Forgetting how tall you are/where you end.

Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 10:06 am

I think I might have mentioned this somewhere else before but I wanted to know if anyone else got this as well.
A lot of the time I bang my head on things accidentally, or walk into things and bash my arm or my leg. This is because I seem to forget that I exist externally. Because I can see with my eyes, I know not to walk into anything at eye level. But anything further than that, I forget, unless I am consciously aware that I need to be careful. So if I walk round a corner with a wall that leans over, I'll bang my head on it because I forget that my body carries on after eye level. Or I trip up on stairs a lot because my feet seem so far away from my brain to concentrate on. It makes me worried if I go into a shop, incase I break something.
Is this an Aspie thing or just a Sopho thing?

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 10:14 am

I constantly walk into things. I walked into a rose bush the other day. There must be a law against roses bushes hanging over onto the pavement. :evil:

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 10:15 am

Sopho,
I do the exact thing, I get bruises everywhere, and I'm always bumping into things, and always hitting my head someway or another, and stairs well I have so much problem with stairs, I have to think of each step before I walk either up or down, and if I don't I trip and fall.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

05 May 2007, 10:16 am

i trip over my feet sometimes, wich is why you should never take me dancing. (what a nitemare)

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 10:20 am

I can't dance either lol

newaspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 May 2007, 10:28 am

i do these things all the time. i walk into walls, bump my head, arms or legs, trip and fall, stumble and lose my balance, spill things, knock things over, etc, etc, etc, etc.............

i've always been extremely clumsy

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 10:39 am

You think *****YOU****** have it bad? I fly into small cities! Small cities means small planes, and the ceiling space goes all over. Apparently looking down IS an AS trait, so you have to be aware of EVERY little thing. I am BOUND to slip up every now and then. I think I do like 5-10 weeks a year!

That is exascerbated by the fact that you ALWAYS end up with some jerk having to get up right after he is seated, and people in the isle don't understand that 2 people can't occupy the same space, and it is IMPOSSIBLE to stand STRAIGHT up.

Anyway, it is enough to make you forget that you can't stand up 100%, etc... I am about 1-2 inches taller than the roof of most small planes(Even on some of the LARGEST planes I have to duck to avoid monitors and rafts!), so I HAVE to slouch, and generally don't even TRY to stand up unless I am in the isle seat facing the isle as, otherwise, I will hit the overhead compartment.

Steve

Eller
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 10:45 am

I often knock things over, drop things, trip or walk into closed doors, and I sometimes apply too much pressure when holding something, though I'm not clumsy at all when precision work is concerned. Others usually think it's weird that I can for example repair a radio but can't fry an egg. (which will end up anywhere, on the floor, on the wall, but not in the frying pan) Luckily I'm a girl, so people think that kind of thing is cute.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 10:46 am

I've walked into closed doors before as well.

Eller
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 10:48 am

That usually happens when somebody closes a door I remember to be open - I sometimes forget to check.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 10:49 am

I usually expect the door to open without me using th handle, but it doesn't and I walk into it without thinking.

Eller
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 10:59 am

At home, my father removed all the doors (except of course the apartment door) to avoid that problem. And I just love the person who invented mechanical doors.

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 11:02 am

I don't like mechanical doors. I can never work out when to try and get through. Like escalators, I get nervous stepping onto them.

Eller
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 11:08 am

I don't mind escalators, I think it's more difficult to walk up stairs. At least you can't trip on an escalator.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 11:09 am

I am forever catching my arm or hip on the door jamb, like I can't judge my space and the door space. No wonder I am always thinking people are 'in my personal space' because I can't even judge where I am physically, let alone ah. . spatially.

I don't know why it isn't the same when driving. I think it is because I 'feel' the edges of the car and add three feet. maybe that will work on my 'personal space'

Merle

Wolfpup
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2007, 11:55 am

I don't think I'm really bad with this...although as SteveK mentions, I do wonder if this is why I look down a lot to see where I'm going!

I think I have a decent sense of where I am, but I do a lot of times knock things off counters or that sort of thing-where I'm not giving myself enough clearance for my arms.

I did walk into a door a few weeks ago, but that was at night, I was out of it, and expected it to be open. I don't think I usually do that.