Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

mysterious_misfit
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Sep 2008, 10:16 am

Help! My senses have been going crazy lately. I need some sensory therapy, but I just don't know anything about it. What can I do to re-set my senses?

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2008, 10:17 am

Hate to be negative, but I too am an adult with severe SID. It is SOOO hard to get any help past your 18th in the UK and I have been offered nothing. My hearing is so oversensitive it feels like my brain might explode... I would be interested to know from others who have had better experiences too.

jstjude
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Sep 2008, 2:44 pm

Sensory overload is a horrible experience. While there is NO ONE thing i can do there are several MANY things i can do that help. Here are a few:

1- Ear Plugs are my friend!
2- Sun Glasses
3- Warm bath
4- Meditative music LOW has to be calm and LOW for me
5- Hiding in bed under my pillows and blankets
6- Sleep
7- Anti anxiety Medication
8- Darkness and Quiet
9- Rocking

When it's bad I do ALL and EVERYTHING that helps. The longer my list the more help i have to get out of it. When my senses calm down i can face the world again just a little better. I suggest you find your own list... feel free to borrow some or all of my helpers and add more to them that suit you best. We are all different and what calms me might not help you and visa versa. I hope more people add the things they do and we will all have a bigger list. ;)

Sorry I don't know about any "Sensory Therapy" although I remain open to the possiblity that someone else does as should you. For me my therpist has helped me by teaching me to cope with what is since there might be a chance i can not fix this, just deal with it better.

The book "Nobody Nowhere" and "Somebody Somewhere" and others by Donna Williams have helped me tremendously. She speaks about her experience with Sensory overload and what works to help her. There are more books she has written that might have even more answers... I just haven't read them YET, but on to the next of the autobiographical series of four.

jstjude
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Jun 2016, 6:51 am

It has been a while since I posted on this. I now am in Occupational therapy for the treatment of Sensory processing disorder. Or sensory integration therapy. Ask for a referral to occupational therapy. When you're shopping for occupational therapist ask them if they have any experience with sensory integration. I find the most effective grounding techniques for what you are describing our proprioceptive and You could put weighted pressure on your body. The simple act of laying on the ground on your stomach can give you some sensory input. Carrying a heavy bag on your lap or shoulders or doing physical exercise are also ways to alleviate the sensory overload and allow you to organize your brain and ground yourself.

So the therapist you need to look for is an Occupational therapist and the therapy you need to look for his sensory integration therapy. If you can't find it go online learn about it look it up and do some things that can help. Of course have an occupational therapist helping you with sensory integration is ideal but if you can't get one for some reason there are other things you can do.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2016, 9:08 am

Curious to you live in the states, and who is footing the bill for OT?

We can find absolutely NOBODY who does OT sensory integration therapy for adults, who was not a previous client and under 21.

I live in a huge metropolitan area. We could find no one who takes over 21 of age when diagnosed as an adult. It is all geared toward children. The one therapist I thought we had up and move to the east coast.

Some asked if my husband was a previous client, or did we have a child in their program.

If they were saw our kid, they "would try and work something out for my huband."

Anyway...it would be all private pay at the tune of $200/session.

I live in the midwest. You guys on the coasts and UK are lucky. At least you have a shot at services.