Prejudice against non-NT people (Aspies and ADHD)

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2016, 10:50 am

think that a lot of people famous people, both old and young, has autism or other mental issue, but those who do something in life accomplished, not talking about it, because unfortunately wile people are prejudiced against people with autism, but not only, many believe that someone is intellectually disabled, it means that he/she is an idiot, but intellectual disability does not mean that someone has a low IQ!! !, for example, one friend of mine from college told me that his one teacher told him the question, "What kind of studies he has should choose on college, "his teacher told him that he should not choose to any university, because such a moron like him is waste the taxpayers' money (higher education in Poland is almost free, paid for by taxes)
This my friend has ADHD and dyslexia, he said that as get a diploma, wishes to send photocopie to his former teacher with a note "that Mr. teacher XYZ can go kiss me ass," I told him it was a bad idea to write these things, but the idea of ​​the letter is not bad :mrgreen:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2016, 12:01 pm

I was once reading a post on Reddit by someone in the raisedbynarcissists sub and someone was writing about their father. He had troubles with reading as a kid due to dyslexia but he had overcome it because he went off to college and got a degree and had some good paying job. Then in the car one day he talked about his disability and his narcissist wife says "If I would have known you were ret*d I wouldn't have married you." 8O

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2016, 1:41 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
but intellectual disability does not mean that someone has a low IQ!!

Actually, in the DSM-5 "Intellectual Disability" is literally the diagnostic term for what used to be called "Mental Retardation" -- i.e. a low IQ score combined with problems in adaptive functioning. "Intellectual disability" may become the new diagnostic term in the ICD-11, too.

But I am guessing that when you say "intellectual disability" you are referring to what I might call "neurological disability" .....meaning any disability that affects some aspect of learning/thinking/brain functions?

I agree that not all neurological disability lowers IQ score or limits academic potential.

I think that the same kind of prejudice exists for people with low IQ scores. IQ doesn't measure everything, and having a low IQ score doesn't mean a person has no potential, no abilities/talents, or that they have no place and nothing to contribute to their community.

Being written off sucks, especially when you're being told you can't do something and shouldn't even try based on ignorance and incorrect assumptions.

Love transcends all.