Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

katelynmakenzie86
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Jun 2016, 9:15 am

I'm really a stickler for change. I will freak out and have the worst meltdowns if things get changed, and especially last notice. So I get a phone call Monday for "my orthopedic" telling me that they're not going to see me Tuesday unless I bring money into the appointment. Well, I only work part time, I don't make a whole lot of money, and I don't get paid til Friday. I went to the office, because it's just down the street from my work, and I just had a total meltdown over the whole thing. Well, after everything was said and done, I had agreed to bring $25 on Friday to see them Friday. Well, then yesterday I get a phone call from the orthopedic office, and now the doctor is refusing to see me at all, because the lady at the front desk said I was "YELLING" at her. I don't remember yelling at her, and I vaguely remember the meltdown. I do remember telling them I was Autistic, and I do freak out over little things like that, and I know when you first come in the office, they ask for all your medical history.

Can they legally tell me they won't see me anymore if I had a meltdown?

I was suppose to go see this doctor again about possibly getting surgery done on my ankle, because I have a torn ligament, and have been in and out with doctors over this for the past 3 years. I have seen things on line that say if it's something that can get worse over time without treatment, they're not suppose to refuse to see you, and this is something that just keeps getting worse and worse, and I don't know what to do anymore.

I don't have anyone I can really ask for help here, because I don't have any family I can ask, and the few friends I have are too far from me in other states.

katelynmakenzie86
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Jun 2016, 9:18 am

Oh, and I also keep getting told he is the "only" one in my city that can do the surgery. :cry: :cry:

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 9:32 am

Yes. They can discharge you from the practice after something like 30 days but they have to tell you someone else you can go to. What may be unreasonable for you, driving wise, may not be officially unreasonable.

While I was pregnant, my husband (who is an aspie and doesn't like mail) didn't open a bill from my PCP so I owed him something like 30 bucks and didn't know it. He discharged me and I had to scramble to find a new PCP. They can get mad over any stupid thing and get rid of you.

You should call the office and ask to speak to that lady. Tell her you feel terrible that you raised your voice at her. Tell her that you're autistic and have trouble modulating the volume of your voice. You had no idea you were speaking loudly. You feel terrible. (eye roll) Ask if she will accept your apology. Then say thanks and good day.

Call a couple days later and reschedule, agree to pay what you can.

katelynmakenzie86
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Jun 2016, 9:38 am

I unfortunately do not have a car nor a license, nor do I have anyone that can take me to another state that is over 45 minute car ride to see a different doctor. And there being no other doctors her in this city or the two cities that I can take a bus to, I don't know what to do. :/

katelynmakenzie86
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Jun 2016, 9:41 am

I also told her at the front before I went and talked to someone else and before I left that I have Autism and I get anxious with this stuff. So I feel hurt they didn't even listen to me. I was only recently diagnosed, and I am still learning about triggers and coping skills to deal with stuff like this.

My family is of no help and they just tell me things like "Grow up" and "you're just be rebellious" or that I'm the spawn of the devil. They also live on the other side of the country anyway though too.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 10:45 am

"You're the spawn of the devil"??? Who says that?? That's like something 12 year olds say to each other during an argument.

The front desk people may have had more sympathy than it seemed. I think those people sometimes just enjoy looking brash. To intimidate people I guess. Keep the clients in line.

LittleLu
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jun 2016, 10:56 am

I feel ya. I've had outbursts like that. Nowadays I bring my wife in with me to appointments most of the time so that I can fully understand and cope with what they're trying to tell me. Most of my appointments are done with only half my thoughts on them because I don't usually know what they're saying to me. And if I get flustered or frustrated with their news, my wife will step in and speak for me so that I don't yell or cry at them. If you have anybody close to you who wouldn't mind accompanying you to an appointment, I'd strongly recommend it. There's nothing better than an autistic having some moral and emotional support to back them up, imo.

katelynmakenzie86
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jun 2016, 11:25 am

SocOfAutism wrote:
"You're the spawn of the devil"??? Who says that?? That's like something 12 year olds say to each other during an argument.

The front desk people may have had more sympathy than it seemed. I think those people sometimes just enjoy looking brash. To intimidate people I guess. Keep the clients in line.

My dad is the one the always called me the spawn of the devil. He still does.

I honestly don't know. I managed to find another office that was close and the front desk people there were super nice. I also told them I do have Autism, and I can get overwhelmed sometimes. And she just said, as long as you're not violent, we can deal with the screaming or crying, and she even put a note in my chart for me.

katelynmakenzie86
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jun 2016, 11:27 am

LittleLu wrote:
I feel ya. I've had outbursts like that. Nowadays I bring my wife in with me to appointments most of the time so that I can fully understand and cope with what they're trying to tell me. Most of my appointments are done with only half my thoughts on them because I don't usually know what they're saying to me. And if I get flustered or frustrated with their news, my wife will step in and speak for me so that I don't yell or cry at them. If you have anybody close to you who wouldn't mind accompanying you to an appointment, I'd strongly recommend it. There's nothing better than an autistic having some moral and emotional support to back them up, imo.

I don't have a lot of people that are off when I'm at my doctor appointments. My counselor is trying to help in get me more support system for this type of thing though, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed in hopes all goes well with that. I get really overwhelmed with doctor visits and hospitals visits.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 7:07 am

Since you have a counselor, it might help to have that person to make a quick call on your behalf explaining your situation in the future. I think it would help to show you have an advocate. I think a doctor office and the like are less likely to treat you badly or dismiss you, if they know you have someone in your corner looking out for you.

katelynmakenzie86
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Jun 2016, 10:44 am

EzraS wrote:
Since you have a counselor, it might help to have that person to make a quick call on your behalf explaining your situation in the future. I think it would help to show you have an advocate. I think a doctor office and the like are less likely to treat you badly or dismiss you, if they know you have someone in your corner looking out for you.

Never thought of that.

Now what about meltdowns at work. I had one on Tuesday, and I feel aggravated, because my two supervisors know and HR knows. I really hate when I also get hounded questions and I keep saying, "I don't know", because I don't know or I don't know how to answer them, and they still keep hounding me with the same questions as if I'm going to suddenly be able to give them an answer. I sometimes feel like they're trying to get me to say what they want me to say.

And then I really hate when people at work come to me and tell me, "Stop doing that" or "you need to calm down" or "you need to grow up". This just sets me off even more, and then later, I don't remember anything.

I apparently yelled at someone on Tuesday, and when I was asked about it my higher up manager, I told her "I don't remember". Well, she was like, "It doesn't matter if you remember or not." And I'm just like.... AGH! Because I don't know what to do at that point, and that makes me want to scream.