Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2016, 3:18 am

BirdInFlight wrote:
I find the smell of books so wonderful that part of my reading habits is to every so often just stick my nose right into the book for an intake of the smell, before continuing my reading. I try not to do it in public, but I love to do that at home. I seriously love the smell and the feel of books almost as much I love reading the content itself.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 4:23 am

I love going to the book store and smelling the new books. I also love the smell of really old leather bound books at the library and what's at home.

Muziek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Aug 2016, 4:49 am

As with all of my senses, I have to really make an effort to experience them clearly, because it is in my nature -- autism -- that I'm turned inward. Over time and especially thanks to Buddhism, I have learned to sense more clearly, to really see, listen, feel.

crazybunnylady
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Aug 2016, 5:48 am

My sense of smell is generally really intense but it does fluctuate. I find hormones make it even stronger, for example after orgasm and during ovulation my sense of smell goes through the roof. I'm guessing it would be a nightmare for me to be pregnant.

Diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome 15/06/2016

DaughterOfAule
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Aug 2016, 3:51 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
I find the smell of books so wonderful that part of my reading habits is to every so often just stick my nose right into the book for an intake of the smell, before continuing my reading. I try not to do it in public, but I love to do that at home. I seriously love the smell and the feel of books almost as much I love reading the content itself.

EzraS wrote:
I love going to the book store and smelling the new books. I also love the smell of really old leather bound books at the library and what's at home.

I definitely agree! I've caused myself to sneeze in book stores on multiple occasions after smelling old books that happened to be dusty :P

I am often bothered by smells other people don't notice or don't think are that strong. I also smell things over and over again when I like how they smell. So I'd say my sense of smell is at least somewhat better than average.

"I do not wish to evade the world
Yet I will forever build my own" - Tuomas Holopainen

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 8:08 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
BirdInFlight wrote:

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Ditto!

I also have a very keen nose and often detect odours that others can't or don't register consciously. I can detect the bacterial count in my milk and how close it is to going off based on that. I can tell how close a rain storm is (imminent or still several hours away) by the change in smells in the air when i'm outside. Things like that. It can come in handy, but it can also be inconvenient (like sharing space unavoidably with people with body odour, for example.)

(Note to Moderators: my warning number is wrong on my profile but apparently can't be fixed so I will note here that it is actually 2, not 3--the warning issued to me on Aug 20 2016 was a mistake but I've been told it can't be removed.)

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2016, 8:50 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:

I've smelled books in thr bookstore before.

When I was 2, I recieved clothes for Christmas. I wasn't too excited of course, but before tossing them aside, I smelled them. I also smelled a plush cow my aunt got. She didn't even notice.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 2:00 am

I have olfactory hypersensitivity....my sense of smell is very sensitive.

Love transcends all.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 7:39 am

My sense of smell fluctuates a lot.
When I am very tired or stressed it becomes extremely intense and troubling.

I'm not sure if it is something that I can normally suppress or if it somehow becomes hypersensitive when things are not going well for me neurologically.

It can be intensely unpleasant.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2019, 12:55 pm

Actually, I have noticed that my sense of smell is my strongest sense. I am sensitive to both good and bad odors.

Instead, eyesight is not good, hearing is so-so, taste is OK.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2019, 2:42 pm

I am extremely sensitive to many smells.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2019, 3:27 pm

ocdgirl123 wrote:
Smell is apparently the least sensitive scent in autistic people.

However, my sense of smell is super strong. In fact, smelling things that I like is a stim of mine (eg: new books, my cat). When it comes to bad smells though, I will gag on them. Bacon is an example of a smell I detest.

There was a study that came out last year saying that autistic children don't react to smell.

Any thoughts?

That study was questionable due to the fact that they couldn't distinguish whether the children simply didn't find the smells objectionable or they didn't detect it.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2019, 4:11 pm

A lot of Aspies are sensitive to smells in places like supermarkets, so I don't think the sense of smell is the weakest in Aspies. I have weak sense of smell because I have sinus trouble.

Kerguelia
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

18 Feb 2019, 5:02 pm

Definitely my weakest, but not absent. I love book smells, coffee, bacon, fish (cooked and raw!), rain, wood...
I think my sense of smell is average, which makes it seem really weak compared to, say, my touch and hearing. My sight and taste are also fairly average.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2019, 5:03 pm

EzraS wrote:
They say my sense of smell is like a dog's. It's a sense I use a lot in identifying people, places and things.

I am like that too.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2019, 5:36 pm

I'm hypersensitive to smells. Smells that irritate me but people find pleasant include perfumes and deodorants, chocolate, coffee, wine and vinegar and some fruit juices.