Sometimes I Wish I Had Never Heard of Autism

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

JohnnyLurg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jun 2016, 6:23 am

Sometimes I wish I had never found out I had autism when I think back to how blissful I was before I knew I had autism. I felt more interesting and unique, and that I could do anything, instead of "just another Aspie, who cares."

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 8:04 am

You can still be interesting and unique, even if you are Aspie.

Aspie-ness doesn't cancel creative productions.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 9:25 am

Not knowing why I or exactly how I was unique and exactly why it caused problems was frustrating. Without the explanation the only logicical conclusion was charactor flaws and weakness as a person.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 10:30 am

First of all, JohnnyLurg is a cool name.

Secondly, you should settle back in and remember how cool and interesting you are with time. It's natural to be self-conscious of things sometimes, but that will wear off.

No one who knows you cares that you're autistic. They care that you are you.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 12:06 pm

Before I knew I was autistic, I thought there was something terribly wrong with me. After I was told at the age of 15, I had a better understanding of why I am the way I am.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 3:20 pm

I'm not sure how common it is to come from a background where your family is supportive of your autism traits and you reach adulthood or near adulthood without any or many self-esteem issues. Maybe I'm misunderstanding Johnny, but this is the impression I get from him.

I know that this does happen sometimes because that's how the family I married into is. I personally know another family who is like that, maybe to a lesser degree in supporting the traits, but they actively support each other. One older member is handing his business over to a younger member and altering it to be more aspie-friendly, all without formal diagnoses or acknowledgement of autism. With my in-laws and this other family I know, the autism label would only serve a minor purpose. It wouldn't change their lives in most ways.

Sometimes when things are working, it can be weird to then reframe yourself as being "socially disabled." It may not fit in practice, although it's a technically accurate diagnosis. You know? You're not really disabled- you're doing okay. Maybe I'm putting all that badly. I'm tired today.

frag
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 3:23 pm

JohnnyLurg wrote:
Sometimes I wish I had never found out I had autism when I think back to how blissful I was before I knew I had autism. I felt more interesting and unique, and that I could do anything, instead of "just another Aspie, who cares."

I know how you feel there.

I felt for a while that Asperger's explained everything I ever did, like if I was a preprogrammed robot. It took a long time for that feeling to disappear.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 3:33 pm

JohnnyLurg wrote:

Can someone explain to me what he is talking about?

To me it's like saying "before the doctor diagnosed it I loved being in constant pain from sickle cell anemia" because the pain meant "that I could do anything, and made me feel unique" , but now I am "just another person with sickle cell anemia"...how boring.

You would still be in constant agony, and you still have a rare inborn disease. So if having those two things floats your boat then they are still both true.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 4:28 pm

There are a lot of downsides to not knowing that your autistic though, like thinking that your an idiot when you have trouble with socializing and everyone expecting you to be fine with routine changes and loud environments. It is definitely nice to feel unique sometimes but that often comes with the feeling that nobody understands you.

The single worst time in my life so far could have been made a lot better if I understood autism better then the rudimentary understanding I had at the time, I was lead to believe that I was a failure and my mom seemed to think that too, and the meltdowns I had made matters worse because I didn't know why I was doing it and my mom thought that it was just bad behavior.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 4:36 pm

...I...wonder......... :?

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

frag
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 7:46 pm

When I was a general weirdo... people didn't understand me just cuz. And they found mystery to it. AND I was an individual.

As an aspie... people still don't understand me. But now they have a name for it. And now everything I am and do carries that name. Also I am not an individual. I am part of a group of people with Asperger's.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 8:29 pm

frag wrote:
When I was a general weirdo... people didn't understand me just cuz. And they found mystery to it. AND I was an individual.

As an aspie... people still don't understand me. But now they have a name for it. And now everything I am and do carries that name. Also I am not an individual. I am part of a group of people with Asperger's.

Everyone has names that follow them around, and nobody is defined by just one. Among my labels are ones like male, American, political centrist, and agnostic atheist but those only describe me, they do not define me and there is certainly more to me then that even though they are reflected in my behavior. Autism is the same way, it's just another adjective among many.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

01 Jul 2016, 9:06 pm

There was nothing blissful before, I don't know how if anything would be different. Probably worse off not knowing I'm not a total freak and there are others like me soft of out there.