Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

wblastyn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 7:41 pm

I took an aptitude test for a job I was applying for. I scored above average for Orientation (measured logic and spacial awareness) and Odds/Evens (processing and remembering sequences of numbers), average for Error Detection and Verbal Reasoning, and below average for numerical fluency. This makes sense because I have trouble with mental arithmetic, I can't seem to hold the numbers in my head. I was accurate but slow, as it took me longer to get the right answer.

Do these results seem typical for someone with AS? How can one improve their mental arithmetic?

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2016, 7:47 pm

wblastyn wrote:
I took an aptitude test for a job I was applying for. I scored above average for Orientation (measured logic and spacial awareness) and Odds/Evens (processing and remembering sequences of numbers), average for Error Detection and Verbal Reasoning, and below average for numerical fluency. This makes sense because I have trouble with mental arithmetic, I can't seem to hold the numbers in my head. I was accurate but slow, as it took me longer to get the right answer.

Do these results seem typical for someone with AS? How can one improve their mental arithmetic?

Play math games! There's an app called Mathable that is fun. There is also a website called Luminosity that is specifically meant to help you train your brain. There is a subscription fee for this one. But its nice site. You can also seek out math games made for kids. You are just looking to practice and pick up speed.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2016, 2:11 pm

That fits my profile as well. I was in the 77th percentile overall for mathematics, but my timed addition, subtraction and multiplication subscores were in the 16th, 13th and 19th percentiles respectively. I'm really bad at doing things under time constraints.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!