Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Dennis Prichard
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jun 2016, 10:48 pm

I have problems finding common areas of interest with my fellow humans. People can talk by god they can talk but what are they talking about? How is it they can elaborate so skillfully so voluminously.

I talk in a staunted way, constantly trying to consider is what I'm saying of interest to the other party, maybe I'll just ask them about their day and what want to talk about. Its a passable strategy, but people someone who can add color to the conversation. Thats not me.

Normal people, neurotypical people seem to have some special ability that allows them to key into trends "saleable" ideas. Those guys can really talk and fluently and effortlessly. People talk about autistic savants but what about normal people don't you think it's amazing the way they organize their ideas.

They tune into their fellow creature, they smoothly learn how to talk like their fellow creatures, move like their fellow creatures.

I must say, I have this nasty penchant to say things that other people find offensive or to say things that put me at a strategic disadvantage. This post might be part of that but I wouldn't know. If it is offensive please let me know it'll be informative if not some what depressing.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 11:40 pm

I kind of do think it's amazing, and I'm envious of it. I've been doing some research in to ways I could emulate that ability myself, but haven't found much that's beyond experimental stages.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 12:36 am

I am not going to use the term "neurotipical" because I have some problems with it and I urge others to do the same.

That aside, I am currently at a family reunion for my dad's side of the family, who are a level headed and mentally stable bunch (my autism and ADD genes come from my mom's side) with a lot of garage tinkerers. (basicly every uncle, every male cousin, my grandpa, my dad, my brothers, and I are all natural engineers, I wouldn't be supprised if the Y chromosome in my dad's side of the family had some engineer gene)

The point is: the 20+ of us are in a cabin. Day one is over and I'm relieved that I've managed to somehow survive the noise of everyone talking. In my oppinion the ability to stay sane in such an environment is a superpower.

Also, since I have ADD I would consider the ability to focus on boring things a super power. It's hard.

Anyway, 4 more days to go in this cabin with loud people and bad internet. Wish me luck, 'cause I'll need it.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 1:25 am

If NTs do have a super power, they're not using it well.

They can sync yes, detect thrends and must-be interests, filters that matches their multitasking, and have a well-off pretty-face.
But not all of them can collect and utilize connections. That's how I seen between 'sucessful' NTs, and desperates from anyone else.
Not all of them is also skilled in guile. Same with charm, same with diplomacy, and same with social mobility.
Also not all of them can try and match up with another NTs' culture, depending on their, well, own culture. Unless it's all about submission and always-all-agreeing, or fear and necessity. :|

I don't try and emulate them. :lol: I'm not even obsessed or natural with socializing, but I'm skilled enough to have enough social mobility without acting and common interests.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 1:42 am

I go to a school for kids on the spectrum and the cafeteria is usually pretty noisy with kids talking.

Dennis Prichard
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jun 2016, 1:58 am

I don't know how to do quotes so you'll have to forgive their absence in this post. Yes the sociallizing of nts is certainly a double edged sword with its fair share of downers.

Its been interesting looking at the rise of IS, and how young people particularly young men are becoming terrorists a big cause is the social factor probably more numerous are people taking up alcohol and drugs because of social factors neurotypicals doing what neurotypicals do. They are being social and adapt to those social situations with often bad consequences for themselves.

But nevertheless I don't agree with the attitudes taken by some asd people though such as the thread the "nt has no clothes", I won't speak in the cliched language of tolerance and so forth but rather say that feelings of superiority to nts is not scientific.

Normal human beings are a more adaptable organism, their theory of mind is instinctual, they don't have to try to understand actions in a logic way they just live it. I try to think of myself as a caveman trying to survive, constantly trying to understand things logically, my overburdened mind attempting to map the mulitiverse. I would be a very poor specimen indeed.

Dennis Prichard
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jun 2016, 2:03 am

EzraS wrote:
I go to a school for kids on the spectrum and the cafeteria is usually pretty noisy with kids talking.

So you don't think that people with autism have problems conversing and relating to other people then? If so then I might have to consider myself changing neurological designations.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 2:35 am

I don't particularly want to knock the mainstream NT world, but overall I don't envy them. Maybe they can do a few things that we find more difficult, but where does it get them? They don't seem any happier than I am. When I look around my city, I see a few vaguely cheerful faces but most of them look nonchalant at best. I just don't believe it's particularly great to be a neurotypical. It's probably not too bad for them on the whole, and I'm sure some of them have fun here and there, but then so do some of the neurodiverse. The NT might enjoy a great party or a football match, while the Aspie is having a fascinating time working on a special interest or talking deeply one-on-one with a carefully-selected friend. The sun shines and the rain falls on the whole human race. And I for one don't see myself as a poor specimen.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 4:03 am

Dennis Prichard wrote:
EzraS wrote:

So you don't think that people with autism have problems conversing and relating to other people then? If so then I might have to consider myself changing neurological designations.

I was saying what I have observed on nearly a daily basis nearly my whole life. Personally I am extremely withdrawn because of autism. And many others are also. But obviously not all based on all the chatter I hear at lunch time. But I think it is probably easier for asd people to be more social with other asd people. Likewise there are nt people who are shy, reserved, stoeic, taciturn etc. But problems with socilizing and things like small talk are at the top of things made difficult to impossible because of autism.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 4:21 am

many people i have spoken to talk about what they call "vibes". my understanding is that their thinking is somehow magically influenced by these "vibes", and i used to dismiss them as stupid illusions because they can not be explained by my analysis, but everyone seems to feel them they say.

if i was colorblind (black and white world) and i stubbornly believed that other people's perceptions of colors were just illusions then i would be wrong, so i allow that i may be blind to the "vibes" they say they feel.

people seem to be influenced by the facial expressions of others and also the by tone of their voices.
it is like everyone believes that the same mental notion they feel themselves is behind the production of the facial expressions that others exhibit that match whatever expression is associated with their own internal feelings that would produce similar facial expressions in them (the listener).

i do not have facial expressions other than ones i developed on my own when i was a baby. i never identified with other peoples facial expressions, because they just do not remind me of anything i feel.

tones of voice are also important to people because it influences how they understand what they are hearing. i always talk in a way that is like i am instructing someone as to the details of a sentiment rather than being ebullious and dramatic.

neurotypical people glean a feeling of happiness by seeing others that they feel are on "the same wavelength", and that is the basis of society.

it is just a power they have which i do not have, and i live my life without it.

Dennis Prichard
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jun 2016, 5:36 am

Cant post, its really frustrating.

Dennis Prichard
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jun 2016, 5:50 am

Thanks b9 I think its interesting how normal people can be very nondescript when it comes to describing important things they use words like its the "vibe" or "we are not on the same wavelength", these kinds of terms which are very vague.

Dennis Prichard
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jun 2016, 5:51 am

When I was young I was very envious of people who could use words like cool or awesome in describing things. I couldn't do that for me description was something that had to be specific and often critical and negative.

Dennis Prichard
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jun 2016, 5:53 am

The autistic world is a world I navigate through without the right tools to deal with it. The right tools would be a serviceable theory of language that could rightly explain the cools and awesomes and vibes and wavelengths and what do these phrases really practically mean. I'm not satisfied that academics are dealing with these questions responsibly I think they are simply creating their own versions of of the beforementioned phrases.

As for ToughDiamond I think the buck stops always with evolutionary biology. Humans, our bodies, our brains and personalities have been created as an adaptation to a certain hunter gatherer lifestyle. I respect neurotypical behaviour because it is the strongest representation of what helped us adapt and survive in that cruel world. Many an autist would have suffered a terrible fate during that because of their inflexibility and inability to adapt to their group. Its a very sad fact to recognize. But one also has to admit that it is autistic qualities that have created civilization's great works, art, engineering, science you name it created by people who didn't just think like others.

Dennis Prichard
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Jun 2016, 5:55 am

Sorry about that it seems that the forum doesn't accept quotation marks.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 11:36 pm

mikeman7918 wrote:
I am not going to use the term "neurotipical" because I have some problems with it and I urge others to do the same.

Same, but it's too much damn work to use anything else around here.

ToughDiamond wrote:
The NT might enjoy a great party or a football match, while the Aspie is having a fascinating time working on a special interest or talking deeply one-on-one with a carefully-selected friend. The sun shines and the rain falls on the whole human race. And I for one don't see myself as a poor specimen.

Stereotypes, much? :roll:

I do see myself as a poor specimen. I see autism as inherently a defect. That's life, and I work with what I have as best I can.

b9 wrote:
many people i have spoken to talk about what they call "vibes". my understanding is that their thinking is somehow magically influenced by these "vibes", and i used to dismiss them as stupid illusions because they can not be explained by my analysis, but everyone seems to feel them they say.

They're a real thing; they're using mechanisms in the brain which are underdeveloped in autistic people. I've been very interested lately in ways to improve functioning in these areas.

Dennis Prichard wrote:
But one also has to admit that it is autistic qualities that have created civilization's great works, art, engineering, science you name it created by people who didn't just think like others.

I don't have to admit a thing! :lol: