Do sunglasses help you with 'confidence'?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 8:33 am

I've started wearing sunglasses when out more often and find this helps with my confidence and anxiety.

At first I had sensory issues with them and could barely see and had trouble for my eyes to adjust, but have since gotten used to it.

The world may be the exact same place but darker, but I feel more disconnected from the world and reality and thus more comfortable as this makes me care less about my actions and behavior, but I also feel braver to micro-manage.

It's odd - I feel a mix of being away from reality as if the world feels less real (as in what others think of me matters less because they are less visible/noteworthy to me) but still remaining in control of my thoughts and actions to the point I can also 'pass for normal'.

Also, I sometimes have odd stims with my eyes so sunglasses help hide that and it also makes eye contact easier and helps me feel more 'anonymous' for some reason and less visible.

I literally and figuratively manage to hide behind sunglasses.

Is this just me?

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jun 2016, 8:41 am

Hi Outrider,

Yes, I feel quite similar. When I'm wearing glasses my sensory input is dialled down to a more manageable level. Plus I an freed from the worry about eye contact becuase people can't see if I'm looking at them. It's such a simle thing but it really helps.

Jo
:)

Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ICD10)

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 8:47 am

I wear them regularly, now.

I didn't before discovering that I might be autistic, but they're now an essential. I used to struggle with focusing on computer screens/TV shows, or being anywhere bright with natural or artificial light. I thought it was normal. I attributed it to my short-sightedness when I was younger, but I had that fixed and it didn't go away. If anything, the trouble just became more obvious when things weren't naturally blurry!

They've made a huge difference to me, regarding actual light levels and how I feel better and can focus and concentrate better now. I see more. And yes, they also do loads for my confidence.

It really helps me to know that people can't see my eyes. I find it easier to look at people properly, but also have confidence knowing that they can't tell if I'm not giving them the eye contact that they expect. I also agree about feeling more 'anonymous'. It's like I'm behind a wall, and people can see me but I blend in more.

I accept it's probably the opposite. I imagine that if people see me in my sunglasses, particularly on overcast days, I actually stand out a bit. But it makes me feel 'safer', somewhat.

Dreadful Dante
Raven
Raven

24 Jun 2016, 10:07 am

I have the same issue as Ariel with Artifical lights. Daylight in a more constant way as it doesn't suddenly change brightness as a TV would, although it does bother me. It's a huge reflief when I can just turn off the lights, go out at night instead of during the day, hide in shady places or wear sunglasses.

The con is having people staring at me to aknowledge the fact that I'm wearing them if no one else seems to be wearing those kinds of gadgets.

I don't like talking to people with sunglasses, it gives me the impression they'not alive. I usually read their facial expressions to have clues on how they're feeling, pupil dilation, eyebrow movements, crowsfeet and if the glasses are too dark, I can't figure those out.

Peacefully,
Dante.

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 3:41 pm

I have three pairs of glasses:

1) Prescription Glasses
2) Prescription Sunglasses
3) Non-prescription Blue-tinted Sunglasses

I have not used my prescription glasses in several years.
I am usually wearing my prescription sunglasses 8) to help my poor eyesight AND light sensitivity.
But, I will use my non-prescription blue-tinted sunglasses to block visual overstimulation and painful lights. I will not be able to see ANYTHING but what I am staring at right in front of my face, so I am less stressed. I am calmest with these.

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol:

xsentrik
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Jun 2016, 5:04 pm

Funny, I was just thinking about this very subject earlier today. I too get a sense of power and "invisibility" while wearing sunglasses. People that usually intimidate me, get a dose of intimidation when I wear sunglasses! I like it. The problem is, I can't wear sunglasses indoors or after dark. So, since my vision is getting worse and I'll need prescription glasses soon, I am thinking of getting some tinted "transition" lenses to wear at all times!

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 5:46 pm

I am actually the opposite. Sure, I am blinded by sunlight on a clear day. But usually the artificial lights (indoors and especially at night) hurt my eyes. So, I NEED to wear sunglasses indoors and at night. And transition lenses never worked for me.

:shrug:

But, hopefully, that will work for you and your vision.

:D

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol:

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2016, 3:36 pm

Knofskia wrote:
I am actually the opposite. Sure, I am blinded by sunlight on a clear day. But usually the artificial lights (indoors and especially at night) hurt my eyes. So, I NEED to wear sunglasses indoors and at night. And transition lenses never worked for me.

:shrug:

But, hopefully, that will work for you and your vision.

:D

I have this experience. I used to have Transitions lenses on my glasses years ago, but this was before I realised that I was having so many 'fixable' troubles with lighting.

I haven't needed prescriptions lenses in years now, but I expect to have to start wearing them again next year as my eyesight is once again deteriorating.

I have been thinking what I'd do, and the best option for me is definitely to have a pair of prescription glasses and a separate pair of prescription sunglasses, as I now wear my sunglasses a lot around the house, so Transitions would be useless in these situations. I tend not to wear my sunglasses in shops or when I visit other people in their houses, because I don't like to look too odd, so my normal glasses would be for these times. The sunglasses would mainly be used around my own house and when driving, and sometimes in shops if it were sunny outside and I could genuinely get away with looking like I'd just come in from the sunny outdoors and had forgotten to take them off!

For now, I use ordinary sunglasses that are constantly on and off depending on where I am and what I'm doing.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2016, 4:30 pm

I don't wear sunglasses for some reasons: they are uncomfortable, I can see all the scratches on them(I don't have expensive sunglasses, just those "made in china" cheap junk) and they make my field of view blurry and too dark.

And in my prescription glasses I actually come out as more autistic. It could be because I only started using them a few months ago and I rarely use them because they are uncomfortable and I can see without them (my myopia is only -0,5 so no big deal).
When I am wearing my glasses I can't get rid of the sensation they cause on my nose and I keep seeing the frames. And the glass, even clean and scratchless makes me feel like there is a barrier between me and the world, my facial expressions feel weird (I try to move my face muscles like I always do and I feel the glasses moving, which distracts me), my voice gets louder (as if I tried to yell trough the barrier) and I catch myself on using wrong tone of voice and even saying wrong stuff.

For example recently I said "Good morning" instead of "Excuse me" in a shop when I tried to ask for guidance and while I tried to make my voice sound like I need help it cracked and sounded like I seen someone I know and was just saying hello. And the clerk ignored me. So I said it again (2nd "Good morning", even more awkward...) and stood there till the clerk realized I mean I need help.

I am better without any glasses.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2016, 5:18 pm

No.

I wear a hat.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2016, 5:27 pm

Yes, I love sunglasses. Mostly because I have sensitive eyes and the sunlight hurts, even on an overcast day I can find sunlight too bright.

The sunglasses create a barrier that I can hide behind. I feel more confident when wearing them. I feel less vulnerable.

I can't wear them indoors though. I just can't cope with the darkness of indoor sunglasses.

Although I do hate artificial light, so maybe lightly tinted glasses might help.

JanusOne
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jun 2016, 6:01 pm

greetings all,

i comprehend what you are saying. i have to wear them even on cloudy days to to the intensity of light on my senses.
i also never really thought about it until i read your post, but wearing them seems to allow me to hide from other peoples opinions and self perceived judgement against me. it makes it much easier to drive and to get from point a to b without too much anxiety.

with peace,
JanusOne :D

WoW_Wow
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Jun 2016, 11:22 pm

Today is National Sunglasses Day, so it's the perfect time to discuss this!

(I don't wear sunglasses myself though. They're too cool/hip for me, and I try to project a nerdy image.)

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2016, 12:00 am

Sunglasses are good for toning down sensory issues and hiding behind.
I have different shades for sunny, cloudy and indoors.
I own many pairs of KD's because the lenses come in several different shades.