Page 7 of 8 [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 11:25 am

Except for special occasions, I only use one pot, adding ingredients at the right time for all cooking to finish simultaneously. Rice and lentils can boil together, and when the water level drops below the solids, you can steam veggies on top. Then, to use the leftover rice, you steam veggies with just a bit of water, and put the rice on top to re-warm.
For pasta, I weigh the solids and use just enough water to cook them with no draining to loose nutrients. The veggies go on top, with either "Italian seasoning" and olive oil mix or tomato sauce. Stir just enough to prevent sticking, leaving the pasta in the water as long as possible. As the cooking finishes, I cut up a green onion to go on top, raw.
Any frozen veggies go in last. I recently learned to cut up the mushrooms first, and saute them in the bottom of the pot while I chop the other veggies, since I was adding oil anyway. I can't stand restaurants, so I can do all this in my car, too.

skiddlebugz
Toucan
Toucan

11 Jul 2019, 2:38 pm

I like to cook every once in awhile, but for some reason I get easily overwhelmed by all the tasks I have to do. I decide to not do it because it's so overwhelming to where i'm on edge of tears or yelling at someone in my family when they correct me. :(

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 2:49 pm

For jobs I do infrequently, using a checklist is a great way to reduce anxiety. The more I use it, the less I need it.

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 4:28 pm

I can cook a few things (Tacos, Hamburgers, Eggs), but I’m no pro. I’m good at following clear instructions though, so if you put a recipe in front of me it wouldn’t take me too long to figure out. But I can’t bake to save my life.

#palestinianlivesmatter

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 4:30 pm

I can't cook

But plenty of neurotypical can't cook either

Not enough practice

Lazy and apathetic

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 2:02 am

I'm not normally a fan of thread necromancy, but it is admittedly cool to read about what I was cooking back in 2016. Sangria berry compote? I have no memory of this meal, but it sounds worth repeating.

SuSaNnA
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Jul 2019, 2:57 am

What? I never struggled with cooking. I've always found cooking easy.
I cook for myself all the time and used to cook for my ex-boyfriend.

I've seen a lot of NT's struggle with cooking too.
========

Tips:
Don't use fire if you don't have to. There are many alternatives to fire.
I personally use electric hot pots and electric steamers. The steamer has an internal timer and will switch off once the time is up.
The electric hot pot has a temperature sensor and will automotically shut off if it gets too hot.

Use recent inventions smartly, and don't force yourself to use outdated ways!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 4:16 am

i'm fairly impatient regarding food, i need to feed me but i don't wanna work too hard or spend too much time on it. multi-step recipes with subclauses are not for me. the most i will do is make a broth out of accumulated can washings, add a protein or two, some tomato sauce, some spices, some various veggies, some chopped onions and garlic for savoriness, brown rice or quinoa, put the pot on the burner and cook the dickens outta it for about 4 hours until it is a mush. it will last me about 2 days.

Muia
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Jul 2019, 8:57 am

I can cook but I'm very methodical and take my time. I enjoy food and other sensory things too (music, the outdoors).

You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

RAADS-R SCORE: 148

AQ score: 39

EQ score: 20

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 9:24 am

I'm getting better at multitasking. Cooking several things at once. Or filling my pill reminder or washing the dishes when I have a few spare minutes.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 9:47 am

Cooking is a special interest of mine and the only special interest that has been with me consistently throughout my life unlike other special interests that have peaked and faded. My Mom taught me a few basic cooking skills when I was around 10 and let me learn on my own. I got kid centered cookbooks from the library and I learned from those. I still like looking at cookbooks. The first real thing I cooked was sauteed mushrooms with fresh chives in a sour cream and butter sauce. It was very good.

Thanksgiving is my most favorite cooking opportunity and I cook the entire meal and all the side dishes from scratch myself. I've cooked this for up to 13 people. I routinely cook for my family. Between my wife and I, I cook far more often than she does.

I consider myself more of a food experimenter than a "cook or chef". I've had a very nice German ceramic crock for many years and made my own sauerkraut and kimchi long before fermentables were the "in thing" to work with.

I've made my own soy milk, tofu, seitan (aka "mock duck"), yogurt, canned salsa, canned meats, sausages, smoked foods, breads, etc.

Some of my favorite cooking utensils: Cast iron! I have a small vintage Wagner brand cast iron skillet that has a glass smooth cooking surface along with other cast iron cookware including a dutch oven that's great for braising and baking "no knead" crusty breads. I very good vegetable peeler, garlic press, decent kitchen knives, a kitchen-aid mixer including meat grinder and grain mill attachments, food processor and something we've had for over ten years that still gets daily use (smoothies mainly), our Vitamix blender.

Another fermentable I've started making again after first doing it many years ago is making "rejuvelac". I bought a clearance cookbook about twenty years ago for a dollar that was all about raw foods and the recipe with in that. You take 1 cup of any kind of whole grain such as wheat, oats, rye, barley and you rinse them and then soak them in water for 24 hours. Then rinse and add 4 cups of water and keep the jar on the counter or in a cupboard and let it sit for a day. Pour off that liquid and drink it (rejuvelac) and refill the jar with another 4 cups of water and let it sit for another day. Pour that off and drink it and then repeat the process one more time. The rejuvelac is slightly tart and sometimes slightly effervescent. People either like it or they don't. It tastes better than it smells.

As you can see, I can go on and on about cooking in have to watch this when talking to someone because it's hard for me to stop....

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 4:35 pm

^
Very nice post :thumright:

I'm also quite passionate about cooking and a cast-iron fanatic!

FirstSpringFlower
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Apr 2020, 3:53 am

I prefer to eat out rather than cook because I get so into my special interests that I don't have time to prepare a dish by the time I'm super hungry. I think cooking can be a challenge for Aspies because it does take a great deal of executive functioning.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2020, 4:08 am

If I don't have time to cook, I sure don't have time to go out and wait for someone else to cook, especially with all the new precautions. If I've worked late, I'll have some fruit juice or another light snack to get me through the cooking time. Often, I'll make enough for three days and then just re-heat leftovers, or do other advance preparation for quick cooking. A complex sandwich can also provide a balanced meal.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2020, 4:21 pm

I can't cook.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2020, 7:25 pm

I can cook just fine.

I never attempt anything super fancy or particularly good looking like an artistically plated chef prepared meal, but I can cook pretty much any regular food I set out to.