Why Are Aspies Suspicious Everyone Is Lying About Autism?

Page 5 of 12 [ 192 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2016, 2:03 pm

People may see fine but it doesn't mean they are nor does it mean they haven't had a difficult life. People learn to adjust, you are only seeing them briefly, not 24/7 so you wouldn't see their moments. Online you only see text, not them as a person so you can't really tell. Also you have no idea if someone is in therapy even though they seem fine.

Temple Grandin is an example of who had adjusted and she lives a normal life and acts very normal but yet she is still autistic. She has learn to adjust and given how old she is, she has had that many years of growing. Her life doesn't seem to be difficult she's lived and she seemed to have a normal childhood based on what she's written. She did have a wealthy family and her mom paid for private school where the classrooms were real small and she had a social circle of friends until puberty. She still had her "tantrums" and didn't get punished for them if they were caused by sensory. She was allowed to be autistic for one day but the rest of the time she was expected to be social and eat at the table with her family and use table manners. It's pretty easy to forget she had autism when she mentions all the normal stuff and learning social rules and testing her limits to see what she is allowed to do and to figure out the rules and getting her two bullies into trouble by lying to a teacher about who trashed her yard when in fact it was her and her friend that did it because they didn't like the teacher for some reason. All normal kid stuff.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2016, 3:02 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
underwater wrote:
Aniihya wrote:
Just because you dont believe that something doesnt occur doesnt mean that it is so. There may be such people on WP, however most people on WP dont believe anyone would lie about themselves. However outside of the US, there are countries who pay up to two grand a month to someone diagnosed with aspergers if their symptoms prove difficulty in finding and keeping a job. There are people who can act well enough to pass as autistic for their eval. In other places people self dx to either gain sympathy or an oppressed status. Tumblr and FB are where the wannabes occur the most while WP it is hard to tell or occurs rather seldom.

But how does being active on an internet platform translate into a dx? Call me naive, but I didn't think psychologists/psychiatrist were wont to base their diagnosis on someone's blog or WP activity?

Also, wouldn't a person who acted their way into a dx try to sit still in the boat? The more activity, the more likely to get caught.

As for sympathy and oppressed status.......yes, but I doubt there are a lot of them. It's like that peculiar lady who started pretending she was black while working for a black people's organization. Certainly some personal tragedy involved in that story, which is why I felt horrified at the abuse that was doled out to her. As a lot of people have mentioned, someone pretending to be autistic can't be in their right mind. So I figured in the event that someone is not really autistic, they are either mentally ill or making an honest mistake, and I certainly wouldn't want to throw rocks at either group. In either case, they will find out the truth eventually.

Hell, I might not be autistic. I just took a bunch of tests, spent a year researching (as in reading obsessively) before signing up for WP. I still can't see myself from outside. But the diagnosis feels like a really well-fitting sock. I tried going to some ADHD platforms because I think I have some of that too, but it seems less relevant, and some things I have a hard time relating to.

(Of course I just said that to cover up the real reason: Ezra) :lol:

I don't get where this idea comes from that if someone is at the stage of 'self diagnoses' they must be searching for sympathy or trying to gain oppressed status(whatever that is). Before I got an official diagnoses I was 'self diagnosed' my sister mentioned aspergers so I looked into it, and even the therapist I was seeing thought it was the case but therapists can't really diagnose. I thought it was most likely as it seemed to explain some of the difficulties and experiences in my life a lot better than anything else.

Before I concluded I had aspergers, I thought I was just a stupid idiot who failed at everything and that I was completely worthless and didn't give a damn about my own well-being for the most part.

The really funny bit is when you go from being self-diagnosed to properly diagnosed, and then what, did you just have personality transplant? It reminds me of the magical disappearance of autism at the age of 18 :D

I think we have a hard time imagining doing something like that because we by definition have a lot of integrity. I think I would spontaneously combust if I were to do something like, say, join a bipolar club and fish for sympathy. Then I'd be fishing for sympathy for a fictional character, and that would hardly be heart-warming, would it?

Anyway I don't even know why fishing for sympathy on a blog or a forum is such a crime. I don't really feel offended by it.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2016, 3:21 pm

foxfield wrote:
To answer the original question: I admit I do get suspicious of people who don't give off the impression of being "damaged by life". You can generally tell people who have had a difficult life, just by the way they are. People who are perhaps a little too well adjusted and confident, I am somewhat suspicious of... after all autism does cause people significant problems.

I also get suspicious of people who don't seem to be highly alert/disturbed by their surroundings, yet claim sensory sensitivity. There is definitely something off there. You can generally tell sensorily sensitive people by the way they react to things around them.

I don't think people generally lie about autism consciously, in order for cynical personal gain. But I do think a lot of people self diagnose mistakenly, because they just don't realise that others experience things much worse than they do.

Disclaimer: Ironically Im not actually officially diagnosed with autism, so feel free to take what I say with a pinch of salt.

I don't really agree with this. The reason for it is that I know people IRL who tick all the boxes, yet are well functioning and have escaped a lot of the drama. I've had much more trouble in my life, but then I asked for more from the world.

If I were to say why this person is so well adjusted, I'd mention a really positive family environment with a lot of acceptance and help; some lucky accidents in the social circle, and a general lack of emotional sensitivity. I think there is a huge difference between the emotionally flat autistics and the hyperempathic lot. Intelligence helps.

Also, the profile of sensitivities will define a person's life. My pet theory is that sound sensitivity and severe food issues are the worst; sounds are by their nature intrusive (and yes, I've been reading up on this stuff), and severely restricted eating can damage someone's health. Light sensitivity, which is my biggest problem, can be mitigated more easily without restricting one's social life.

I am very aware that a lot of people are worse off than me. I am also becoming aware that there are a lot of people out there who don't have the struggles I have, not by far.

AdamLain
Raven
Raven

09 Aug 2016, 4:55 pm

League_Girl wrote:
BTDT wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_Grandin
This claims that Temple Grandin wasn't formally diagnosed until her 40s.

Despite her family having a ton of money for special services and educational opportunities that most parents would love to have today.

I read she was two when diagnosed, then I read she was 14, and now it says she was in her 40's. She even wrote in one of her books that she was 12 when she was told she was autistic and the first thing she thought was "So that is what's different about me." It sounded like she didn't ask any questions or ask what it was or ask how it fits her.

Temple Grandin doesn't really do much for Autism Awareness, she makes people with Autism look strange. She isn't very relatable to the general public, therefore ineffective for marketing.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2016, 4:59 pm

To answer the original question: I think only a minority of aspies are suspicious that there are vast numbers of folks lying about being aspie/autie.

Once in a blue moon you see some troubled soul on WP raging about how "most of you here on WP are fakers!", or "why doesnt Alex use real aspies in his videos?" because they think that just because someone can be poised in front of a camera that they cant be an aspie, or mention having a job, or a spouse, in a post ( and the complainer doesnt have a job or a spouse) .

But the minority who do that kind of ranting do so because they dont realize that autism is a spectrum, and also they dont know whats below the tip of the iceberg in the life of someone who seems more successful than they are in some narrow part of life. They dont know the difficulties that these folks they envy may have gone through.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 09 Aug 2016, 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AdamLain
Raven
Raven

09 Aug 2016, 5:10 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Aspergers/Autism has been the seen as a "disease of the month" for probably two decades now. I mostly agree with above reasoning. The truthful cliche "If you tell a lie often enough people will believe it" applies here. People in thier 20's who have been told they are part of a fad or a scam their whole life are going naturally start looking for the supposed fakers and wanabees who have invalidated thier struggles instead of putting the blame where it belongs, those spreading these myths. Once you start looking you can start seeing "them" everywhere.

The undiagnosed missing older generations have been told similar things there whole life they are weak, lazy excuse making losers. The only logical explanation at the time was charactor flaws. Then an explanation that makes sense arrives. Acceptence, relief, increased self esteem follows. Some overcompensation in the form of supremisicm and retro diagnoses occurs. And here comes threads that mimic what they have been told thier whole by seeming ungreatful mellenials who are seemingly judging them based on the extremists. That obvoiusly does not go over well. Us older people start to see every post with this theme as yet just another accusation against us same old, same old. Sometimes these threads are really just about a few idiots on tumbler.

I think some of you believe it's the "disease of the month" because you forget that you are egocentric and think other people care about your issues more than they really do. Basically in one way or another you think you're "the person of the month".

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

09 Aug 2016, 5:14 pm

There is an issue of self-diagnosis in general, go read the symptoms of any number of conditions many much less vague than the all encompassing Autism spectrum and then see how many things you've diagnosed yourself with. It's confirmation bias, it's hypochondria, I don't know. I think there is also a difference between those that self-diagnose because of lack of means to get real one(as would be the case with many of the older posters) and those that self-diagnose and apparently don't need a real DX, some people really don't seem like they have anything in common. The whole idea of a spectrum is disturbing since that would mean everybody is on it to some varying degree, that is not a distinction that needs to be made and I think deprives attention away from the people with real issues and those with a label. We all know there is a severe end but what about the opposite?

AdamLain
Raven
Raven

09 Aug 2016, 5:43 pm

BirdInFlight wrote:
AdamLain -- did you post the wrong quote when you posted mine and said you don't see my point? The reason I ask is that I'm one of the ones who are in complete agreement with you on this thread. It doesn't "matter so much to me" at all -- that was someone else on the thread who finds it matters to him if someone only read a Wiki page, not me.

I too ask why so many people on the spectrum think others are lying. I then gave the story of my personal journey with being an older person who found out late and got diagnosed later in life. I told my story to illustrate that I'm quite the opposite of one of the trend-seekers -- which is what the suspicious aspies accuse "new aspies" of being.

If you need further clarification please let me know. I'm with you on your original question, not against you.

Sorry I think I hit the quote button on the wrong post, it was supposed to be a response to someone who was saying you could never know you have Asperger's by reading things online.

AdamLain
Raven
Raven

09 Aug 2016, 6:13 pm

AdamLain wrote:
BirdInFlight wrote:
AdamLain -- did you post the wrong quote when you posted mine and said you don't see my point? The reason I ask is that I'm one of the ones who are in complete agreement with you on this thread. It doesn't "matter so much to me" at all -- that was someone else on the thread who finds it matters to him if someone only read a Wiki page, not me.

I too ask why so many people on the spectrum think others are lying. I then gave the story of my personal journey with being an older person who found out late and got diagnosed later in life. I told my story to illustrate that I'm quite the opposite of one of the trend-seekers -- which is what the suspicious aspies accuse "new aspies" of being.

If you need further clarification please let me know. I'm with you on your original question, not against you.

Sorry I think I hit the quote button on the wrong post, it was supposed to be a response to someone who was saying you could never know you have Asperger's by reading things online.

Wait, that was the right quote, I guess the way you worded it seemed to have a different meaning. Was it supposed to be a sarcastic post?

SSmith44
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Aug 2016, 6:46 pm

Because there are lots of idiots on the internet such as ones who make youtube videos that diagnose themselves, and they make lists of famous people with autism or Asperger's who were never tested for the condition.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2016, 7:53 pm

AdamLain wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Aspergers/Autism has been the seen as a "disease of the month" for probably two decades now. I mostly agree with above reasoning. The truthful cliche "If you tell a lie often enough people will believe it" applies here. People in thier 20's who have been told they are part of a fad or a scam their whole life are going naturally start looking for the supposed fakers and wanabees who have invalidated thier struggles instead of putting the blame where it belongs, those spreading these myths. Once you start looking you can start seeing "them" everywhere.

The undiagnosed missing older generations have been told similar things there whole life they are weak, lazy excuse making losers. The only logical explanation at the time was charactor flaws. Then an explanation that makes sense arrives. Acceptence, relief, increased self esteem follows. Some overcompensation in the form of supremisicm and retro diagnoses occurs. And here comes threads that mimic what they have been told thier whole by seeming ungreatful mellenials who are seemingly judging them based on the extremists. That obvoiusly does not go over well. Us older people start to see every post with this theme as yet just another accusation against us same old, same old. Sometimes these threads are really just about a few idiots on tumbler.

I think some of you believe it's the "disease of the month" because you forget that you are egocentric and think other people care about your issues more than they really do. Basically in one way or another you think you're "the person of the month".

I have never seen it as the disease of the month but I have read articles from as far back as the '90's from proffessionals saying in one way or another it is a fad diagnosis.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2016, 8:21 pm

jcfay wrote:
I guess I'm really glad that I'm not on FB, or wherever else people are having problems. But as someone new here can I ask why anyone who wouldn't be diagnosable who claims they are ANYWHERE is a problem? I like myself but I'd be very happy not to have the symptoms I have (not that I'd be willing to give up other parts of me). So I'm baffled that people would misrepresent themselves, intentionally, to others about ASD. Moreover I'm baffled why it matters. What are they doing that is harmful to those who are legitimately on the spectrum? I'm new so apologies if I'm missing something big here.

The theory is that the fakers do two things
1. Make the outside world think Autism is a fake or fad disease.
2. Since the fake self dx'rs are entitled brats who are not impaired most people will think of "real autistics" as also special snowflakes.

According to the theory because of these misconceptions caused by the wanabees those whom are "real autistics" will be judged as using thier label to get benifits they do not deserve, as using thier fad disease as a crutch and to make excuses and so on. The impairments and struggles of "real autistcs" will not get understood and believed.

My take is that the misperceptions of widespread fakery is causing the suspicion of autistics by autisics as noted by the title of the thread, is causing some NT's to judge us as noted above, and may be causing under and misdiagnosis.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AdamLain
Raven
Raven

09 Aug 2016, 8:49 pm

SSmith44 wrote:
Because there are lots of idiots on the internet such as ones who make youtube videos that diagnose themselves, and they make lists of famous people with autism or Asperger's who were never tested for the condition.

And there are lots of Aspies who talk about drawing attention for Autism Awareness, then don't understand things such as marketing in a way to make the cause appealing to the general public, ie... finding famous people to come out of the closet and in turn give the average person a reason to care about Autism. I guess some people use logic to reason and some use emotion. :roll:

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2016, 4:20 am

AdamLain wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Hell, yeah! I keep feeling confused about this. Perhaps it's different in the US, but where I live, most people have no opinion about autism. The only times I've heard people discuss it is when they actually have to deal with a person with autism. Otherwise it doesn't register.

There is a bit of a debate going on about overdiagnosis of ADHD, particularly as it is becoming known that a lot of ADHD-like symptoms can be caused by trauma. In any case, numbers of ADHD diagnoses vastly outnumber ASD diagnoses, so there is probably some cause for concern.

One thing one has to keep in mind is the role of the media. They like to make a huge affair about some medical diagnosis or other, then a lot of people freak out and think they have it, and then the media start attacking the same people they've been manipulating for being hysterical and imagining things. I have to avoid gluten because of GI issues, and I've been watching the Gluten Free rollercoaster for a few years. It really is a circus, and the losers are the general public, who are being divided into camps of "gluten is dangerous" and "everybody is imagining it".

I follow the blog of a doctor who is herself diagnosed with celiac. She is really good at posting links to new and relevant research. In her last post, she mentioned a really interesting experience she had. She joined a discussion forum for doctors. At some point they started discussing the topic of patients who have a wide array of vague symptoms. She said the majority of doctors believed that these symptoms were of psychological origin, and would send those patients on to psychologists for stress management, prescribe calming medications, mindfulness, that sort of thing. In the end she felt obliged to share her experience, having tried all the psychological crap for years without getting any results, and then going on to get tested for celiac. She said she eventually made contact with other doctors who suffered from chronic and misunderstood diseases. See www.thepatientceliac.com.

The interesting thing is the number of negative comments she received after posting. One would think that a group of doctors with bona fide medical diagnoses would perhaps be able to open other doctors' minds to the possibility that there is something that they don't know - but that seems not to be the case. People are emotional. Sometimes the reluctance to dig deeper is really just laziness and a need to feel superior.

People with mild ASD will run into this mindset a lot, because they are the same as these "crazy" patients - having a bunch of seemingly unrelated issues that not only seem to be stress related, but actually are - just not in the way the doctors think. Also, since ASD people have more autoimmune diseases than the general public, there can be a double whammy, since a lot of autoimmune diseases have vague and seemingly unrelated symptoms. On top of that there is the gender issue of women being underdiagnosed and having more autoimmune diseases than males.

I know I attributed my sensitivities to physical illness. It was only when I got well and the sensitivities didn't go away that I started looking for answers.

I suspect that some kids have mistakenly been dx'ed with autism, but that it is hardly a large number. And that a lot of the resistance comes from lack of empathy, not from any scientific rigorousness. Because when you recognize a problem, you have to help, right? If you don't recognize, then you don't have to help.

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a village in La Mancha whose name I cannot recall

10 Aug 2016, 4:47 am

These topics touch a deep wound in many of us.

Mother Teresa said it best

"Loneliness and the feeling of being unwanted is the most terrible poverty."

Not Diagnosed and Not Sure

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2016, 6:25 am

To AdamLain -- no I wasn't being sarcastic in that post at all, in fact I was responding not to you but to another member, and having a brief conversation with him as he is often one of the people who treat others with the kid of suspicion your original post is asking about. He was giving his reasons why he is suspicious, I responded to him, and in my post I quoted sentences and terms he had used in order to make my own points -- and my own points are the opposite view to his, namely that I can't see why people would fake this and I haven't noticed an awful lot of the type of fakers on WP that that other member I was responding to has seen.

To clarify where I stand on all this:

I too, like you, notice that a lot of aspies are suspicious that everyone is lying about autism (thus I sympathize with your posting this thread)

I too feel this suspicion is not a nice thing to run across.

I tend to notice it seems like the suspicious people who think others are fakers base this suspicion on flimsy assumptions, such as mentioned not far up-thread: things like, that someone "seems" unimpaired just from the way they post, etc, or simply that they think it's a fad of the week/year/decade.

I wasn't being sarcastic, I was responding to someone who is themselves often sarcastic and was quoting some things that person talked about.