Page 1 of 8 [ 123 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

TheBadguy
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Aug 2016, 4:53 pm

I love cooking. I'm always learning new recipes, and I have been complimented many times before. I am the guy who comes to a pot luck, always promises the roommates I'll bring some back for them, but there is never any leftovers afterward.

I have been told by many I should have went to culinary school, :roll:

Difference between the Food Industry and my kitchen. I can take as long as I want in my kitchen and often take things in steps, that I otherwise could not in the food industry. The food industry is too fast paced and beyond that, culinary school often strips away individual identity with food and only teaches you the techniques that are considered "standard".

I don't cook standard. I experiment. I like to experiment. I like to do the things other people would not do.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2016, 4:59 pm

I can cook simple meals, but all other cooking I cannot even though I want to learn how.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2016, 9:20 pm

I learned to cook not too long ago--I'm in my 50s. :D

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2016, 6:10 am

Yes. I've been often and repeatedly told by several different people that I'm an amazing cook.
It sometimes seems like it's the only thing I am able to do. It's such a damn shame that commercial cookery is such a hostile, and especially autistically hostile, job or I would be awesomely employed.
However I have very stringent restrictions, like many autistics, on what I eat so my cook a very specific kind of cuisine and part of that is my focal special interest.

The_Dark_Citadel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Aug 2016, 9:24 am

Yes. If you want the house well done or burnt to a crisp.

ouroborosUK
Toucan
Toucan

25 Aug 2016, 9:28 am

Yes. I like it. I'm not a fantastic, adventurous cook, but I can cook classic family dishes from my country correctly, and I'm also good with a variety of asian (especially thai) cooking.

It allows me to focus on something interesting and pleasing and I find it quite relaxing.

On the other hand, I have much trouble at cooking with someone. Helping someone cook (slicing vegetables, watching over something on the fire, etc.) and following his/her directions is fine, but really collaborating is challenging; we keep disagreeing on how any specific thing should be done optimally :)

A bit obsessed with vocabulary, semantics and using the right words. Sorry if it is a concern. It's the way I think, I am not hair-splitting or attacking you.

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Aug 2016, 10:14 am

I love cooking and baking. It's one the only complex activities that I can do and enjoy doing.
But I still need to write down what I need to do and set up alarms if I don't want to put the house on fire :lol:

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2016, 10:33 am

Hell, no

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2016, 10:36 am

EzraS wrote:
Good grief no.
It's best if I don't even try making myself a sandwich.
Or even a bowl of cereal for that matter.

:(^ Pretty much

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

25 Aug 2016, 10:36 am

Yes, and very well. It's a learning and a fun experience for someone like myself at the same time. :D

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2016, 10:43 am

Someone mentioned baking -- now there's something I'm slightly happier to do, rather than cooking. I can't stand to be cooking but for some reason I don't mind the experience of baking. I enjoy baking, although still not enough to actually do it much.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

25 Aug 2016, 11:12 am

I can cook, I just don't that often anymore living by myself. Just don't have the energy to clean the dishes, prepare the food, and put it away. Half the time I don't eat, I eat a lot of easier junky food just for the energy but I've lost a lot of weight since living alone.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2016, 11:37 am

I LOVE to cook, and am told I'm good at it! I learned the basics from my aunt, and in Home Ec. I furthered my education just by..... Like, when I went to a church dinner, or someone's house, I would take note of what I was eating; then, I go-home and make it----that's how I got my chicken casserole, and Meat and Potato Pie "recipes" (they're not actually recipes, cuz I just winged-it), and people were always asking me for my chicken casserole.

One thing that I learned about cooking, is that you don't really need a recipe----you can just throw stuff together, that you like; also, don't be afraid to use something already made, and put it together with something else (like, I put chicken breasts in the crockpot with Pace Picante Sauce----it's BEYOND fabulous, and people will think you made a WONDERFUL meal [just don't let 'em look in your garbage! LOL]).

Another easy thing is Pudding Pie----get a Ready-Made crust, and 2 packages of Quick-set pudding, that you like; all you have to do is add the amount of milk that it says, on the package, stir for, like, 2 minutes (whatever it says on the package), then dump it in the crust, put the lid on (comes inverted in the crust, when you buy it), then throw it (not literally) in the fridge----people will think you're BRILLIANT!! I got real adventurous, after I learned that trick, and now I make a Peppermint Patty Pie, that everybody wants, every Christmas. Same steps as above----2 packages of vanilla pudding, some green food coloring, a splash of good, REAL peppermint extract, and a chocolate crust----FABULOUS!! I've even put semi-sweet chocolate drops, in there!! I've also made it with ONE package of chocolate fudge pudding, and ONE package of vanilla (follow the directions above, for the vanilla part), let them set a little, then swirled them together, for a "marble" pie. There's so many different kinds of pudding, you could, almost, never run-out of ideas!! Another one I do, is banana "cream" pie----banana pudding with slices of bananas, in a graham cracker crust----FABULOUS!!

I'm thinking if you start-out with these "cheats", you'll get some confidence, and try MORE stuff!!

I've never been / WANTED to be a baker----and finally, I figured-out WHY..... It's because it's too precise, for me----there's no "just throw stuff together", in baking, IMO (unless you REALLY know what you're doing), you have to actually follow a recipe, and that's VERY difficult for me. I decided I was going to conquer it; and now, it's much easier. I usually have to read everything about 3 times----once, to see what-all I need, secondly to make sure I read it correctly, then the third time, right before I dump it in the bowl. It's time-consuming----and, I've found there's no "Oh, I got this"; cuz just as soon as I take THAT attitude, I don't take as great care, and almost ALWAYS, screw-up.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2016, 12:03 pm

I know how to make pasta with beef stew, at least.

That aside, I'm not too keen on cooking, but I know how to cook basic meals. Sometimes, though, I like to improvise with how I season the meat for the beef stew.

Lazershow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

25 Aug 2016, 1:13 pm

I cant cook at all. I am trying to learn though as i feel that it would be a very good skill to have as a continue with my life.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2016, 9:54 pm

I didn't start cooking until I was 22. I just cook simple things like rice and beans, spaghetti and scrambled eggs