Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Deb1970
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2016, 10:23 pm

I really wish I had at least 1 true friend. Life being alone is not what I want. People have been so mean toward me and I find it hard to meet people who can understand me. I'm getting old and I'm alone with my dog and cats. When I need help with things I have only my mom to help me and she now has cancer and won't be around much longer. I always ask myself how I can be so alone in a world with billions of people.

- Edgar Allan Poe -

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2016, 1:48 am

"Alone in a crowd" types of loneliness are the worst kinds, I think.

Do you have many opportunities to meet new people? (Or at least be around new people in a social setting?)

Love transcends all.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2016, 2:10 am

I don't know about a true friend or even if those truly exist much. I know of a middle aged man who goes to an easy going church for social contact and a little bit of help here and there. And also free douhnuts and coffee he says. Maybe some other kind of group setting? Voluntier help type thing?

The_Dark_Citadel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Aug 2016, 10:43 am

Maybe others who share a special interest, even if you only meet online.

RabidFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Aug 2016, 12:08 pm

Maybe you should volunteer for a job that takes multiple people to do. That would give you the opportunity to be around others that you are required to interact with. Over time, you may develop friendships. The more involved the job, the more likely you are to make deep connections with people.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2016, 1:44 pm

As shameful as it is for me to admit, my only friends over the past decade have been my parents, my niece and my two dogs, both of whom are now dead. I have now reached the conclusion that I am not programmed to have friends in the conventional sense. I cannot keep a conversation going, and I am too self-absorbed and insular to express a genuine interest in others. I frequently see how happy others are when they encounter someone they know, and it pains me that my reaction to such an occurrence is quite the opposite. I do not belong in this world, and in many respects long for the day that my life ends.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2016, 1:21 pm

I've had 0 friends IRL

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2016, 4:19 pm

I had a few friends when I was younger, one of whom I spent a lot of time with, but since then, most of my friends have moved away or lost contact with me. I find it harder to make friends at my age, because my conversational skills have plateaued while everyone else's have greatly matured to a level I won't be able to reach, and I have very different interests from most people, and it's hard to relate to people on all but the most insignificant things.

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2016, 6:17 pm

When you surrender yourself to people, you slaughter yourself to their indifference and, become more indigenous for it.

I'm the opposite of stage fright, but I often find people to much of a distraction at times, and to much to absorb, and I guess if I remained clever it would keep me going, but countless upheavals make for often depressing encounters even though it was you who they were keeping an eye on all along.

Spare me the details of a half eaten orchard that flourishes around all the edges but misses the part where the creases are folded over and over until there are no more creases left.