public places, then when I write a thread about it I feel I have now written something bad.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2016, 12:48 pm

Joe, next time you have to give someone a brush-off, smile at them warmly while doing so.

They will be brushed off, but they won't feel so bad about it, and neither will you.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2016, 12:55 pm

Joe90 wrote:
It's ok, I'm in a job that I'm only in because I can't find anything else (I clean toilets for a living).

But I hear Aspies here complaining about those sales/surveyer people in threads about public places, then when I write a thread about it I feel I have now written something bad.

You asked why don't they get a real job and stop bugging people. You just said you can't find anything else so you are i the job you are in, so I don't know why you asked that then since it's obvious you know the answer.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2016, 1:17 pm

In my whole life I've never once been approached by those people. Guess I don't look very friendly or approachable :)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2016, 1:43 pm

Didn't think I looked very friendly and approachable, as usually people do look at me awkwardly as if they aren't sure if I'm going to speak or not but they will say hi to other strangers (I'm talking about quieter areas, not busy towns obviously).

But people always take the NT's side. I mean, if I was a salesperson trying to stop random people for questions and answers, and a person was a little rude and I got offended, I would be told not to take it personally, and that maybe that person was having a bad day.
I was having a bad day. I'm having a hard time if anything, as my mum has been diagnosed with cancer. Plus I don't like crowds, I get anxious and just want to get away as quick as I can, and so just felt annoyed at the time.
I'm not normally rude, I am actually polite by nature, but lately I am emotionally fragile, so excuse me if I say things what don't make sense.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2016, 1:48 pm

Not really, they give me money to take surveys/give opinions....I once got 80 dollars for testing different chewing gum and giving my opinion. I can see being irritated about it though if you're really busy and just don't have the time.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2016, 2:17 pm

You know something is fishy about it whenever someone pushes it in your face and guilt trips you into submitting to it.

This goes with anything, not just surveys.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2016, 4:09 pm

Well not all surveyers are paid workers. I have heard of some people doing it as part of some cult or club they belong to, and those are the people who I was refering to when I said about bugging people.

But whatever reason they're doing it for, it still annoys me when they keep trying to stop me. Every time I walk by one, they start wanting my attention. It's just as annoying as getting phonecalls from salespeople.

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jun 2016, 7:55 pm

I usually try and pretend I don't see them, or I just say 'No thanks'.

You may have annoyed them by ignoring them, but remember, they annoyed you too. Remember that, and hopefully things will seem a bit more even.

Dawn Crow
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jun 2016, 8:16 pm

I noticed the strangest thing.

The survey/sales people rarely bother you if you wear a beanie. I had a bad haircut so I bought a beanie to wear until it grew back, and suddenly almost none of those people bothered me. The difference was like night and day. They talked to me, and now they didn't.

It didn't matter what I wore, so long as I had the beanie they ignored me most of the time. What the hell?

Edit:
Another observation.

They seek out people who obviously try to avoid them. Why? I think it's because they feel in a position of power. You are the one avoiding them and trying to 'hide' in a sense. What about people that walk straight past? They still bother them, but it's less common and they are far less persistent.

In other words, they can smell fear. D:

Last edited by Dawn Crow on 04 Jun 2016, 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

crazybunnylady
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jun 2016, 8:17 pm

Not as bad as chuggers (charity muggers) they are the worst. They had them in Leeds train station not long ago, interrupting people running for their trains. Anyone who stops me in the street can die as far as I'm concerned. Saturday shopping? Bad idea. Internet shop all the way :)

Diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome 15/06/2016

gingerpickles
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2016, 8:49 pm

I like taking surveys if I have time, sometimes they lead to mini job in research (I got a 4 week dog taste testing pet food. ... now you know. On cracker like pate. Made like stew or less hard version of their biscuits (minus bone meal grit)

I have also been one of those people (we were about testing pickle taste preference for Libbys) and for an hour time they could get 10 bucks (1983) or a gift card from Sear, Exxon, or ChiCHis (restaurant) for 50. We got paid at ned of survey (meanig after the required number had participated. Quicker we get it done the more /hour we made.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2016, 5:17 am

crazybunnylady wrote:
Not as bad as chuggers (charity muggers) they are the worst. They had them in Leeds train station not long ago, interrupting people running for their trains. Anyone who stops me in the street can die as far as I'm concerned. Saturday shopping? Bad idea. Internet shop all the way :)

Interrupting people as in blocking their path?