POLL: Do you believe that Alan Turing was autistic?

Page 2 of 7 [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

POLL: Do you believe that Alan Turing was autistic?
Yes 28%  28%  [ 10 ]
Likely 36%  36%  [ 13 ]
Maybe 22%  22%  [ 8 ]
Not Likely 8%  8%  [ 3 ]
No 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 36

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 1:13 am

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
I have no idea who he was but he shares a birthday with sonic the hedgehogs anniversary

He's an early computer scientist. He's most famous for helping crack the enigma machine, which helped win WWII. He also came up with the concept of the Turing machine, a universal computer (meaning it can compute anything a computer with unlimited memory could compute), and related research on that.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 1:20 am

It's a crying shame how they treated Alan Turing after all he did.

One good thing that Benedict Cumberbatch has done is to insist on Turing's humanity. I do understand the resistance; the urge to define every nerdy person as autistic is often a tactic to define great minds as "not really human". Then people can happily go on feeling superior.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 7:08 am

redrobin62 wrote:
...He rode 60 miles to get to school, staying over night at an inn. I rode 100 miles on my bike "escaping" from NYC to upstate NY. It took me two days.

Hehe. I admire anybody who can do that!

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 6:17 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
This essay was well written. AspieUtah, you've created a compelling case for Brother Turing. You know, reading this essay, it was as if you were writing about Glenn Gould. Their eccentric personalities seem almost identical....

Thank you. I hadn't known who Glenn Gould was until I spent much of today learning about him. What an amazing musician! Thanks for mentioning him.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 5:58 pm

As I wrote the OP, I was originally interested in the reasons others might have to consider that Turing wasn't autistic (other than his lack of a diagnosis, of course). So, if I was wrong to advance too soon to a conclusion of autism, what evidence did I fail to consider in his lack of autism?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 6:19 pm

There's no harm in speculation.

There's only harm if you go too far with it--that you believe your hypothesis cannot be disputed, and that anything running counter to it is wrong.

Saying this: I believe it is plausible that Mr. Turing was somewhere on the Spectrum, most likely on the Asperger's end of it.

I wouldn't go in front of a jury, though, and say that Mr. Turing was "definitely autistic."

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 6:33 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
There's no harm in speculation.

There's only harm if you go too far with it--that you believe your hypothesis cannot be disputed, and that anything running counter to it is wrong.

Saying this: I believe it is plausible that Mr. Turing was somewhere on the Spectrum, most likely on the Asperger's end of it.

I wouldn't go in front of a jury, though, and say that Mr. Turing was "definitely autistic."

Me, too. It isn't that I want this topic to become a debate, but I expected some contrary evidence or suggestions. Maybe the OP was too long, and many of 420 viewers on WrongPlanet.net didn't want to wade into it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 6:43 pm

Your OP was long because you wanted to present evidence (anecdotal, admittedly) from various sources, which is what one does when one is compiling a research paper.

People on WP tend to want a "research paper" level of proof when one presents an hypothesis--thus, the need for the long OP.

Frankly, it's impossible to present anything other than anecdotal evidence in the absence of any actual clinical diagnosis of autism (which was not an entity, in its present form, until Kanner's article came out when Turing was far into his adulthood). People weren't usually assessed for autism anywhere until after the end of World War 2. And people were very rarely assessed AS ADULTS until at least 1994, when the DSM IV came out.

A "retrospective diagnosis" is okay, to me, if it is not presented as a conclusive diagnosis. Rather, it is presented as an item of speculation, of subjective inquiry.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 6:47 pm

I saw the film, read the biography it was based on, and have read many accounts from people who knew Alan Turing. His brother (who was NT) probably had the best seat to really know what his sibling was like:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/the-nort ... ring-geeks

My own view is that Alan Turing was definitely on a particular branch of the Asperger's Syndrome tree, no doubt at all. I see it as a tree with many differently shaped branches. AT was a profound exemplar, a brilliant leaf on the genius branch, from my perspective.

Tony Attwood considers AT to have been on the spectrum too. (How can two such great minds be wrong!! lol :mrgreen: )

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 6:50 pm

I just wanted to collect all the evidence into one description. While Turing has been diagnosed retrospectively, of course, I was suprised that, apart from the diagnoses, most references were scant and lacking much description. He deserves a little more care in his biographical references, for and against the idea of autism.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 6:53 pm

B19 wrote:
I saw the film, read the biography it was based on, and have read many accounts from people who knew Alan Turing. His brother (who was NT) probably had the best seat to really know what his sibling was like:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/the-nort ... ring-geeks

My own view is that Alan Turing was definitely on a particular branch of the Asperger's Syndrome tree, no doubt at all. I see it as a tree with many differently shaped branches. AT was a profound exemplar, a brilliant leaf on the genius branch, from my perspective.

Tony Attwood considers AT to have been on the spectrum too. (How can two such great minds be wrong!! lol :mrgreen: )

I [thought that I] missed Cooper's commentary, but saw a few others of his work during the centennary celebration.

You see the spectrum as a tree? Great imagery! I see it more as a galaxy with constellations of stars. :D

I wouldn't doubt your opinion about Turing, B19!

Last edited by AspieUtah on 24 Jun 2016, 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 6:57 pm

I see the Spectrum as the result of the interaction between a prism and a light source.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 6:59 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I see the Spectrum as the result of the interaction between a prism and a light source.

Ooooh! Nice touch!

B19
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 7:20 pm

I like trees (a lot).

The Asperger's Syndrome tree has:

roots that extend into the deep history of the earth and human evolution - common ground with all humanity
a trunk which connects the different branches - common ground with one another and each subgroup
branches which are different shapes and sizes - the subgroups of AS
leaves which represent each individual AS person

It's an evergreen and it's very hardy because it must survive great adversity in the climate in which it lives. It produces some rare and beautiful fruits from time to time.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 7:25 pm

B19 wrote:
I like trees (a lot).

The Asperger's Syndrome tree has:

roots that extend into the deep history of the earth and human evolution - common ground with all humanity
a trunk which connects the different branches - common ground with one another and each subgroup
branches which are different shapes and sizes - the subgroups of AS
leaves which represent each individual AS person

It's an evergreen and it's very hardy because it must survive great adversity in the climate in which it lives. It produces some rare and beautiful fruits from time to time.

I believe that you have described a Redwood tree. :wink:

B19
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 7:32 pm

Perhaps the great and ancient New Zealand Kauri, the most famous of which is named after Tane Mahuta who is "The God of the Forest".