Where did Wrong Planet lose its autism?

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2016, 7:17 pm

Could somebody tell me where the Wrong Planet discussions about autism have gone? They appear to me to have been tossed down the memory hole and replaced with discussions about anything else.

Just wondering.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

goofygoobers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2016, 8:51 pm

I assume a lot of users on here get tired of talking about just autism and want to talk about other things in their lives. I don't talk about having Asperger's Syndrome on a constant basis and I don't expect others to do the same. I hope this answers your question.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2016, 9:00 pm

I'm not seeing a whole lot of that personally. Seems to me most original posts are tied to autism. Although sometimes whatever doesn't actually apply to autism. At least in General Autism Discussion, which is where I mostly hang out.

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2016, 9:37 pm

Is this a discussion on autism?

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2016, 11:18 pm

Well, feel free to page back to older topics and continue them. I'm sure others will reply also. I've seen people reply to years old topics, and brought them back into discussion.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2016, 11:45 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
Could somebody tell me where the Wrong Planet discussions about autism have gone? They appear to me to have been tossed down the memory hole and replaced with discussions about anything else.

Just wondering.

There are only about fifty autism related threads on this page alone. So WTF are you talking about?

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a village in La Mancha whose name I cannot recall

23 Aug 2016, 4:36 am

AspieUtah wrote:

Just wondering.

Not sure, I really miss the discussions about how people make changes to their lives and adapt to their impairments.

Personally, I've been working really hard on taking my blinders off and trying to see and feel the world more directly with my limited emotions. Practicing and using different facial expressions has yielded interesting results.

Not Diagnosed and Not Sure

somanyspoons
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2016, 7:08 am

^Those conversations aren't going on now because you haven't started them.

Be the change you want to see in the world - It's not just a catchy t-shirt slogan.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2016, 7:21 am

I'm not seeing what you're seeing, OP. There seems to be plenty of autism discussions started and ongoing, I don't notice any lack of people discussing general autism and their autism directly. If there was a "Huh?" or a "shrug" emoticon it would be here.

There have been more political discussions flying around, but that's to be expected in an election year in the US, and the year that Europe is having.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2016, 7:47 am

BirdInFlight wrote:
...There have been more political discussions flying around, but that's to be expected in an election year in the US, and the year that Europe is having.

Ding-ding-ding! You win. My complaint is that such discussions drive me away from Wrong Planet. Sure, I can engage with a few of them by introducing my political experiences of 35 years, but I don't come to WP to read about Trump, BLM, Hillary or random C-list celebrities chasing laughs by saying "f**k!" too much. As goatfish57 described well, I, too, “really miss the discussions about how people make changes to their lives and adapt to their impairments[,]” not the freewheeling cluster chats bent on increasing the shock value of WP.

And, yes, this is every bit as much a biennial occurrence at WP as are the elections underlying it all. None of the WP policies and rules would or should change this; it is free speech, of course. But, it seems to me that, every two years, this place gets very, very angry and hostile.

I wish we could lighten up and get back to a bigger focus on the one thing that brings us here.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2016, 7:57 am

My Dear Sir:

Alas, this is Politics!

I don't feel there is really true acrimony in the political discussions. I think all this is bluster and rhetoric.

It does get tiresome at times.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2016, 7:58 am

As I've won, can my prize be a new Prius, and I'd like that in custom blush pink, please! :P :lol:

I hear you about the political anger, and I've been sucked into that here myself I won't lie.

But the best thing to do is just avoid those topics and avoid the Politics boards. If you head straight for General Autism discussion, there are still lots of posts where people are asking autism related questions and others are providing answers and describing coping mechanisms. There's still tons and tons of that all around this site without looking too hard.

I tend to come here directly to "View New Posts" which does give a broad sweep of every sub-forum's most updated threads, and that will include things I don't want to visit, like Love & Dating topics or Politics.

But if you bookmark directly into the General Autism I don't think you'd be disappointed. Lots of autism conversation to be found.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2016, 8:10 am

BirdInFlight wrote:
As I've won, can my prize be a new Prius, and I'd like that in custom blush pink, please! :P :lol:

It is yours!

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2016, 8:13 am

AspieUtah wrote:
BirdInFlight wrote:

It is yours!
Ooh, Saturday delivery please! I'll be waiting! :lol: :lol: :lol:

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a village in La Mancha whose name I cannot recall

23 Aug 2016, 8:38 am

somanyspoons wrote:
^Those conversations aren't going on now because you haven't started them.

Be the change you want to see in the world - It's not just a catchy t-shirt slogan.

I tried many times. Those topics tend to go nowhere. It is not an easy subject to discuss. Giving advice, stating opinions or talking about troubles is much easier.

I am a problem solver by nature and training. Most people are not open to discuss specific things they have done to better fit in to our society.

One thing I do is to work on my facial expressions. This is tough, but it is very helpful.

Not Diagnosed and Not Sure

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2016, 8:54 am

I just went now to the View Posts Since Last Visit page, and here are some of the autism-related threads on there:

Right now on page 1 of latest posts, there a topic about:

people giving you the cold shoulder because of AS,

one asking for ways to cope with loneliness (largely AS driven),

about a manager at work asking someone to speak about AS to co-workers,

someone having AS driven sensory issues with coarse fabrics,

one about colors causing sensory issues,

another work related thread to do with issues that the OP's ASD and anxiety is causing at work,

an article about how neighbors are helping an autistic man fight his eviction,

a new book about neurodiversity,

a question about the benefit of disclosing AS in higher education,

a thread about going through denial of your AS --

I could go on, and that wasn't even all of page 1.

All of the above discuss a topic entirely revolving around ASD issues, and the discussions consist of people giving advice, sharing similar experiences, etc. There are ample discussions about autism related things; I'm honestly not seeing the lack here. :|