Subway calls cops over drink-sharing by aspie employee.

Page 3 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 4:46 pm

shadexiii wrote:
snake321 wrote:
Oh, but it's ok to discriminate against us because we haven't blown open a nation or world wide civil rights movement yet :roll:

...who is arguing this?

Nobody was arguing it directly, it just seems to be the popular mentality reguarding aspies or loners amoung NT society.

shadexiii
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 4:47 pm

The news piece I read didn't give that impression. As for those that do, some don't understand that it is discrimination, or why.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 4:47 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
Well the second story was buried on Digg to. Looks like the bad guys win :(

Like I said, people don't wanna hear about our struggles. We're not "interesting" enough, and many NT people in society feel as if theyr justified in their arrogance towards us.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 4:49 pm

Oppressing aspies is a lesser evil in their minds right now than oppressing others because we haven't defeated the hate yet.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 4:51 pm

Basically, rather they all admit it or not, right now aspies are viewed and treated as lesser human beings.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 4:55 pm

Many of times those who are nice to us still treat us like lesser beings, the "advocacy" people and what not. Though they do not realise that they are being racist against us, but then again if we were to explain this to them until they were blue in the face, they'd still try to babysit us and not take what we have to say seriously. No matter how intelligent and independant we come off.

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 6:48 pm

I work at a fast food restaurant, too and we get as much drink as we want for free. I even see people taking several big cups of drink home to their kids and no one cares. Why? Because it's just watered-down carbonated sugar water, not vintage wine! :evil:

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 6:53 pm

Oh, and this is how it would've gone down here.....

*manager* Hello, police? I would like to report a theft.

*police* "Ma'am, what happened."

*manager* "An employee stole a drink."

*police* "Wa...What? Could you repeat that please?"

*manager* "One of our employees shared her soda with someone without them paying."

*police* (silence)

*manager* "Will you send someone over please?"

*police* (sound of whole police department laughing hysterically in the background)

*manager* "Um, hello..hello?"

*police* click

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 7:34 pm

nirrti_rachelle wrote:
Oh, and this is how it would've gone down here.....

*manager* Hello, police? I would like to report a theft.

*police* "Ma'am, what happened."

*manager* "An employee stole a drink."

*police* "Wa...What? Could you repeat that please?"

*manager* "One of our employees shared her soda with someone without them paying."

*police* (silence)

*manager* "Will you send someone over please?"

*police* (sound of whole police department laughing hysterically in the background)

*manager* "Um, hello..hello?"

*police* click

MAN, are you right! My mother once had an ENTIRE insurance agency laugh at her! WHY????? Because she wanted to know how much it would cost to get her teenage son insurance for his new CORVETTE!

They laugh at ME getting insurance on a sports car, but they don't laugh at some jerk calling the police against an employee for what AT WORST is minor pilferage!?!?!?!? COME ON! The employee EASILY made more than that per hour! If they didn't, then the franchisee is in SERIOUS trouble! There is that danged thing called the MINIMUM WAGE! And that is for the RETAIL price! Nearly every employee where products are produced/sold is given a DISCOUNT! They GENERALLY range from 5-40% and, for the food industry and a couple others, they can be up to 100%! !! !! The markup on those drinks is EASILY 400%+ ANYWAY!

Steve

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 8:10 pm

The female employee with Asperger's did not share from the same cup she was drinking from but instead poured a drink for her friend from the drink machine. This was unethical, although she may not have realized it. In my experience working in fast food, I did not have a zero tolerance manager such as the one it sounds like this female employee had. But maybe a manager would strictly enforce each and every rule as it applies to a certain employee if that employee gave them reason to. Also, filing criminal charges and firing an employee sounds like it would involve a lot of paperwork, and I can't imagine most managers wanting to do all that paperwork just over a cup of Coke. Maybe this girl was fired just to be gotten rid of, although the article does not show evidence that was such. Subway's directors pressing charges was over the top, but what bothers me the most about that is how Australia's government can allow someone to be jailed for two days over this.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

06 May 2007, 8:58 pm

hyperbolic wrote:
The female employee with Asperger's did not share from the same cup she was drinking from but instead poured a drink for her friend from the drink machine. This was unethical, although she may not have realized it. In my experience working in fast food, I did not have a zero tolerance manager such as the one it sounds like this female employee had. But maybe a manager would strictly enforce each and every rule as it applies to a certain employee if that employee gave them reason to. Also, filing criminal charges and firing an employee sounds like it would involve a lot of paperwork, and I can't imagine most managers wanting to do all that paperwork just over a cup of Coke. Maybe this girl was fired just to be gotten rid of, although the article does not show evidence that was such. Subway's directors pressing charges was over the top, but what bothers me the most about that is how Australia's government can allow someone to be jailed for two days over this.

Quote:
Security video footage of the incident shows Lang sharing the drink with her friend, then refilling the cup and leaving it on the table when she returned to work.

That suggest only one cup was used. And the Subway manual permits unlimited drinks for employees for their on use. I was never suggesting that she should be permited to break the company rules. I think the proper thing would have been to require her to pay
for one drink. But all I'm asking Subway to do is contact this Franchisee and pressure them to drop all charges on this girl.

And for as ethics go I'm willing to bet my last dollar there are some unethical things going on by the manger or owner of that store. In a high cash bussiness like that and in
a highly taxed country like NZ I expect cash is not being reported to the government.

Oh my dad knew a man who owned several fast food resturants and how he would steal from the government and the Franchise fees was to reuse the disposable drink cups. Yes employeess would get them out of the trash (I guess wash them a little :) ) and then buy any extra soda supplies with cash.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 9:16 pm

hyperbolic wrote:

On the SURFACE, what you said sounds true. Let's FORGET the fact that calling the police for such a minor thing is STUPID! FORGET the fact that even WALLMART doesn't do that anymore for even the general public! FORGET the fact that pilferage happens with almost every employee in every company(and it costs MORE per capita than the soda incident). FORGET the fact that normal waste exceeds what was taken.

The fact is that it was an EMPLOYEE! This is generally considered a PERK! HECK, I pay an average of $400 to fly in my work, but airline employees can do it for FREE, *****AND***** they can generally have FRIENDS fly for FREE! This isn't a unique deal.

Steve

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

06 May 2007, 10:03 pm

People its on again!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !

The guy who first submitted the story to Digg e-mailed the Digg admins and its been
undugg so please begin voting again. It was very close to being placed on the front page before!

Quote:

http://www.digg.com/register

Use that link to Digg / vote for the story. Just click the link below the vote count in the upper left corner. Make sure it goes up by "1". If your not logged in when you click it you will be ask to login (or register). Do so then click the link below the number again and make sure it increases by "1".

http://www.digg.com/offbeat_news/Fast_F ... llar_Drink

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2007, 11:16 pm

I will never patronize subway again.

HolyDiver
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 May 2007, 12:01 am

I don't care what the girl has or doesn't have, aspie or not, she is a HUMAN being. Subway disgusts me. I will protest them for this. Corporate America needs a Sword plowed through their heart for the dagger that they have stabbed into mankind's back.

maldoror
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 1:02 am

ahayes wrote:
I will never patronize subway again.

Well, since the store was franchised, Subway the company couldn't have had anything to do with it.