Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

fenfaerielee94
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Feb 2022, 10:04 pm

Those who are on disability because of problems sustaining work, how did you do this? In England we have ESA, but it's normally for people with *diagnosed* (a diagnosis of which, especially for complex physical conditions, can be very difficult and long winded as I'm sure some of you living with complex physical conditions know) physical or mental conditions. Do yall have diagnosed conditions as well as autism, or did you just use the autism? Last time I checked, autism isn't enough to secure disability/ESA. For me personally I'm also reluctant to use it even if it was enough. This is because I'd feel like I was perpetrating the ableistic belief society has that people "suffer from" autism. I don't suffer from it, I suffer from ableistic society and employers.

KaleidoscopicMagpie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Feb 2022, 3:47 pm

I used to get ESA, then I started working and got working tax credits and PIP. I think you have to fill in a form about how your disability affects you, then they automatically say no, then you have to have an appeal and they will probably say yes. At the time I was not functioning well at all and in supported accomodation. However, it is time for review, but I think my PIP has stopped because, although I live independently now, I can't do things like open my mail (big anxiety trigger) or fill in forms (I am bright, but cannot understand what the question is asking for some reason). I don't know at the moment whether or not I would be eligible for any support, because I do manage my work routine. However, my time off from work is much more difficult. What's more paradoxical is that I do get exhausted from working, so I need that time doing nothing, but then there never seems to be any time in my day for doing the things that should come second on my to-do list after work, but come way below all the other things like allowing myself to pursue my interests and express autistic behaviours which I mask all day long.