Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 1:23 am

I wish I could cook. I can boil water so.....PASTA :mrgreen:
Honestly, microwaving works for me. Im too lazy to cook

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 1:41 am

Not really, but my slow-cooker lets me pretend. :)

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 4:14 pm

Simple things. I often get startled by the loud pops

Donald Morton
Toucan
Toucan

01 Apr 2019, 4:24 pm

I only cook occasionally for two reasons, I don't have the patience to do the necessary prep, and I really dislike the cleanup. I'll cook simple dishes like grilled cheese, eggs and stuff like that. If I do a more ambitious meal, I usually cook something that can be parsed into portions that can be frozen. But meals are mostly prepared foods.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 4:35 pm

I can cook.

When I cook for others, I tend to follow instructions, measure out ingredients exactly, mix properly, hover over the cooking process, remove from heat to the exact minute, and plate up in the neatest way possible.

When I cook just for myself, the meal doesn't look as pretty, but it does taste better.

breaks0
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Apr 2019, 4:48 pm

Does boiling/steaming grains and vegetables and eggs or baking (sweet) potatoes or vegan sausages count? My parents couldn't really cook so I never really learned beyond these basics. My ex and her mom were pretty good at cooking and about about 20 years ago when we were together (i'm 45 now), my ex taught me how to cook a few things, but I've long since forgotten.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2019, 4:51 pm

breaks0 wrote:
Does boiling/steaming grains and vegetables and eggs or baking (sweet) potatoes or vegan sausages count? My parents couldn't really cook so I never really learned beyond these basics. My ex and her mom were pretty good at cooking and about about 20 years ago when we were together (i'm 45 now), my ex taught me how to cook a few things, but I've long since forgotten.
Boiling, steaming, and baking definitely DO count as cooking methods! Pan-frying, sautéing, and broiling are also cooking methods.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2019, 1:47 am

Yes. There have been years when cooking has been the only way to afford enough healthy food. I prefer my own cooking, partly because it is familiar, and reliably vegan and low in chemical pollution. I buy a few prepared condiments, but sometimes make pasta sauce from scratch. I always make my own bread, sprouts, granola, hummus, and sweet treats. I'm learning how to store vegetables for the winter, and sometimes grow my own.
When I was young, we didn't get regular stories about clogged toilets and other digestive outrages. I'm sure that junk food is involved. I'm astonished at what people will put into their faces if it comes in a package, but the corporate cooks are very cunning. To avoid such hazards, I also have a full miniature kitchen in my car.
I have seen the world population triple, but our ideas of how to eat were set by my grandparents, still heavily influenced by life before we had trade and food preservation. If we don't give up meat, we will have far more extinctions before a human population crash. Just sharing a building with dead animal parts shuts off my digestion now.

Autiste
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Apr 2019, 2:01 pm

Technically I'm a fairly good cook, but I struggle with inertia (difficulty starting or changing tasks), so although I know how to make some pretty decent meals there's no guarantee I'll actually manage to.

I tend to manage to make one specific meal each day until I get fed up with it, then struggle with food altogether until I light on something else that I'll cook/prepare most days for a few weeks, ad infinitum.

(And I have chronic anorexia cycles which messes up everything food related for months at a time.)

Currently I'm struggling to manage having the right kinds of foods in that I can manage to make meals from. Urgh!

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2019, 3:41 am

I don't love cooking as much as I love feeding people. It sounds weird but I frequently make 8 course dinners even on weekdays and watch my family eat them all. :D I was not able to cook at all when I moved out, lived on instant noodles and frozen pizza for quite a while. I eventually learned cooking little by little. I think it's just like sports, some people are naturally better at them, but everyone can improve with enough practice. When people say "I can't do this or that" it usually means they're not interested in putting in the effort to do them. I found that usually people who don't love food tend to not improve their cooking. Also depressed people tend to not want to cook much, but eat lots of snacks.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Apr 2019, 3:53 am

I'm not really into cooking because I don't like to think about food - sensory problem, I believe.
I'm also discouraged by my husband who is a cuisine artist - I can't compete with him.
But I know how to turn raw ingredients from my fridge into something edible and nutricious with minimum effort. Even my children want to eat it, so it's apparently not really bad.
Baking and making casseroles are my favorites because they don't require precise timing. I don't have sense of time so frying is risky for me.
I also love the timer option in my cooker, so if I forget about the dish I was doing, it will automatically turn off and I still won't burn it :heart:

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

JD12345
Toucan
Toucan

05 Apr 2019, 5:51 am

Microwaving is about the only form of food preparation that I'm competent at.

SportsGamer35728
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Apr 2019, 6:46 am

I can grill steak and burgers, bake various things in the oven, use one of them awesome new air-fryers, and of course make stuff in the microwave. However, I'm cripplingly terrified of grilling chicken out of fear I won't cook it long enough! :P

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2019, 8:44 am

I have a quick read digital thermometer for making sure meat is properly cooked.

Diamondisis
Toucan
Toucan

15 Apr 2019, 5:00 pm

I love to cook. My dream job is to open a soup kitchen

Synic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Apr 2019, 12:12 pm

No I can't and it's a problem. I eat at work so that makes it easier but the food there is often not healthy. I'm planning on taking a cooking course in a few months. At the moment I make the same thing almost every week: rice with chicken. And I just don't really like it, so taking a course is no guarantee I'll start cooking for myself more often.