Page 4 of 17 [ 269 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 17  Next

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 8:01 pm

HighLlama wrote:
They're not totally off topic. If NTs are going to be described as some ambiguous "they," then you're opening the discussion to posts on the opposite point of view.

But, that's just it ... your posts are not opposite to mine. I'm all for learning and gaining perspective. I'm talking about awareness and what is valuable to someone.

HighLlama wrote:
And your original point about socializing isn't totally invalid, but you're stating this on a message board. To socialize. People can be social in different ways, it doesn't have to be all NT versus ND. If you want to see how loved "NT" views are here, just look at how many people here love Criminal Minds, a very superficial show that fits many of the "NT" criticisms here. I think our posts were just saying the division can be a little silly. Not unfounded, just taken to a pointless extreme.

I didn't realize it was a popular show amongst autistic people. It's a bit violent for me, but Spencer is a cutie.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 8:01 pm

I'm going to disagree with the premise of this thread. I don't think we are privy to anything that is not every bit as available to NTs, and I don't think they value all their social behavior as much as a lot of aspies think they do. To go with the Matrix analogy, plenty of NTs take the red pill, plenty of aspies take the blue pill. It comes down to life experience and personality, not neurology.

If anything, I think we might be inclined to see a lot of "NT behavior" (scare quotes required, see above) as useless, vain and superficial when it can actually have a great deal of meaning and beauty. I think there are likely important things we are not able to see, and some of that isn't just personality and experience. Some of it might be hard-wired.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 8:06 pm

androbot01 wrote:
HighLlama wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
You know what I think is interesting is that it's thought that if one is an NT then life is just magical. If that were the case, I would be married with 2.5 kids and a multitude of friends. Reality? I'm a f'n hermit who hates my neighbors, lost most of my friends hasn't had a decent date in years, wasting away with school trying to better myself and depressed as all get out. What to get out of this? Life isn't always greener on the other side. People bug me just as much and some are even Aspie. But I go on with life, live and let live, and just avoid the person (or people) until I can tolerate them again - sometimes that's never, and you know what? It's all good because I know I'm far from perfect so why should I expect perfection from everyone else?

Good post. It's usually pointless to say one life is harder than another. We all have different difficulties, and those who go through extreme hardship often are happier due to having developed better coping skills. Perspective is key.

Neither of these posts is relevant to this thread. Just sayin'.

That sounds like someone who is bitter and doesn't want to hear the truth. I'll tell you the same thing I tell everyone including my own Ma when they complain about their "problems". You need to spend some time around some real sick people and stop focusing on yourself. There is always someone out there with far worse problems than you. All it took for my Ma was seeing someone at the doctor's office who didn't have a leg and had to use a prosthetic. I see people like that all the time at work and those people don't even see themselves as having a problem. I had one patient able to walk down the hall quicker than me. Those are people I admire. I don't know if I could even be that strong. Thank you Jesus that I have my legs.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 8:11 pm

Ban-Dodger wrote:
Understood, that is fine, not a problem, for even other Autists or Aspies misunderstand a lot, too.

Yes, I am most-certainly under a different level-of-thinking, not just outside-the-box, but frequently outside-the-entire-universe kind, plus I have many unique experiences that simply nobody else in the world shares or would be able to relate to either without metaphors (regardless whether they are NTs or ASD). Experiences that I do not really wish to discuss in too much identifying detail, and if you cannot understand some of my replies, that is because I was being vague intentionally. I simply do not wish to be very explicitly detailed for memories that have the potential to induce a re-living of psychosis-inducing traumas.

This is the best that I can do for now to help simplify why you may not understand all of my responses.

nurseangela wrote:
Ban-Dodger wrote:
I would probably be inclined to agree IF the statement is accurate; I am a High-Functioning how-ever.
nurseangela wrote:
Ban-Dodger wrote:
You can't fire the (technically) self-employed who also has retirement-enabling finances from inheritance.
nurseangela wrote:
The consistently late NT needs to be fired. And it sounds like you need your own place by yourself.

I also now currently live by myself by the way. Too much damn work to get done and it would be impossible to do anything if I were under the same roof as an NT who seems to have no clue how to do anything themselves.

The NT should-be-fired-person situation is getting way too complicated. Hire an Aspie.

The second paragraph - no comment because you won't like what I have to say.

Not to be rude, but I don't understand what you say most of the time. It's like you are on a totally different level of thinking than me. I don't understand this post either.

I didn't mean any disrespect by the way. Some people here I just can't understand and some use a lot of big words. I did understand your last response! :mrgreen: Thanks for clarifying.

Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

GhostsInTheWallpaper
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jun 2016, 8:16 pm

jbw wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
So why is what I believe to be insignificant defects (eye contact, verbalization, dexterity) seen as so abhorrent as to warrant behaviour modification and shunning (and at at it's extreme, eugenic removal?)

Ignorance, blindness to cultural bias, impaired ability to distinguish between culture and innate human tendencies, and underdeveloped theory of other minds.

I think it's because most NTs don't realize that the innovation and fact-checking that mainstream culture needs to survive often comes from neurodiverse people and quirky personalities within neurotypicality who rather suck at social niceties like optimism and charm. Love the art, hate the artist, I guess.

jbw
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jun 2016, 8:25 pm

nurseangela wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
HighLlama wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
You know what I think is interesting is that it's thought that if one is an NT then life is just magical. If that were the case, I would be married with 2.5 kids and a multitude of friends. Reality? I'm a f'n hermit who hates my neighbors, lost most of my friends hasn't had a decent date in years, wasting away with school trying to better myself and depressed as all get out. What to get out of this? Life isn't always greener on the other side. People bug me just as much and some are even Aspie. But I go on with life, live and let live, and just avoid the person (or people) until I can tolerate them again - sometimes that's never, and you know what? It's all good because I know I'm far from perfect so why should I expect perfection from everyone else?

Good post. It's usually pointless to say one life is harder than another. We all have different difficulties, and those who go through extreme hardship often are happier due to having developed better coping skills. Perspective is key.

... stop focusing on yourself ...

Here is a big misunderstanding. The focus is all on what we perceive via our senses in the social and non-social environment. We are not thinking about ourselves but about the concrete world in which we all operate.

Just because I am not frantically running around copying behaviours that I see to my left and right does not mean that I am focused on myself.

There are different ways of coping with the world. No one is saying that anyone lives in a perfect world. But perhaps everyone should be allowed to exercise the coping mechanisms that are tailored to the individual cognitive lens and individual sensitivities, especially if these coping mechanisms cause no harm to anyone.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 8:59 pm

nurseangela wrote:
androbot01 wrote:
HighLlama wrote:
nurseangela wrote:

That sounds like someone who is bitter and doesn't want to hear the truth. I'll tell you the same thing I tell everyone including my own Ma when they complain about their "problems". You need to spend some time around some real sick people and stop focusing on yourself. There is always someone out there with far worse problems than you. All it took for my Ma was seeing someone at the doctor's office who didn't have a leg and had to use a prosthetic. I see people like that all the time at work and those people don't even see themselves as having a problem. I had one patient able to walk down the hall quicker than me. Those are people I admire. I don't know if I could even be that strong. Thank you Jesus that I have my legs.

Whoa...and this is even more off topic. What does any of this have to do with the thread? I don't see anyone else trying to turn this into a competition over who has it worse. Just you.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 9:38 pm

GhostsInTheWallpaper wrote:
I think it's because most NTs don't realize that the innovation and fact-checking that mainstream culture needs to survive often comes from neurodiverse people and quirky personalities within neurotypicality who rather suck at social niceties like optimism and charm.

I find that claim a bit dubious...

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 9:57 pm

Yes, I am aware that you do not have malevolent intentions, and you're more "awake" than average.

I do notice, how-ever, that any threads with NT or neuro-typical in the subject tends to draw you into the discussion like a magnet, but I have to tell you that they are not specifically aimed at you. For that matter, each and every time I looked at these threads, not once did you ever come to mind when I read the complaints (I think it's safe enough to say that you can actually disassociate from the average NT group-identity since even I have difficulty in trying to identify you as being the same as the types of NTs whom we have complaints against). I assure you that your name would have specifically been in the thread-title or thread itself if it was about you, but as you are more "awake" than most NTs, you know and have seen for yourself and should be able to confirm that a lot of these issues are common in the NT societies (not saying that Autistics are immune to doing the same or worse because Monkey See Monkey Do phenomenon over-powered, but on average, NTs will "ostracise" others very quickly with dogmatic-prejudice in comparison to the frequency of it happening in ASD-world).

One particular complaint I have is the fact that many of the average NTs will make automatic-assumptions that you are X or Y for some difference in behaviour or mannerisms, even going so far as to libel and slander you before all of their social-circles and entire communities, and not take any effort, what-so-ever, into investigating any truths or double-checking their facts or claims or even attempting to try to understand you; This is actually the BIGGEST complaint that I have about the typical NTs, not saying that ASDs never do the same, but this kind of biased dogmatic-prejudice is quite common in NT-world, although sometimes I think I have to put up some sort of disclaimer that Angela does not fit into this category in my view, just to make sure that she doesn't end up thinking that I was referring to her in any way, due to her "exception" status for also finding NTs to be less favourable company, otherwise she obviously would not hang around here as much as she does, although our social-interactions are going to be different (by this I mean that NT-dialogues are much more frequently surface-level in the sense that it's like exchanging pamplets around with one another, where-as with ASDs, our dialogues are more like a collection of various pamphlets into magazines or even books sometimes, and we dialogue less frequently but also usually quite in-depth into a subject when we're ready to bother with dialogue).

Also, for the record, some of the messiest people I had ever met or come across were people whom I suspected of also being ASD. The differences in the messes made between NTs and ASDs seems to be that NTs are more likely to scatter everything all over the tables and counters (leaving no work-space available to work with due to all of the clutter), whereas with ASDs, they will scatter everything all over the floor until after they've been forced into enough survival-pressure to make them want to become spotless and professional (that is of course assuming that they do not kill themselves first from being suicidal due to all of the necessary survival-pressure). I have much more I could write or say on these subjects but, before I end this post, I will just say that, when I dialogue with an NT for any kind of continued basis where we communicate with one another regularly, I will usually have a lot for them to read/hear in comparison to how much the NT will have to say in response (although they seem to enjoy my dialogue if I bother to take the time to let an NT be part of my communications/correspondences).

nurseangela wrote:
Ban-Dodger wrote:
Understood, that is fine, not a problem, for even other Autists or Aspies misunderstand a lot, too.

Yes, I am most-certainly under a different level-of-thinking, not just outside-the-box, but frequently outside-the-entire-universe kind, plus I have many unique experiences that simply nobody else in the world shares or would be able to relate to either without metaphors (regardless whether they are NTs or ASD). Experiences that I do not really wish to discuss in too much identifying detail, and if you cannot understand some of my replies, that is because I was being vague intentionally. I simply do not wish to be very explicitly detailed for memories that have the potential to induce a re-living of psychosis-inducing traumas.

This is the best that I can do for now to help simplify why you may not understand all of my responses.

nurseangela wrote:
Ban-Dodger wrote:
I would probably be inclined to agree IF the statement is accurate; I am a High-Functioning how-ever.
nurseangela wrote:
Ban-Dodger wrote:
You can't fire the (technically) self-employed who also has retirement-enabling finances from inheritance.
nurseangela wrote:
The consistently late NT needs to be fired. And it sounds like you need your own place by yourself.

I also now currently live by myself by the way. Too much damn work to get done and it would be impossible to do anything if I were under the same roof as an NT who seems to have no clue how to do anything themselves.

The NT should-be-fired-person situation is getting way too complicated. Hire an Aspie.

Not to be rude, but I don't understand what you say most of the time. It's like you are on a totally different level of thinking than me. I don't understand this post either.

I didn't mean any disrespect by the way. Some people here I just can't understand and some use a lot of big words. I did understand your last response! :mrgreen: Thanks for clarifying.

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 10:15 pm

androbot01 wrote:
DataB4 wrote:
Haven't you ever felt helpless to change a dysfunctional system or environment, and then went on with your own life and interests? It can be a shared illusion, and it can also be a coping strategy to move on to other, often immediate, concerns while feeling helpless.

I am unable to go on with my life. The dysfunction is overwhelming. And the shared illusion not believable.

I’m sorry. I don’t follow for some reason. I get that all of this is majorly depressing and frustrating. The part I don’t get is how you say you don’t go on with your life because you must have. If you dwelled on every example of human dysfunction you came across, you would never have done anything. It might be an illusion of going on, but it’s still going on with your life, no?

Take the dysfunctions you mentioned here:
“I feel like I can see all the ugliness that they are able to dismiss. A concrete world where children and the elderly are warehoused so the workers can busy themselves, spirituality fulfilled with products and brand affiliation. Empty salutations, selfishness and broken promises.”

I imagine you must have gone on and did things: called people out on broken promises, left a nursing home after visiting someone, passed by myriad people with way too much brand affiliation, ignored or responded to meaningless greetings, ETC. Either you changed something or you didn’t, and you had to go on, right? Wrong? You’re still thinking about it today, but you did go on, no? I’m so confused. Aren’t other people going on the same way?

Of course, I’m not condoning the people who are creating these dysfunctions in the first place: the status seekers, the government officials who don’t fund community supports, people who don’t keep their promises, ETC. As for empty greetings, they just keep the peace sometimes and don’t really have any other function/dysfunction that I know of, except maybe to show that you recognize someone, do they?

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 10:16 pm

You can't have it both ways, Ban-dodger. If people are going to make sweeping generalizations about NTs, it's not reasonable to expect that Angela wouldn't show up. It is about her, by default.

Note that these sorts of threads rarely say "some NTs" or "most NTs". It's almost always just "NTs".

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 10:23 pm

The deal here is that I know what the OPs meant to say.
It's kind of like when an outsider asks an insider whether he does Kung Fu or Tai Chi;
Well, Tai Chi is a Kung Fu, when what they really mean is in the context of Hard vs Soft-Style.

AJisHere wrote:
You can't have it both ways, Ban-dodger. If people are going to make sweeping generalizations about NTs, it's not reasonable to expect that Angela wouldn't show up. It is about her, by default.

Note that these sorts of threads rarely say "some NTs" or "most NTs". It's almost always just "NTs".

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 10:29 pm

AJisHere wrote:

Fair enough if people want to address what is being discussed. But nurseangela is going off on a tangent about things that aren't relevant to this discussion. I guess she is upset about things that have been said in other discussions and then bringing it here. It's not reasonable for her to derail the thread to complain about things that are off topic and then attack the OP's character for saying it is off topic.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 10:55 pm

dianthus wrote:
AJisHere wrote:

Fair enough if people want to address what is being discussed. But nurseangela is going off on a tangent about things that aren't relevant to this discussion. I guess she is upset about things that have been said in other discussions and then bringing it here. It's not reasonable for her to derail the thread to complain about things that are off topic and then attack the OP's character for saying it is off topic.

I don't think I derailed the thread at all. All it is another thread b******g about NT's again. I don't see how you guys even carry on with your lives being upset about NT's all the time. It's really beyond me. I think that is what probably takes up most of your energy to be honest.

Darn, I flunked.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 11:06 pm

Ban-Dodger wrote:
Yes, I am aware that you do not have malevolent intentions, and you're more "awake" than average.

I do notice, how-ever, that any threads with NT or neuro-typical in the subject tends to draw you into the discussion like a magnet, but I have to tell you that they are not specifically aimed at you. For that matter, each and every time I looked at these threads, not once did you ever come to mind when I read the complaints (I think it's safe enough to say that you can actually disassociate from the average NT group-identity since even I have difficulty in trying to identify you as being the same as the types of NTs whom we have complaints against). I assure you that your name would have specifically been in the thread-title or thread itself if it was about you, but as you are more "awake" than most NTs, you know and have seen for yourself and should be able to confirm that a lot of these issues are common in the NT societies (not saying that Autistics are immune to doing the same or worse because Monkey See Monkey Do phenomenon over-powered, but on average, NTs will "ostracise" others very quickly with dogmatic-prejudice in comparison to the frequency of it happening in ASD-world).

One particular complaint I have is the fact that many of the average NTs will make automatic-assumptions that you are X or Y for some difference in behaviour or mannerisms, even going so far as to libel and slander you before all of their social-circles and entire communities, and not take any effort, what-so-ever, into investigating any truths or double-checking their facts or claims or even attempting to try to understand you; This is actually the BIGGEST complaint that I have about the typical NTs, not saying that ASDs never do the same, but this kind of biased dogmatic-prejudice is quite common in NT-world, although sometimes I think I have to put up some sort of disclaimer that Angela does not fit into this category in my view, just to make sure that she doesn't end up thinking that I was referring to her in any way, due to her "exception" status for also finding NTs to be less favourable company, otherwise she obviously would not hang around here as much as she does, although our social-interactions are going to be different (by this I mean that NT-dialogues are much more frequently surface-level in the sense that it's like exchanging pamplets around with one another, where-as with ASDs, our dialogues are more like a collection of various pamphlets into magazines or even books sometimes, and we dialogue less frequently but also usually quite in-depth into a subject when we're ready to bother with dialogue).

Also, for the record, some of the messiest people I had ever met or come across were people whom I suspected of also being ASD. The differences in the messes made between NTs and ASDs seems to be that NTs are more likely to scatter everything all over the tables and counters (leaving no work-space available to work with due to all of the clutter), whereas with ASDs, they will scatter everything all over the floor until after they've been forced into enough survival-pressure to make them want to become spotless and professional (that is of course assuming that they do not kill themselves first from being suicidal due to all of the necessary survival-pressure). I have much more I could write or say on these subjects but, before I end this post, I will just say that, when I dialogue with an NT for any kind of continued basis where we communicate with one another regularly, I will usually have a lot for them to read/hear in comparison to how much the NT will have to say in response (although they seem to enjoy my dialogue if I bother to take the time to let an NT be part of my communications/correspondences).

nurseangela wrote:
Ban-Dodger wrote:

nurseangela wrote:
Ban-Dodger wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
Ban-Dodger wrote:
nurseangela wrote:

"also finding NTs to be less favourable company, otherwise she obviously would not hang around here as much as she does,"

Yes, you are right when you say that. The NT's I come in contact with can be asses. However, there are some Aspies here that are that way and that is why I ended up leaving for a week. There are two guys at work who also think they are Aspies, but I treat them the same as I do everyone else. If they piss me off, I stay away until I can tolerate them again. I don't see them as Aspies. I don't like people being categorized as NT and Aspies and then that is how they are seen and thought of. Everyone is their own person. How is separating the two not the same as racism - its groupism.

Darn, I flunked.

jkrane
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 11:09 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:
I'm NT, but I became aware of this "real world" you're talking about only when I started studying sociology. I learned how to observe social interactions and how people stand and react to the social world that they perceive. It was kind of like swallowing the Matrix pill. It's made it hard for me to forget how artificial many neurotypical things are. I sometimes find myself forgetting to say and do the right things around other neurotypicals.

The thing is that neurotypicals do not care whether or not anyone can see that the NT has no clothes on, as long as everyone acts as though he does.

Ahh...the matrix pill...red...came as a large, jagged suppository for me.