Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

PeachCastella
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Jun 2016, 12:19 pm

nonverbal learning disorder... nowhere does it say its a form of autism... is it? aspergeres is more severe, i don't have aspergers or nld but curious because nld is a rare disorder, is it? :heart: what is it like and its differences versus aspergers? like nld =no hand flapping or stimming?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 1:35 pm

NLD, or NVLD (Non-Verbal Learning Disability) is not on the Autistic Spectrum by itself.

But it seems as if many people who are on the Spectrum, especially those on the Asperger's end of it, have many of the symptoms of NVLD.

frag
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 5:29 pm

NVLD really puzzles me. In some senses it seems opposite to me. First I assumed it must be similar to what I "have", since language and being verbal is the area where I have my strength. It is supposed to affect abstract thinking. I have been told I am a mix of concrete and abstract thinker, but really I'm not sure since I don't understand what abstract thinking is... (Which might make me a concrete thinker LOL.)

Also it is supposed to affect how you see things with your inner eye. I heard people with it don't think in pictures, but I'm not sure if that is correct. Anyway I do think in pictures. Also they have bad results testing their visual-spatial abilities. That is something I tested really good on.

I even had a really good depth perception as a child, even before they say it is matured enough at that age. And a good take on items' speed. I'm not sure that is included in the visual-spatial though.

But like many aspies I am mildly dyspraxic, although I have good fine motor skills. I have excellent balance but in all I am slow at running and quite clumsy and bad at sports.

Socially I'm soso I guess. Awkward enough to be an aspie, have terrible emotional reciprocity (formal is "fine" but weird... still accepted, even sometimes appreciated), quite good at picking up tone of voice (better than facial expression), can hear when people lie by their voice (some at least), picking up sarcasm with ease, have OK turntaking when the other person know how to keep a convo going, when I have to carry the convo I get exhausted... etc.... People with NVLD "should" have social issues just like aspies. So I guess that I have.

Oh, and I am an artist. Can NVLD be artists?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 5:40 pm

One can have NVLD and be an artist. Not all "non-verbal" faculties are affected in NLVD.

I'm sort of a classic case of NVLD. I can barely hammer in a nail, screw in a screw. I can't really follow visual directions. I'm not good in sports--but my real problems lie in things required fine-motor coordination.

On IQ tests, I always did poorer in the Performance Scale than the Verbal Scale. Once, there was a 90/150 ratio between Performance/Verbal.

Alexinwonderland
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Jun 2016, 8:23 pm

I have NVLD, not aspergers and yes I definitely think its on the spectrum as u have a lot of the same traits such as social awkwardness, anxiety, poor motor skills and co ordination.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2016, 10:54 am

No, NLD is not a form of autism but they are similar.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2016, 10:55 am

Alexinwonderland wrote:
I have NVLD, not aspergers and yes I definitely think its on the spectrum as u have a lot of the same traits such as social awkwardness, anxiety, poor motor skills and co ordination.

They are similar but other than not being able to pick up in body language thats where the similarities end. Poor coordination is not a requirement for diagnoses of autism but it is common in the condition.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2016, 10:58 am

Many autistic people actually have excellent coordination. In fact, some of them take extreme risks with their bodies.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2016, 10:59 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Many autistic people actually have excellent coordination. In fact, some of them take extreme risks with their bodies.

Exactly, it vaires from person to person.

spinelli
Toucan
Toucan

18 Jun 2016, 3:50 pm

They can have spectacular athletic coordination but still be lousy at team sports because you have to be able to read the other players.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2016, 3:58 pm

spinelli wrote:
They can have spectacular athletic coordination but still be lousy at team sports because you have to be able to read the other players.

Yes and sometimes the coordination and balance is typical but the awareness of the body is atypical or poor which is common in ASD"

frag
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2016, 5:30 pm

I have a few friends that from how you used to see it, have more autistic than Asperger traits. None of them have issues with motor skills. I have however met autistic kids (sort of passing by), some being extremely agile and some almost acting blind and being very clumsy, like they lacked depth perception.

As for pure aspies, what I at least used to see was most of "us" having at least some problem with motor skills. I am the typical sucking at all sports aspie. :|

frag
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2016, 5:45 pm

This isn't exactly the same but I know someone that has cerebral palsy and "right hemisphere syndrome", whatever that is. Since NVLD is at least seen by some as a right brain thing, I wonder if there is some connection?

She has pretty bad time and space perception. She also has a problem with practically carry some stuff out that needs a set row of actions if the steps are too many. She seems to understand undertones in language but she does not show much affect in expressions or tone of voice. She is quite good at language and maths but when it comes to creative problem solving she doesn't do well. She learns from learning facts rather than learning how to solve things. She has a problem knowing when it is her turn to speak which lead to shyness because she doesn't want to make mistakes. Altogether she isn't really good at social situations. And is a bit nerdy with some favorite topics.

Alexinwonderland

18 Jun 2016, 10:02 pm

Every person with NVLD suffers differently, the same with aspergers but I can tell there definitely is a link there and I wish morr research went into NVLD, hardly any medical professional knows what it is.

Grahzmann
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jun 2016, 12:51 pm

Some people think it is, but it's not officially recognised as such (in fact, it's not officially recognised at all). I don't believe it is, but there are definite similarities, especially with social skills.

GhostsInTheWallpaper
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jun 2016, 9:39 pm

I think the autism spectrum officially needs to have both "social and communication issues" and "repetitive or restricted behaviors and/or sensory issues." Someone with NLD, as far as I understand, may well have the former but not the latter: they would better fall into the "social communication disorder" (SCD) diagnosis, which is controversial, because many people aren't sure SCD can exist without autism, NLD, or a specific language impairment, and thus should not be considered a thing in itself. Some people on the autism spectrum seem to also have NLD, but others are actually quite adept at visual/spatial and kinesthetic tasks, and might even be gifted (or savants) in those areas, like Temple Grandin.

In any case, insofar as these labels are useful for understanding and seeking help, a lot of what helps people on the spectrum get the hang of social stuff would probably also be helpful to someone with NLD who has no repetitive/restricted behaviors or sensory issues.