Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Lazershow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Aug 2016, 12:38 pm

Does anyone else tend to give up very easily. I often find myself thinking of just giving up on things that give me a lot of stress or that dont go my way right away. This has been especially apparent now that i have entered college and find a lot of my courses poorly explained and very stressful. I was just wondering if anyone else goes through this often or even from time to time and if anyone had any advice for me on how to cope with it. Any advice is appreciated.

Trekkie83
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Aug 2016, 1:19 pm

This is something that has been a big issue for me. I remember it started to happen a lot in college. I would encounter situations that I just could not figure out how to deal with. For example, I was taking a class and one of the final projects involved interviewing a foreign exchange student and writing a report about it. I just could not fathom bringing myself to interview someone. I couldn't even figure out how/where to find such a person. That assignment just upset me so much that I stopped going to that class all together (thus failing it). It's a shame because I was doing pretty well in that class up to that point. Sadly, this wasn't an isolated incident. I did manage to graduate college but it took me 5 years, instead of the usual 4, and even then, I just BARELY graduated.

The only advice I can offer is try to know yourself and what kinds of things will cause you issues. At the beginning of each semester I would carefully look through every syllabus and see if there was anything that looked like it would be problematic for me. If there was, I would drop that class and take something else. I was also very picky about professors. There were some that just had an attitude that I could not tolerate. On the other hand, there were some excellent ones that I would try to take as many classes with as I could.

I hope my suggestions help. That's pretty much how I made it through college. Unfortunately, I still run into plenty of situations where I feel overwhelmed and end up giving up.

Lazershow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Aug 2016, 2:06 pm

Thanks for the advice i greatly appreciate it. Some things on my syllabus did bother me so maybe ill look them over more closely.