Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Megan140
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Jul 2016, 2:13 am

One thing I've always been good at is looking passed other people's outbursts to find the root cause of their emotion.
An example is the other day my NT sister and her fiancee got into an explosive argument over cleaning and my sister said she was going to sleep on the couch, that didn't want to be in the same bed as him. I realized right away their argument had nothing to do with cleaning (I happened to be right there when the argument exploded) and everything to do with a big life decision that should have been made by the two of them that he made on his own that my sister didn’t realize she wasn't actually as fine with as she thought. The whole thing was sorted out by sitting the two of them down and having them talk about the incident like adults (I shut down any attempt to start another arguments and threatened to separate them) with me playing intermediary.
I can't figure out my own emotions beyond the basic: happy, sad, irritated, or angry; and usually end up surprised when my temper rears its head for seemingly no good reason. But I can figure out that an argument between two people has nothing to do with cleaning.
Anyone else able to do this? This a common thing for an aspie?