Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2016, 11:01 am

I told my boss, if I'm such a catastrophe, why don't you fire me instead of tormenting me all the time? She said "I have to think about it". What does she need to think?

RabidFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Aug 2016, 11:40 am

Sounds like she is making a joke.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2016, 2:35 pm

Don't EVER take anything management says as a joke! If s/he is thinking about telling you "don't let the door hit you where the Good Lord split you", start looking for another job, NOW! Even then, it may be too late, and you're screwed!

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2016, 2:48 pm

Yes, I'll just have to be less lazy and start looking for a job and not think about this one, consider it history.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2016, 3:43 pm

Moondust wrote:
I told my boss, if I'm such a catastrophe, why don't you fire me instead of tormenting me all the time?
In most US states, if you quit, they don't have to pay you unemployment benefits. But if they fire you for anything except gross misconduct, even for bad performance, they still have to pay your benefits. They don't want to do that. So they keep tormenting you, to push you into quitting.

My advice: Do not quit! Don't do anything that looks like misconduct, obviously. But don't try to "improve performance" or "prove your good name", either. They don't care, they really don't. Just coast along until they fire you, because that's they'll do it no matter what.

There's also something called "constructive termination". You can claim they created an environment so hostile that quitting was your only option. But it's very difficult for the employee to prove, especially for us aspies. Your boss will fight it tooth and nail. So don't even try claiming constructive termination. Wait to be fired.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2016, 4:14 pm

How long have you been employed at this place?

If at least 18 months, then Aspie 1's advice is excellent

If less than a year, Aspie 1's advice is still pretty good....but you wouldn't get much in unemployment benefits.

Either way, make sure you don't "burn bridges" so you can at least get a decent reference from your boss.

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2016, 4:32 pm

I don't need a reference from her, I have glowing references from previous jobs and bosses, and I've been here for 9 months only, which in my country qualifies me for unemployment money from the gov't and the company pays nothing. They also don't pay severance because they pay a monthly insurance fee for that. But they know how desperate you are for a termination letter to get money from the gov't, so they'll make you suffer for it if you piss them off. I'm not worried because they'll give the letter to me in the end, since I have written proof that I was badly psychologically harassed by 2 colleagues and they don't want a lawsuit for doing nothing about it (bullying a co worker in the workplace is illegal in my country and employers get heavy fines unless they have written proof that they were successful at stopping it).

I told her to either stop tormenting me with how bad I am at the job or fire me, and that if she decides to fire me I'll stay till a new employee is all trained and ready to replace me. Her answer was that she's not able to change her (tormenting) personality and that she needs to think about my offer. My question is: what does she need to think about???? She can't continue tormenting me because I don't even say hello to her, and I told her that I won't let her talk to me unless it's respectfully, so she can't torment me anymore. The only option she does (since she says she can't change) is to fire me. So what does she need to think about?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2016, 4:36 pm

She needs to "think about it" because of the legal ramifications you stated.

I'm not taking to "hear her side of the story," so to speak.

I just think that's probably the reason.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2016, 4:49 pm

Moondust wrote:
My question is: what does she need to think about???? She can't continue tormenting me because I don't even say hello to her, and I told her that I won't let her talk to me unless it's respectfully, so she can't torment me anymore. The only option she does (since she says she can't change) is to fire me. So what does she need to think about?
It sounds like you're not from the US, so I don't know your country's laws. But I still think your company has to deal with less hassles if you quit, than if they fire you. So they're trying to push you into quitting. Don't let them win.

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2016, 5:01 pm

What makes them think they're pushing me to leave? I'm having a great time, doing just a little work in order not to get too bored, and surfing the web... She can't complain because I won't listen. I could continue like this forever...

TheBadguy
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Aug 2016, 7:41 pm

Moondust wrote:
What makes them think they're pushing me to leave? I'm having a great time, doing just a little work in order not to get too bored, and surfing the web... She can't complain because I won't listen. I could continue like this forever...

If you're not doing your work, your management has every right to complain. How about you explain the full story bout your work issue instead of giving us half of it? Also, why isn't this in the Work Job Section of Wrongplanet?