Page 4 of 8 [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2016, 9:00 am

I can cook anything I wish to cook. In high school, I took foods class. The teacher didn't just recite recipes and turn us loose. She drilled into us the idea of the chemistry behind good cooking. Somehow, it stuck with me. Now, knowing the chemical reactions, I can usually cook without any recipes or other instructions.

I appreciate the teach and the class.

But, I do fall back on quick (microwave) cooking when life gets chaotic.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2016, 3:37 pm

I like cooking a lot, because the food I cook for myself tastes way better than most other food.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2016, 4:44 pm

Yep, and I enjoy it too.

I'm probably the last person in the civilised world who doesn't own a microwave.

AlexisToosey
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

31 Mar 2019, 1:50 pm

I love to cook, I will be happy to recommend you many recipes.

I really like spicy food, especially french fries, every day I cook it using a toaster oven, it is a good fryer I bought a couple of days ago, I read reviews about it at toaster ovens reviews , I think you will like it too, was happy to share .

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2019, 2:22 pm

Yes

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2019, 3:50 pm

If it's simple I'm ok. The more complicated it is the more I struggle.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2019, 4:00 pm

Yes. It's one of my favorite things to do. Many years ago I lived in apartments that had natural gas stoves. I learned to cook on them. They are superior to electric stoves and I hope before I did that I can live somewhere with a gas stove again.

Today I've been making:

Slow cooker: pork spare ribs with sauerkraut.
Warm German potato salad
Braised Swiss chard.
I mixed up some coarse ground mustard, but that won't technically be ready for two weeks.
I baked chocolate chip cookies last night which will be dessert.

There will be six of us dining in an hour.

I adapt/modify recipes all the time, but I also like to follow recipes to a letter if I'm unfamiliar with the dish. Following a recipe is following a list of rules with a positive outcome and reward at the end of the process. That's one of the things I like about cooking.

WildColonial
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2019, 4:06 pm

I’ve been comfortable in the kitchen since I was tall enough to see over the counter. I can even cook meat reasonably well, despite being vegetarian and trying to go vegan.

“‘Why was I chosen?’ ‘Such questions cannot be answered,’ said Gandalf. ‘You may be sure that it was not for any merit that others do not possess: not for power or wisdom, at any rate. But you have been chosen, and you must therefore use such strength and heart and wits as you have.’”

AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Mar 2019, 5:31 pm

Cooking is one of the areas in which my executive functioning problems come into play. I have trouble with the level of uncertainty involved in cooking most things. Example: When I'm helping my mom cook dinner, and she asks me to check to see if something in the oven is done, this is the conversation repeated verbatim:
"How do I know if they're done?"
"They'll be brown."
"But they started out brown."
"They'll be browner."
"How brown?"
"...Well, if they're firm, they're done."
"How firm?"
"Can you bend them easily?"
"How easily?"
And then my mom will just check them herself (this is why I'm delegated to chopping and washing exclusively). If the steps involved are black and white (cereal, sandwiches, etc.) then I'm fine, but if it's more complex I'm pretty much useless. I don't know how to function if I'm expected to make judgments based on unclear criteria. I just can't proceed if I'm uncertain about how to do something, and I can't figure it out on my own without very clear-cut rules.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2019, 6:19 pm

I have been enjoying it a lot more and am getting more comfortable in the kitchen.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2019, 6:26 pm

If my VR agent determines I am eligible to move into a group home, I will learn how to improve my culinary skills.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2019, 7:35 pm

When I was 18, I baked bread, scones, pancakes, taro root

Easy s**t

Have not touched the stove for a long time

Almost everything eaten raw or microwave

Waste a couple of dollars a day on food

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2019, 7:55 pm

AceofPens wrote:
"How do I know if they're done?"

With meat, I use a quick read thermometer and memorize target temperatures for "doneness"

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2019, 9:20 pm

I think I can probably cook most things if given a detailed recipe, except for super fancy/complex dishes where I don't know what half the directions mean. If left without a recipe, I don't think I could manage much more than macaroni and cheese, although I do at least know how to make the kind that doesn't come from a box.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2019, 11:33 pm

i can boil water which goes a long way towards making something on the stovetop.

graceksjp
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 1:23 am

I wish I could cook. I can boil water so.....PASTA :mrgreen:
Honestly, microwaving works for me. Im too lazy to cook