Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

bluecountry
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Aug 2016, 9:47 am

Very bad IBS....I get a lot of bloating, incomplete evacuation, poor stools and can't eat:
-ANY dairy
-Super low fat (25% or less calories from fat)
-Very low whole grains
-NO FODMAPS

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2016, 9:52 am

screen_name wrote:
Gastro issues are a known common problem among those on the spectrum.

Any ideas why this is?

I have had Gastro issues much of my life, but never attributed it to Aspergers. Just saw a doctor last week for abdominal pains, was diagnosed with Gastritis.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2016, 9:58 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I can understand that. I'd be angry at the world, too.

I'm sort of angry because I have a minor knee injury.

Just think of the Appalachian Trail.

Hope your knee gets better soon. Been through that type of injury a few times. I am suffering a bout of Plantar Fasciitis in my right foot again. Haven't been running in almost a month. Starting to bum me out-getting tired of the exercise bike everyday for a workout.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2016, 10:01 am

With this knee, I can't bike, either!

Thanks for the well-wishes, John.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2016, 7:50 pm

Acid stomach problem - under control. In my case it's caused partly by being on the spectrum, partly by stress, and partly by certain foods that irritate the stomach, especially greasy foods. I now live a much less stressful life, and rarely eat greasy foods any more, so the problem is under control now.

IBS and a kink in my bowel. Usually sluggish to go to the bathroom, sometimes backed up. Occasionally diarrhea. Can actually have both problems at the same time. The first part will come out as a diarrhea, and the rest will be stuck in there, all backed up, but still feel like it wants to come out, so I spend a lot of time on the toilet every day. Fortunately, don't have diarrhea too often. Also sometimes have gas and bloating from the backed up poop. Guess it's fermenting. Gross. Anyway. Decades of trouble pooping have also caused colonic inertia, which adds to the difficulty.

Bladder problems - Lifelong problems both in controlling it, and in getting the signal that it's time to head for the toilet. All too often, I don't get the signal to head for the toilet, until I should already be on the toilet. Due to decades of being overweight, and over a decade without female parts to hold the bladder in it's proper position, it has gotten worse. I now have to use disposable underpants. At least they make cleanups much easier though, including ones caused by occasional bouts of diarrhea.

Also allergic to a few foods, and a lifelong saltaholic.

The only thing I can do to deal with my gastro problems is try to avoid stress, greasy foods, foods I am allergic to, eat something with fiber at every meal, and keep a supply of disposable underpants on hand. Not giving up salt, though. On the plus side, I lost about 50 pounds this past year due to diet modification, and distraction therapy. Since this works so well for me, it looks like I will eventually reach my "normal" weight range. I haven't been there since I was twelve. Once I hit puberty, I started ballooning out. Now my current clothes are too big, so I will soon need to buy new, smaller ones. :D

The_Dark_Citadel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Aug 2016, 5:33 am

I get indigestion often and end up having everything coming back up. It's very painful and my throat is full of lesions from it. Past few days, it's been almost nonstop, triggering behaviors (beating my chest hard with objects).

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2016, 10:07 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
With this knee, I can't bike, either!

Thanks for the well-wishes, John.

What is wrong with your knee Kraftie? Is it getting any better?

johnnyh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Aug 2016, 12:10 pm

Lactose intolerant, otherwise I eat normal food. I never understood why autism, a developmental disorder, affects a person's gut so much. I don't have any issues.

-Johnnyh

hellhole
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Aug 2016, 9:48 am

I have an undiagnosed case of what I believe to be "slow-transit colon"; which pretty much means food passes slowly through my digestive system. I've had this issue for pretty much my whole life :(

Most foods make exacerbate it, only wholesome and completely healthy types keep it stable.

"vulnerable narcissistic defenses w/ mild borderline traits"; Body Dysmorphic Disorder, (self-diagnosed).

Our internal representation of reality: (http://bit.ly/2BJuj5o)

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 9:55 am

I've been away for a while.

I started a diet that consisted solely of unflavored hypoallergenic formula made in glass bottles (to minimize corn contamination).

Then, I stopped tolerating that. Overall, I had 6 non-consecutive weeks of zero calorie intake.

I ended up hospitalized for awhile for malnutrition, got *really* close to getting a picc line or port and TPN (IV nutrition) for life, but at the last minute a doctor wanted to try something else.

I'm now pumped full of antihistamines and steroids daily and I swallow asthma inhaler meds. And I can eat! Real food! (Except no corn or corn ingredients.)

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and MERLD
I have significant chronic medical conditions as well

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 9:59 am

I really hope this works out. I know you're sick of the hospital.

Nice to see you again.

How's the Rocket City doing?

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 10:02 am

It's doing great. :)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 10:18 am

Think about the Appalachian Trail.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 10:39 am

I have gastro problems but I think they are stress related or it could be that I always had an aversion to fruit and vegetables and am now paying the price.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 11:27 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Think about the Appalachian Trail.

I am. :)

And it will be easier if I don't need to be fed by IV or a formula that needs to stay a particular temperature.

Someone makes something that can keep an epipen safe in different temps.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2016, 11:32 am

SaveFerris wrote:
I have gastro problems but I think they are stress related or it could be that I always had an aversion to fruit and vegetables and am now paying the price.

Could be stress. But, if it's bothersome, see a GI. I put it off for too long.

If the GI has access to the knowledge that you are on the spectrum, don't let him use that to cop out of ordering tests.

Someone else asked why so many gastro issues with ASDs? I know emerging science is finding specific differences in gut bacteria in the ASD person than in neurotypical people. However, adding a probiotic doesn't "cure" you. I'm sure the picture is much more complex than that.

I find it all fascinating how many different organisms live inside of each of us. It's more like we are functioning ecosystems rather than distinct beings. And you can move up from the individual and see groups of people and study the behavior of that and you can get lost in where exactly is "personhood". I used to get lost in that a lot. :P